What's new

Neillite Magic!

James Neill made the Eclipse Red Ring in Sheffield and he also made the legendary Neillite plastic razor which was licensed and manufactured in the US in co-operation with the Four Hundred Company NY (he visited the US to make a deal about his equally legendary hacksaw blades, and I guess this was a spin off).

Anyway, I collect bakelite DEs and really really wanted a Neillite after hearing so much praise for them.[

I've never seen one for sale in UK but a member here pointed out to me that they are plentiful in the States - someone was doing some buying for me over there so I asked them to pick me up a couple of Neillites, and here they are:
proxy.php

proxy.php

The most famous thing about the Neillite is the differential aggression.
Like the British bakelite masterpiece the Souplex Double Six, one side of the Neillite head is fiercely aggressive and the other side is milder.
The Double Six achieves this differing aggression by differing blade exposures, but the Neillite does it with differing blade gaps - the guard on the side with fewer scallops (on the right in the lower photo) drops away more quickly making a bigger blade gap and a more aggressive shave.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I found the milder side with more scallops still reasonably aggressive maybe like a pre-war Tech, and the aggressive side is at least FaTip fierce.
Both sides have that lovely bitey feel that I associate with 30's and 40's bakelites.

Everyone does it their own way with differential razors and,hey!, it's good to have options - I use the aggressive side for WTG and XTG, and the milder side for ATG and irritation troublespots. I could even go ATG on the upper lip that way.

And the real magic is in the guard design. It stretches the skin perfectly (and is slightly longer on the more aggressive side to compensate for the increased blade gap) and, coupled with the plastic construction, this gives a very very smooth shave indeed.

So here's the Neillite then: super aggressive one side, gentle yet efficient on the other and incredibly smooth with classic bakelite looks and manufactured by a Sheffield legend (who is still trading today as Spear&Jackson).
And that's magic!
proxy.php

proxy.php

Differential aggression is a great idea. This is an interesting Bakelite razor that had escaped my attention, thanks for posting.

Beautiful razors! Never knew they were created by the same man who designed the Eclipse Red Ring. Thanks for the information and pictures!

Twelve hours on I am still beautifully shaved by the Neillite with a Bic Chrome.

Weirdly, it's made my face feel cool all day like it's being air conditioned.

The R41 makes my face feel waxy, the Shavecraft Tech like warm slate and the G.B.S. bakelite like my face has been moisturised.

But the Neillite makes my face feel cooooooolllll!

The Neillite has been one of my top two favorite razors for long time. Most the time it's my favorite. It's become my razor that I compare all other new razors to. I picked one up at an antique store a while back and sat around until I got a chance to try it. I was amazed how close it shaved without irritating me. There is some bend to the blade which stiffens it like a slant, enabling it to cut through my tough beard with ease and without chatter like I get with my 2011 R41. There is really a satisfaction that I get going ATG on the third pass with the aggressive side, getting that BBS without much effort. I tend to use it for more than 1 days growth. If I've shaved the day before, my favorite to reach for the 2013 R41.

I hadn't thought about the big curvature and stiffness of the blade before, but you're right - it's a major factor in how well the Neillite shaves, and allows me to go ATG on the upper lip!

And thanks for alerting me to how plentiful Neillites are in the States. Everybody should have one :)

I had not heard of the Neillite. Is the Neillite 400 the only one, or are there other models out there as well?

What is the difference between the brown and black (besides color)?

I had not heard of the Neillite. Is the Neillite 400 the only one, or are there other models out there as well?

What is the difference between the brown and black (besides color)?

I'm unclear on this myself.
The brown and black models are identical in design (as is every other Neillite I've seen pictures of).
It's a true classic design and there are German and Italian clones of it.

The black one says "Neillite 400" on the head whereas the brown one only days "Neillite", so perhaps the Neillite was produced in black as a special edition for the Four Hundred Company.
And there are also black ones with "Watkins" on the handle.

It's a very good question and it would be interesting to see how many different variants of the Neillite there are.

My understanding is that one was made in the US and the other in England. 400=US? I have both and they seem to shave the same. Only recently have I seen the Watkins variants. I wonder about the story behind them.

Thanks for the information regarding James Neill and the Red Ring.

I have spent hundreds on very nice razors. I've owned several RazoRocks (slants, mamba, babysmooth). I have many many slant razors. I have a mongoose. I have major rad and this one that I compare everything to.

My brown Neillite is also made in USA.
[MENTION=88843]jankdc[/MENTION]: can we have some pics of your Neillite please?

My brown Neillite is also made in USA.
@jankdc: can we have some pics of your Neillite please?

Sorry it took so long. I've been very busy with my day job and I still haven't gotten all the pictures taken from my last Zenith order. I also had to hunt around looking for my Nellites. (yeah I'm kind of a collector). I was amazed I had so many (I'm also sure that I have a couple of more somewhere with cracked caps that I was going to make into a devette.)

The first three are labeled Neillite. The ones until the red one is labeled Nellite 400. They shave the same and the caps are basically the same with the difference in color. All are made in USA. There is a difference with the handle in the first two. The red and black one is curved for what I assume is an underarm razor. It is also made in USA and labeled Neillite. The last is a knockoff, without any identification. It has a different handle and the guard is different. The topcap is warped, so I've never shaved with it.

$IMG_20151028_135910958.jpg$IMG_20151028_135930537.jpg$IMG_20151028_140524102.jpg$IMG_20151028_140542470.jpg$IMG_20151028_140604387_TOP.jpg

So it looks like it's brown or black then - those photos inspired me to shave with my brown Neillite tonight.
proxy.php

I really noticed the difference between the milder and more aggressive sides this time, and it works best for me using the more aggressive for WTG and XTG as well as a single pass on irritation troublespots, and using the milder side for all over ATG which has resulted in the best shave on my top lip that I've ever had.
Magic!

I used mine last week for the first time. Had it for about a year.

I have to get use to the weight and the duel sides. I used the aggressive side WTG, XTG, and ATG. Not being able to flip the razor over was weird.

It was a great shave though, excellent razor.

$tmp_14705-20151108_085311-1-402395737.jpg

$tmp_14705-20151108_085321-11176443360.jpg

$tmp_14705-20151108_085333-1-1777049597.jpg

So here's a razor that's clearly inspired by the Neillite, this dinky Canadian Dulev travel razor with a telescopic handle:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom