What's new

Neil Peart has died

Just watched this video you posted. Wow! Such power! Geddy Lee's voice took some getting used to, but eventually ya got used to it and it kinda' became home...comforting in it's own way, because ya knew all that was to come.
Was there ever a tighter rock band? Peart doled out so much effort, while being a lead drummer in classic power trio tradition, and yet he did SO much more, perfectly. It's like he took Ginger Baker to a whole other place. Don't mean any disrespect to Ginger Baker though. We only recently lost that great drummer as well. May they both rest in peace and may we celebrate Ginger's and Neil's lives by listening to their music. Don't forget, never forget.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
In a sense, it's a comfort. Word of his cancer was spread some time ago, and the prognosis was along the lines of "don't buy green bananas."

I don't mean to make light of anything. I started mourning then.

I have a very good friend who, by virtue of another, very good friend, got to be front row & center to see Rush. She's enthusiastic. Very enthusiastic. Always has been. I don't mean that in any condescending way at all. Apparently, Neil Peart agreed.

When the concert was over, and everyone was going bananas, and Neil was on the bus, someone came up to my friend, holding a pair of drumsticks, and said, "Mr. Peart wanted you to have these."

Wow.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
In a sense, it's a comfort. Word of his cancer was spread some time ago, and the prognosis was along the lines of "don't buy green bananas."

I have a very good friend who, by virtue of another, very good friend, got to be front row & center to see Rush. She's enthusiastic. Very enthusiastic. Always has been. I don't mean that in any condescending way at all. Apparently, Neil Peart agreed.

When the concert was over, and everyone was going bananas, and Neil was on the bus, someone came up to my friend, holding a pair of drumsticks, and said, "Mr. Peart wanted you to have these."

Wow.
Priceless. How good of him.

Wow.

Nice story.

They were having a moving tribute on Deep Tracks on Sirius XM tonight.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
1979, maybe 1980. Permanent Waves tour. I had tickets, when the local rock radio station announced Neil had broken a bone in his hand that day.

We all held our breath that afternoon. Would the show be cancelled? Looked that way.

That night Rush went on stage ... Man, did they play.

Spirit of Radio? It was the spirit of rock itself.

Live forever, Neil. We remember.

AA

Saw Rush in 1981,signals tour. I was 11. When people hear about these classic rockers
dying, they seem so surprised,like they’re still young. I’m 50, I’m sure Neil was
Older than me! That’s why I went to concerts back then. Those guys weren’t kids then.
When all the old rockers are gone, it’s over. You will never see the likes of it again.
Rush was a great band to see live, rockers with jazz chops. R.I.P.

While posting my Corned Beef 2020 thread earlier, I wondered if anyone else was as big a RUSH fan, specifically a Neil Peart fan such as me, as I am still tearfully grieving! After reading through all of this thread, I came across your post and remembered a video I saw a while ago with the reference to the bananas (at 00:50). I wonder if he knew then about his future. I find the video funny, sad, entertaining and ultimately realize what good friends these guys are. Since my wife only drinks Pinot Noir, I am now on a quest to find the Jonata Pinot Noir they ordered so many bottles of during their dinner. I can't figure out what white they are drinking though. I read that Geddy Lee is a wine enthusiast/collector. So he pretty much knows his **** when it comes to wines.

Although the video is only 12 and 1/2 minutes long, there has to be a LOT more tape of them out there as it was a 4 or 5 hour long dinner. Enjoy the video.

Wow.

Top Bottom