What's new

Neil Peart has died

This sucks. He was my hero. My favorite musician and lyrics that helped shape my life.
I'm 50 years old and I'm acting like a 5 year old who had their puppy die.
Of all the celebrity deaths in the last few years this one hits me the most. They were my favourite band since late grade school and for many years after. If I want to annoy my wife and daughter I blast some early Rush. They're going to get an earful of them tonight!
I’m with you guys. I first heard the Signals album when living in Germany in 1982 and I’ve never looked back. I don’t have what it takes to put the words together to express my feelings. Rush was more than just a band and the loss is...colossal.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
And the men who hold high places
Must be the ones who start
To mold a new reality
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart

The blacksmith and the artist
Reflect it in their art
They forge their creativity
Closer to the heart
Yes closer to the heart

Philosophers and plowmen
Each must know his part
To sow a new mentality
Closer to the heart
Yes closer to the heart, yeah,

oh
Whoa whoa
You can be the captain
And I will draw the chart
Sailing into destiny
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart
Well closer to the heart
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart
I said closer to the heart
Well closer to the heart
Closer to your heart

RIP to one of the greatest of all time. He played the beat of my teens.
Amen.

I woke up thinking of how this still sucks. I mean, he lost his first family within a year (daughter in a car accident and wife to cancer). Now he dies of cancer and leaves behind his second family (wife and 10 year old daughter). And it wasn't just any cancer but brain cancer. Likely diagnosed a couple years into retirement. A guy so intelligent and a voracious reader who penned such great lyrics. There's just something very cruel about these circumstances.

Rush and The Who were two of my favorite bands in the mid to late 70's and the Police were one of my favorites in the early 80's. You can see a theme here with Neil Peart, Keith Moon and Stewart Copeland pounding the drum kits. It's difficult to pick one drummer over another of this three, so I will say they are tied for first. You can probably throw in John Bonham in the mix and there is your Mt. Rushmore of drummers.

RIP Professor.

My brother is one and so was Neil. They are percussionists. After losing Neil Innes and now Peart my musical world is shrinking.

Screenshot_20200111-091754_Spotify.jpg

Let's spin some Rush this weekend friends! Im starting from the beginning.

I missed this news somehow. So sad. As a drummer myself I admired his precision, technicality and musicality.

He also used some of the biggest kits I've ever seen (besides maybe The Dead).

I am a little late to this post, but I didn't want it to go without comment.
The news truly saddened me, much like the news of Chris Cornell's death did. To us hard rock guys who like hard rock that has a soul, this is just heartbreaking news.
I wish peace to his family, friends, and my fellow fans of Rush and Peart.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am a little late to this post, but I didn't want it to go without comment.
The news truly saddened me, much like the news of Chris Cornell's death did. To us hard rock guys who like hard rock that has a soul, this is just heartbreaking news.
I wish peace to his family, friends, and my fellow fans of Rush and Peart.
Know what you mean. One day Jimmy Page will die

Top Bottom