What's new

David LaFlamme has died

David LaFlamme, one of the founders of It's A Beautiful Day, a 60s San Francisco rock band, has died. Their first album introduced me to to the electric violin in rock, their vocals superb and this album is still, after all these years, never far from my turntable.

I was at an outdoor, 6 band concert one summer where It’s A Beautiful Day played. Of course, White Bird was intended to be he encore number. But about halfway through their set the Goodyear blimp floated above and they had to quickly launch White Bird.

Ohh that brings back powerful memories.

New Zealand John, who was on his 3rd trip round the world and settled in Ramsgate where I was living and ended up living with and marrying my friend Carol, first played me this album in 1980. I guess I was 11 years late! He recalled getting it when it first came out. He had an original copy.

John was 32 and I was 18. Seemed vastly world wise, as he was. A big gentle guy, a dead ringer for John Denver even down to his specs. A really really cool guy. He was head bouncer at a big local disco. He was very gentle about his bouncing from my few observations! Effective though.

I recall wonderful chess games, great conversations, general hilarity, good wine (my first experience of the stuff) and certain cumbustable tobacco-type substances. That was then. I was a kid, and so was Carol and John in the scheme of things.

A lifetime ago, but sometimes it seems like yesterday.

They ended up going to NZ together in 1983. I was best man at their wedding.

This album brings back strong, happy and evocative memories.

David LaFlamme. May his memory be a blessing.

Last edited:
RIP. We're losing them with startling regularly. I shouldn't be surprised.

I never did get around to seeing him with the band. I still pull that self titled album out and play it on a semi regular basis.

White Bird was written out of the depression the band was going through - spending a rainy Winter, living in an attic in Seattle, thanks to their manager. Here's one link to that story.

... Thom

Last edited:
Top Bottom