What's new

Negative Alum Reaction

Not sure why people ignore this simple fact that there is a big difference between Ammonium Alum and Potassium Alum.

RazoRock Alum deodorant spray ingredients list:

Ingredients: Purified Water, Potassium Alum (Mineral Salts), Certified Organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Extract.

You have no issues with this deodorant because it is made with Potassium Alum.

Good to know thanks! I always hated chemistry.

For those that have a sensitivity to alum it is generally for one of 2 reasons:

1. You are as already pointed out using Ammonium Alum, which is a synthetic form of naturally occurring Potash (potassium) Alum, and has a higher ph than your skin.

2. You already have dry skin and the use of an Alkayli is drying it out even further and you are not replacing the moisture being lost.

If you have dry skin or lean to dry skin and are using Potash Alum try using a balm as part of the post shave. There are some who can not tolerate alum at all on their face due to having sensitive skin.

My experience with Alum has been I will get a rash usually if I am applying too much pressure during the shave, this normally on my neck where I have a difficult time keeping light pressure consistent, and the rash normally disappears within an hour.

Last edited:
I had the same problem... I removed alum from the equation and the irritation was gone. I just use witch hazel and a/s with much better results. The alum is now just for getting some grip when stretching skin.

+1 certain shaves would leave my face feeling raw, then when I added alum in the post shave routine the burn would get worse. Now even if I get that raw feeling while completing the final pass when I apply witch hazel the burn never comes and my skin looks great! Thayers unscented alcohol free does the trick for me!

I tossed in an alum block on a blade purchase a few years ago. Did not want it or need it, just needed the eextrea couple $$$ to get free shipping.

It sat for the longest time on the shelf behind me.

this last week was Alum item of the week and I have been using it every day. No issues at all.

What I got was "Monster Block" solid Alum. Must have done something right as it has not caused me any issues

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/265064-Monster-Block-First-Impressions

+1 certain shaves would leave my face feeling raw, then when I added alum in the post shave routine the burn would get worse. Now even if I get that raw feeling while completing the final pass when I apply witch hazel the burn never comes and my skin looks great! Thayers unscented alcohol free does the trick for me!

Exactly the Thayers product I use and it's very nice, it's like a soothing water application.

What I got was "Monster Block" solid Alum. Must have done something right as it has not caused me any issues

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/265064-Monster-Block-First-Impressions
have you found any advantage to using it?

have you found any advantage to using it?

No, not really. I only used it because it was the item of the week. After tomorrow I may not look at it again.

I use a styptic pencil when I nick myself or have a weeper so have no need for an alum block

IMG_0386.gif

I gave up using it on my neck. Face only now. I can have the best shave and still flare up my neck.
I'm finding it interesting the number of people I'm reading about having issues when using alum.

Early on I enjoyed using the alum to measure the effectiveness of my shave, but it's rare I get tingling and it's not worth the face irritation.

Top Bottom