What's new

Negative Alum Reaction

So after months of trying to identify the cause of my severe razor burn and bumps... was it pressure? angle? lather? blade? razor? brush? I finally realized, it was alum. I have been applying alum daily after shaving (post shave is cold water, alum, witch hazel) and would leave it on for about 1 minute while I cleaned up. It would burn pretty bad most of the time for a few seconds then calm down. After rinsing it off my skin would look fine but within about 10 minutes my neck would be bright red and splotchy with some razor bumps which would last for several hours. No matter what I did I could not remediate this problem. Three days ago I nixed alum on a whim to see what would happen, and you know what? razor burn gone, redness gone, razor bumps gone. I believe I was having a reaction to the alum. So even if alum works for some people, do know that it is possible to have a reaction to it.

So after months of trying to identify the cause of my severe razor burn and bumps... was it pressure? angle? lather? blade? razor? brush? I finally realized, it was alum. I have been applying alum daily after shaving (post shave is cold water, alum, witch hazel) and would leave it on for about 1 minute while I cleaned up. It would burn pretty bad most of the time for a few seconds then calm down. After rinsing it off my skin would look fine but within about 10 minutes my neck would be bright red and splotchy with some razor bumps which would last for several hours. No matter what I did I could not remediate this problem. Three days ago I nixed alum on a whim to see what would happen, and you know what? razor burn gone, redness gone, razor bumps gone. I believe I was having a reaction to the alum. So even if alum works for some people, do know that it is possible to have a reaction to it.
What kind of alum have you been using?

I did get a terrible rash when I tried Ammonium Alum as deodorant and I imagine would have been the same if applied on face.
I use Potassium Alum with great results (replacing alcohol in AS so I can use WH).

I sometimes get a burn/rash when I use the Razorock alum, but I have to be pretty heavy handed with it (granted I am heavy handed with it after particularly rough shaves... so take with a grain of salt for that).

Also, I am not sure there is much in the world which someone, somewhere doesn't have a bad reaction with. YMMV is really true, in this case it seems you don't get along with the alum you are using. Try without it for a few days, keep a styptic pencil on hand (just in case for weepers) and see if you get red marks where you touch it, if need be.

I had the same problem... I removed alum from the equation and the irritation was gone. I just use witch hazel and a/s with much better results. The alum is now just for getting some grip when stretching skin.

+1 striker6

There is a 2013(?) thread on what I wouldn't buy if I were starting over--alum block was mentioned several times. To be fair, you left it on too long and the dry winter air may have played a part.

Dennis

I quickly found that I had the same reaction, not so much above the chin but almost anywhere on my neckline gets irritation when I hit it with the alum

I had the exact same reaction to alum, regardless of brand, duration of use etc. I stopped using it years ago.

+1 striker6

There is a 2013(?) thread on what I wouldn't buy if I were starting over--alum block was mentioned several times. To be fair, you left it on too long and the dry winter air may have played a part.

Dennis

retrospectively maybe it was a bit too long (and you're right, i did start using alum in the middle of winter)

I quickly found that I had the same reaction, not so much above the chin but almost anywhere on my neckline gets irritation when I hit it with the alum

same thing, my face was virtually fine... it was my neck.

I had the exact same reaction to alum, regardless of brand, duration of use etc. I stopped using it years ago.

glad I'm not alone in this!

This happened to me every time I've used alum. I've used the "unbranded" alum from WCS and the Plisson alum from an MdC order, and both have done the same thing. I would get really bad razor bumps that would last a couple of days. Its a shame too because my skin would be so nice and smooth afterward, but then again I get a nice shave these days as well.

I don't get any visual irritation from alum, but I do not enjoy the itchy reaction it causes for about thirty minutes after application. I even tried using it in conjunction with witch hazel this morning to alleviate the discomfort to no avail. Although I find alum leaves the skin tighter than witch hazel when used as an astringent I don't feel the tradeoff in comfort is worth it.

What kind of alum have you been using?

I did get a terrible rash when I tried Ammonium Alum as deodorant and I imagine would have been the same if applied on face.

This was me using those deodorant crystals but not with the Osama alum block I use on my face after I shave.

Similar for me. The Alum would irritate that tough spot on my neck and leave it bright red. Oddly I have been using RR's Alum spray deodorant with no issues.

Not sure why people ignore this simple fact that there is a big difference between Ammonium Alum and Potassium Alum.

RazoRock Alum deodorant spray ingredients list:

Ingredients: Purified Water, Potassium Alum (Mineral Salts), Certified Organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Extract.

You have no issues with this deodorant because it is made with Potassium Alum.

Newbie here. Let's say that one has eliminated alum from his/her post-shaving routine. Wouldn't it still be a good idea to keep it around for nicks and cuts? I've heard that styptic pencils burn and sting.

Still learnin' and researchin'

-Ross

Ross, styptics are made of ground up alum, they do the same job as an alum block regarding cuts by stopping the bleeding. I've found the pencil better to use on a cut as it can be applied more precisely to a smaller area. I've found alum blocks and styptics to burn just the same on a cut.

Newbie here. Let's say that one has eliminated alum from his/her post-shaving routine. Wouldn't it still be a good idea to keep it around for nicks and cuts? I've heard that styptic pencils burn and sting.

Still learnin' and researchin'

-Ross

Hi Ross, an alum block won't necessarily close up cuts and nicks. Its more for smoothing the skin post-shave. A styptic contains more than just alum. From Wikipedia:

A common delivery system for this is a styptic or hemostatic pencil (not to be confused with a caustic pencil). This is a short stick of medication, usually anhydrousaluminium sulfate, potassium alum (both are types of alum) or titanium dioxide which is applied directly to the bleeding site. The high ionic strength promotesflocculation of the blood, and the astringent chemical causes local vasoconstriction. Before safety razors were invented, it was a standard part of a shaving kit and was used to seal shaving cuts. Some people continue to use styptic pencils for minor skin wounds from safety or electric razors.

As well, application is completely different. An alum block is just that, a block that you rub on your face. A styptic pencil is much more targeted and only to be used where you draw blood and not all over your face.

Alum does not agree with my skin. I currently have the Rzorock alum stick thingy and while it did its job of tightening the skin and stopping weepers my face just did not tolerate it well. My biggest complaint is that my face becomes so tacky after I use it that no matter how many times I rinse my face with water, I cannot smoothly run my fingers over my face afterward. Later on I get a dry itchy feeling. I'm sticking with Thayers unscented toner as it relieves my skin, tightens its up well, as leaves my face feeling refreshed. I'll keep the alum around just to handle the occasional weeper or for added grip when skin stretching while using my DX.

Again, I am happy to see that this is a common problem and not just me or my skin. I've not used alum in a week and aside from one spot on my neck I do not get anywhere near the irritation I did while using it.

Top Bottom