What's new

Witch Hazel or Thayers or something else

Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic would be my suggestion.

I always have a bottle on hand. It's my son's go-to post shave product.
Love this stuff and what I was going to say to try :) o

ld spice and this are my main two and prefer the no alcohol of the Lucky

I do have some thayers but not sure about the scent forgot what it is ? But mine also has the alcohol in it so its more a thayers aftershave hazel mix I guess ? Not sure which one that is but no sticky for me either

@cvac

I think I have a bottle of that Thayer's alcohol somewhere. From what I remember, I didn't care for it, as it had too much bite/sting for my liking.

I believe it was this one:

"Witch hazel extract, aloe vera, purified water, natural grain alcohol (20%), natural witch hazel fragrance"
Ten or twenty percent alcohol is nothing for me. I routinely use aftershave that is 70-80% alcohol.

I have tried Witch Hazels many times and never felt any benefit. Does it make you skin smoother? Less irritated? I just apply balm or Almond oil after the shave and my skin is silky smooth and soft.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thayers medicated witch hazel was excellent for a aftershave and had about 14% alcohol with clove and other natural herb juices in it. I did some limited research into witch hazel and folks have been using it for a long time(many decades). I read a lot reviews on Amazon and folks with skin issues said it worked and showed photo's of their skin before and after and seeing is believing IMO.
I'm not sure if they even make the old original Thayers medicated witch hazel anymore because I could not find it anywhere. People have migrated to Thayers toners with no alcohol and they like the fragrance instead of what the alcohol does to clean the skin and acts as a preservative also for longer shelf life. I swear that clove added to witch hazel is healthy for skin bumps or blemishes from my experiences.
I do mix witch hazel with strong scented aftershaves to dilute the scent if it is to strong, witch hazel will turn aftershave a milky color if it has scent powders in the aftershave also. Witch hazel can be used for cleaning skin, lesions and mosquito bites and other skin bumps.

Thayers witch hazel is great stuff. It tones and soothes the skin. Alcohol is very bad for the skin. It is very harsh and drying. During the pandemic, doctors saw a huge increase in people coming in for alcohol burns and irritation from disinfecting their hands. Imagine putting that on your face!

The glycerin in Thayers leaves a tacky mess behind; I've never cottoned to it. Humphrey's WH works fine, as does the Dr. Saymans alcohol-free toner with witch hazel, rosewater, and rice protein. Got some Stirling unscented WH and aloe on the way to try out.
I’ve never had any problems with any stickiness from Thayer’s. Humphrey’s is good too but I prefer thayer’s

Thayers Unscented for me. I apply it before my aftershave.
Same here. Thayers, then Nivea Sensitive balm. Thayers Unscented smells almost nothing and in my case when applied to my face it feels comfortable and a little bit warm. I’ve used Dickinson’s Original “Fragrance free” before, but it smells like witch hazel and contains alcohol that dries my skin.

I have tried Witch Hazels many times and never felt any benefit. Does it make you skin smoother? Less irritated? I just apply balm or Almond oil after the shave and my skin is silky smooth and soft.
The benefit I have found is that it cleans off any real residue and calms. Keep in mind though the mix I use has witch hazel and aloe so something indeed is left behind as well. After the witch hazel dries, I then put on one of my soothing balms. I don't use the witch hazel often, just when I have a very irritated shave. I usually just use alum, then after shave, then a soothing balm. I hope this helps.

Thayers witch hazel is great stuff. It tones and soothes the skin. Alcohol is very bad for the skin. It is very harsh and drying. During the pandemic, doctors saw a huge increase in people coming in for alcohol burns and irritation from disinfecting their hands. Imagine putting that on your face!
This is nonsense. My BIL is a surgeon and worked in emergency rooms during the pandemic. I can tell you that most of the problems he dealt with had nothing to do with alcohol hand sanitizer.

Alcohol is also not bad for the skin when used in an aftershave and applied correctly. It is an antiseptic and has been used for generations for that purpose. Go to any old school barber, especially outside the USA and people will be using it. Many people are not very bright and don't use it correctly, then wonder why they are doing the Home Alone scream when they slap the stuff on.

Old timer B&B members, do we have an aftershave tutorial? If not there should be one. I thought the "alcohol is bad" myth died around here years ago.

The benefit I have found is that it cleans off any real residue and calms. Keep in mind though the mix I use has witch hazel and aloe so something indeed is left behind as well. After the witch hazel dries, I then put on one of my soothing balms. I don't use the witch hazel often, just when I have a very irritated shave. I usually just use alum, then after shave, then a soothing balm. I hope this helps.
That makes sense. I can see it as a cleaning agent. Just never felt anything from it. But then again, all the skin food in soaps supposed to stay on

I am finding it difficult to find the astringent version of Thayers and more particularly the original version on both astringent and toner here locally in Australia. Oddly Thayers has become far more accessible here in Australia than it ever has but the above two have been impossible for me to find.

I still miss the peach version of Thayers.

I haven't seen Humphreys here locally either and had tried to buy it many times myself over the years.

I do use Thayers Unscented more often than not though even though I have a few bottles of Thayers witch hazel.

This is nonsense. My BIL is a surgeon and worked in emergency rooms during the pandemic. I can tell you that most of the problems he dealt with had nothing to do with alcohol hand sanitizer.

Alcohol is also not bad for the skin when used in an aftershave and applied correctly. It is an antiseptic and has been used for generations for that purpose. Go to any old school barber, especially outside the USA and people will be using it. Many people are not very bright and don't use it correctly, then wonder why they are doing the Home Alone scream when they slap the stuff on.

Old timer B&B members, do we have an aftershave tutorial? If not there should be one. I thought the "alcohol is bad" myth died around here years ago.
Normally when I shave I use alcohol based aftershave and love the burn. When I want less burn, I rub my hands together then let the alcohol evaporate a bit before applying to my skin.

Top Bottom