What's new

Need some help identifying some old razors i picked up

Dating and identifying these is proving to be much harder than i originally thought it would be 😂. Any help is appreciated if you need more pictures let me know. Thanks! There is also a box with a small wooden case in it that has a strop on the backside but it won't let me upload the photo for some reason.

Attachments

• razor5.jpg
    razor5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • razor4.jpg
    razor4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • razor3.jpg
    razor3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • razor2.jpg
    razor2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • razor1.jpg
    razor1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • razor6.jpg
    razor6.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
I also have this one with no scales if someone could point me in the right direction to make new ones.

Attachments

• nohandle.jpg
    nohandle.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Legion

Staff member
I also have this one with no scales if someone could point me in the right direction to make new ones.
Here you are. There are other good threads in the restoration stickies.

Legion

Staff member
The W+B with the pressed scales and the one without scales are about 1870ish, the one with the black scales and England written on the tang is ~1900ish. The razors with the light coloured scales are from the 30's, ish.

Legion

Staff member
Great Thankyou! I’ve never tried a true wedge, have you used one?
Sure, plenty.

They feel a bit different to use, and the silent cutting can seem a little strange if you are used to full hollows, but they are no harder to shave with. They can be a little more tricky to hone.

The W+B with the pressed scales and the one without scales are about 1870ish, the one with the black scales and England written on the tang is ~1900ish. The razors with the light coloured scales are from the 30's, ish.
Thanks! The one with the black scales has a lot of pitting and a bunch near the cutting edge. Is it workable to get it useable? Would it be worth it to send it to someone

Legion

Staff member
Thanks! The one with the black scales has a lot of pitting and a bunch near the cutting edge. Is it workable to get it useable? Would it be worth it to send it to someone
Mmmm.... It looks like a pretty meaty blade, so you should be able to drill deep enough to get to good steel. Whether it is worth it, you would have to send pictures to the honer and get a quote and their opinion.

Some of the other blades would be less work for the same shave, that's for sure.

Mmmm.... It looks like a pretty meaty blade, so you should be able to drill deep enough to get to good steel. Whether it is worth it, you would have to send pictures to the honer and get a quote and their opinion.

Some of the other blades would be less work for the same shave, that's for sure.
Gotcha Im talking to gemstar customs right now about honing lol

Top Bottom