What's new

Need Bicycle Model Suggestions

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Back and neck problems preclude my use of typical road or mountain bike geometries. I want a bike that I can ride in a fairly upright position, but I don't want a clunky cruiser, fat tire or similar bike. All the hybrid and "fitness" bikes I see from the major manufacturers still require too forward of a body position. I don't want drop handlebars. I do want a relatively light weight, responsive, multi gear, skinny tire, efficient bike. I won't need suspension. This will be used mostly on relatively level ground or gently rolling hills. I'm not interested in a recumbent. I'm not concerned with aero efficiency, I won't be racing. I do want to pedal at a fairly high RMP and relatively low rolling resistance. So basically I want the powertrain performance of a road bike, but with the upright riding position of a cruiser. I expect to pay for performance but would like to keep it around $2-3K in price at the most, probably would not consider anything lower than $1.5K. Anyone have any suggestions?

I find dropping a size and potentially raising the handlebars improves upright geometry. Overall, I would suggest you go to a bike fitting service - they should be able to advise and source you the geometry you want.

Alternatively Pashley have a number interesting traditional and modern takes on traditional designs. One of their models might prove a good design.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Seveneighth , thanks for the suggestions. The Pashley bikes look interesting, but still a bit "clunky", very cool "old school" though. Not sure where to go for a "bike fitting service", other than the local bike shops pushing what ever they have in stock. I wish I could just take a road bike and change the stem and handlebars, but the geometry would be all wrong. I tried modifying my old Trek carbon and aluminum frame mountain bike, but still not good enough.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@ColtRevolver , I tried that with my Trek 8700, put an adjustable stem and "butterfly" touring handlebars on it. It was an improvement, but still too far forward riding position. At least for riding any distance. A ride would start out OK, but 45 min. into a ride it became uncomfortable and down right miserable by the end of the ride. I hesitate to experiment any further with that bike because the old Judy Rock Shoks are "shot" and no longer made. I wish I could put a road bike fork on it, but those wouldn't fit the head set.

@Seveneighth , thanks for the suggestions. The Pashley bikes look interesting, but still a bit "clunky", very cool "old school" though. Not sure where to go for a "bike fitting service", other than the local bike shops pushing what ever they have in stock. I wish I could just take a road bike and change the stem and handlebars, but the geometry would be all wrong. I tried modifying my old Trek carbon and aluminum frame mountain bike, but still not good enough.
Independent bike fitting seems to be becoming quite popular over here in the UK. I know a guy that has given up his day job to do that and cycle coaching full time. I've got to believe it is happening the other side of the pond. You guys always seem to be ahead of us with things like that.

I understand about the Pashley. If you look at something like the Guvnor or the Countryman they are both more upright. The Guvnor has those strange backwards handle bars and more relaxed forks. If you don't like those then look for similar elements in other bikes, for instance a flat bar touring bike like Cube or the Dawes Galaxy X.

What I've found by accident, is that a compact frame a size smaller than I would normally ride has a shorter cross bar. Pair that with rake back or high straight bars and you will probably end up with a bike that suits the geometry you need.

I have a $140 Walmart Huffy, which is not meant for off road exactly, though that's mostly what I do with it. I have a bad back and shoulder issues as well, and this has proven well for me. Frame is light, bars are high, I just added a more comfortable seat and better tread, and away I went. Only a 6 speed, but the gears are smooth as butter, and when need be, it hauls a few things home from the market comfortably. I'm sure this exact model has passed, but I know Walmart here at least always has something quite similar.
proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I do find the geometry of the least expensive "comfort" bikes appealing, but not the performance levels. I really want higher end components and a light weight bike. I may have to go the custom bike route. I could ride my wife's Trek which has close to the geometry that I seek, but not the performance/quality level, plus it doesn't fit me well enough for extended use.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
2AC12F25-038A-4AE5-A6DF-158405C683CD.jpeg
00ECBAB7-C925-4304-8435-3673954FF009.jpeg
3FA18E8E-9DD0-489A-896C-FA8A6EEE0546.jpeg

Current mods to my Trek 8700. I could try a stem extender, but would probably need to redo some cables. The fork is still problematic in that the suspension is shot and therefore offers nothing for the extra weight. I do have fairly low rolling resistance 1.25 in. wide tires. Also thought about a slightly wider Brooks touring seat for more upright comfort.

Attachments

• 497F4669-7628-45F6-9452-EF7AB400743F.jpeg
    497F4669-7628-45F6-9452-EF7AB400743F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I contacted Trek, there is no current replacement fork from Trek for this older bike. Current Judy forks are not compatible, according to Trek. I don't really want a suspension fork anyways, but the only way to ride this bike is with the current fork. There is absolutely NO compression/suspension left.

Legion

Staff member
Surly Longhaul Trucker. Being a touring bike, the riding position is more upright, and it has an extra chainring, so you can get your high RPM.

They do come with drop bars, but most of the time I ride with my hands on the hoods anyway, and being able to change hand placement on long rides is a bonus, IMO.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Totally not what you are looking for, but my next one will be with electric assist, per my wife and my cardiologist.

I recommend a Townie by Electra. This bike is very unique. At first glance it looks like an ordinary cruiser. But if you look close notice the seat tube does not go down to where the gears are. Like all other bikes do. It is about 6 inches behind it. This kind of makes it a semi-recumbent. You sit more up-right. Very easy to use.
It comes in several choices of gearing. You can get it in a 7 speed hub or 12 speed derailleur or other choices.
This bike is an engineering masterpiece.

Townie.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You're probably looking for something that is considered "crank forward". Some of the RANS bikes might fit the bill:
Bicycles - RANS Bikes

Very interesting! Thanks.
I recommend a Townie by Electra. This bike is very unique. At first glance it looks like an ordinary cruiser. But if you look close notice the seat tube does not go down to where the gears are. Like all other bikes do. It is about 6 inches behind it. This kind of makes it a semi-recumbent. You sit more up-right. Very easy to use.
It comes in several choices of gearing. You can get it in a 7 speed hub or 12 speed derailleur or other choices.
This bike is an engineering masterpiece.

View attachment 906312
Thanks, another interesting design.

Perhaps a flat bar road bike might fit the bill, like the Cannondale Quick 3. You might need to get one with a relatively small frame for your height, and it would also be helpful if it has a handlebar stem which could be swapped out for a shorter one, to minimise the amount you have to lean forward. Such flat bar bikes aren't that common here in the UK, but a few companies make them, and for me they do give a more comfortable riding position.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Cumberland Sausage , I suspect that the flat bar road bike may still result in a too forward position, but I have yet to try one. I need to go by a local bike shop and try a few styles. I've looked at the Trek FX and Crossrip bikes online, which are essentially that. Despite my misgivings voiced earlier in this thread re: trying to further adapt my above pictured Trek 8700, I went ahead and ordered a stem extension to see if I could improve things until I settle on a replacement bike.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Got out on the bike today for the first time in over a year. Just a short 45 min. ride. My bike still needs some tweaking to make it more comfortable for longer rides. I hope to install the stem extension this weekend. Although my back didn't bother me on this short ride, my neck did, need a more upright position, hence the stem extension. I may have to change out my saddle, but that can wait until after I get the handle bar height where it needs to be and see how that feels on a longer ride.

Top Bottom