What's new

Need Bicycle Model Suggestions

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Got out on the bike today for the first time in over a year. Just a short 45 min. ride. My bike still needs some tweaking to make it more comfortable for longer rides. I hope to install the stem extension this weekend. Although my back didn't bother me on this short ride, my neck did, need a more upright position, hence the stem extension. I may have to change out my saddle, but that can wait until after I get the handle bar height where it needs to be and see how that feels on a longer ride.
Excellent.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
1EFB5D09-CB15-4001-9D95-1BBC62DDC401.jpeg
89C963D6-78DF-404C-B53A-1DD0F2CB941E.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Stem extension installed, h’bars now higher than saddle. Should be a more comfortable ride.

How are you finding the narrow saddle now with sitting in the upright position, or haven't had a chance to put it to the test?
dave

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
How are you finding the narrow saddle now with sitting in the upright position, or haven't had a chance to put it to the test?
dave
I haven't taken it out yet since raising the 'bars with the stem extension, hopefully ride in the morning if the weather cooperates. I fully expect the narrow saddle will be uncomfortable with an upright position and will have to be swapped out with something else. I was at the local bike shop today to get some suggestions to that effect, as well as to look at different bike frame geometries.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Took the bike out for a 10 mi. "shakedown" ride testing the raised handlebars. Worked well as far as reducing neck strain/pain to almost nothing. A bit squirrely with the steering using outer hand positions. The saddle definitely has to go, very uncomfortable after a few miles. I'm concerned that even with a replacement saddle that I may not be able to position if far enough to the rear. With the upright seating position, I found myself perched on the rearmost edge of my current saddle.

A seatpost with a setback or layback to allowing for a more rearward positioned saddle? I have no experience with this type of post and been away from cycling a very long time so for what it's worth.

proxy.php

dave

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A seatpost with a setback or layback to allowing for a more rearward positioned saddle? I have no experience with this type of post and been away from cycling a very long time so for what it's worth.

proxy.php

dave

That is probably what I need

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I ordered a seat post with setback, but not nearly as much as the one above. @davent , do you know what seat post that is pictured above?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@shave/brush , I saw the Townie at my local bike shop, nice bike but too cruiser/fat tire for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I have since replaced the saddle and seat post, saddle is a Serfas Rx, an improvement, but I still need a new bike. I was able to ride 10 miles without too much distress, but the geometry still is not right. Doubt it would be tolerable on a much longer ride. Going to look at a flat bar road bike next.

I would highly recommend looking into the hybrid forum on Bikeforums.net. Great group of people. There are also subforums on Bike Forums for people over 50 years old, and people over 200 pounds. I fit both those categories, and am active in the hybrid forum under my same user name (as well as the Classic and Vintage and 50 Plus forum).

I ride a flat bar hybrid road bike (Fuji Absolute 2.1) as well as a classic 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring road bike I restored. I've included a recent pic of my hybrid. I've got close to 2000 miles on this bike and it's a great fitness tool.

Fuji 10-7 1.jpg

Cheers

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@camjr, nice bike. I've been lusting over the Giant FastRoad Advanced, but have yet to see it in person. Not sure if the local dealer has one in stock. I'm at the point where I really need to see a bike in person and straddle it or test ride to make any further decisions. Can the handle bars be raised much on your bike?

@camjr, nice bike. I've been lusting over the Giant FastRoad Advanced, but have yet to see it in person. Not sure if the local dealer has one in stock. I'm at the point where I really need to see a bike in person and straddle it or test ride to make any further decisions. Can the handle bars be raised much on your bike?

The stem can be raised or lowered using the 3 spacers that come on the stem, as well as having the ability to flip the stem. I've adjusted it quite a few times. I would definitely ride anything before you buy. Look at Trek, Fuji, Giant, and Specialized depending on the retailers in your area. Ride multiple bikes. By doing that, the bike will find you. The shop will also make sure you get a bike that fits you properly.

Cheers!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
753E3BD0-A437-4CEB-8A2B-10F063BD621B.jpeg
75F67741-B121-4413-B8E4-F89D5A95D3B6.jpeg
B2BE6DD6-78CC-4641-9C8C-2C0AC2534598.jpeg

The latest and probably last modification to my old Trek mtn bike. I think I have exhausted my options with this one. The new Zipp seat post probably doesn't offer much setback over the previous seat post, but adjusts a bit more easily. The saddle is a bit too wide in that it rubs my thighs a bit, not a problem on the short ride I did yesterday, but might be on a longer ride.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When I got back into cycling I started with a Townie. It was a great bike to get going with again, but comparing it to my current road bike.........not!

You would not have been happy with one, good move looking elsewhere. Are you going to keep the Trek?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yeah, I'll keep the Trek, it's certainly ridable, just not meeting the criteria for what I want to do with it. The biggest downside to the bike is the defunct front shocks which are no longer made. So I'll keep it as long as the frame doesn't come unglued. Then I'd harvest it for parts, it has some nice, although dated, components.

Top Bottom