What's new

Folding Bicycles

I've recently been looking at getting a Folding Bike. I want something I can carry in the back seat of my car at all times for spontaneous use.

My riding would be along Urban, Suburban and Rural roads, but not mountain trails or beaches. I might use it a couple times a month as the impulse strikes. Most excursions would be 3~5 miles round trip, and I might be carrying small packages.

I've been looking on Amazon, Walmart, eBay and other online retailers. I'd rather buy a new one rather than take chances with a used bike. New bikes start around $150 and top out around $500, but I have found a few that were in the $1500 range.

I've got about $400 to spend, but I could go a little more for an exceptionally good model. That budget includes pimping it out with a good bit of accessories, like a helmet, lights, reflectors, tool kits, horn, fitted bags to store my EDC pocket gear and some snacks, a handlebar mount for my cellphone, etc. I also intend to outfit it with no-flat tires right from the start.

So what sort of details should I be looking for?

Steel or Aluminum?
How many gears?
Any brands to be preferred or avoided?
Where are the best places to shop and buy for the bike itself and the after-market accessories?
Etc. Etc.

This is a long-range plan. I won't be able to ride much this summer because I'm having surgery next week. I'd like to make the purchase shortly after Xmas when I think the prices will bottom out. I will begin riding and building up my strength as soon as the weather breaks next Spring.

Anybody here actually own a Folder?
Got any advice or feedback for me?

Thanks!

I own a Chinese made BC brand folder. It is steel and kinda heavy. It sets up in about a minute. It has 20" wheels. It has a 6 speed Shimano gear set. It shifts good. I have a carry bag for transport. In all honesty, I call it a flat ground bike. A hill is a workout even in first gear. It is great for short trips. It is far from a substitute for a full size bike.

Folding bikes are so cool. I purchased one a few years ago from Canadian Tire (big hardware store chain up here)...and I love it. It was somewhere around $150 (can't remember the exact price). It is a bit heavy, but the bike rides well, has 6 gears on a rear derailer and it is just fun to drive. Great choice for urban driving. Great if storing the bike in limited spaces is a concern. I fold mine up and store it behind my office door.

I have been riding bikes all my life (I'm pushing 60) and the one thing I have learned is the difference between a reasonably priced bike and an expensive bike is the expensive bike is more likely to be stolen. Both will get you to where you are going. If you take care of your purchase, even a reasonably priced bike will last for years.

Top Bottom