What's new

Need advice with Mp3 players

My current mp3 player is a 3rd gen., 15 gig iPod. Brand new, $100 bucks. That's the only reason I bought it. I've enjoyed it, but after spending 15 minutes with my sister's Creative Zen, I knew my next one would NOT be an iPod.

Randy

Yep, the Zen is an addictive little piece of hardware. Plus it's output stage is cleaner than the ipod. If you are using higher end headphones (not bose), you'll notice it.

yasuo200365 said:
Flac & Shn formats are "lossless" as to is Mkw I believe. The former two are widely used by "Free" music bands & CD Rippers for no loss in sound quality distribution. I've found them to compress a wav recording to about half its size, so nowhere near MP3 compression.

I upgraded my www.Replay-Radio.com program to Replay AV - well worth doing. It now downloads "real" audio (& video) files as though they were podcasts.

What portable MP3 players out their play the "real" .rm files?

Regards
John

Anything digital is not lossless. CDs are of lowest acceptable quality as well. You're better off listening to vinyl for quality and digital for fun.

I have used many different MP3 players. I had one of the 2nd generation iPODs, was then, and still is (lucky enough to own one of the latest video iPods). I ended up returning the first iPod due to battery issues, which are much better now. My current iPod will run up to 20+ hours on one charge (for music anyway, have not watched videos as of yet). I have used Rio, Creative Labs, Dell Digital DJ, and others I can't even remember. I find the iPod to be the most user friendly, the best constructed, and best supported. Even when I had a PC, the iPod was easy to install and use. With a Mac, as I currently own a Mac laptop, just plug and go.

Cons, well, I know some of the other players, like Dell, will work with the subscription services, which would be a real plus for them. Currently, iPod will not work with any subscription services that I have found. In addition, Apple is not currently close to having a subscription service on iTunes, so you are left paying by the song. I will patiently await iTunes' answer to the subscription issue.

My advice, if you want it, is to get an iPod if you have a good collection of music, or access to one. If you don't then the players that would support one of the subscription services would be a good option.

Oh, BTW, the iPod currently is one of my back-up methods. I have a digital camera and I keep a copy of all my current pics on there as well as on my laptop and on a disc. Also have a bunch of my regular files on there also. Nice to have a small backup system.

Good luck with your search,

Darren

tam.audio said:
Anything digital is not lossless. CDs are of lowest acceptable quality as well. You're better off listening to vinyl for quality and digital for fun.

Anything recorded is not lossless ..., but those formats (Flac, Shn & Mkw) are "lossless" digital formats, i.e. they keep every single piece of digital information upon transfer unlike MP3 say. So a digital master can be "compressed" for easier distribution, but none of the information is lost along the way.

If you're a serious HiFi buff then you will know that analogue reproduction is not perfect either. A good turntable relies upon the quality of the LP pressing, the stylus, cartridge, pre-amp, amp & speakers ..., and some swear as well that the power supply & interconnections make an audible difference.

Those of us who have serious HiFi's (of which I do) will know that sound reproduction is in the end subjective, a matter of taste as there are so many variables. No source, amp or speaker is perfect let alone a room or your ear.

The recording of a violin will never sound exactly like the violin that was recorded, whatever the format.

To say that digital is for 'fun' and vinyl is for 'quality' is a silly statement, the kind a journalist of an esoteric HiFi magazine would write...., a digital CD is a more practical format, but both with the right combination of equipment are equally able to sound pleasant to the ear.

Regards
John

yasuo200365 said:
Anything recorded is not lossless ..., but those formats (Flac, Shn & Mkw) are "lossless" digital formats, i.e. they keep every single piece of digital information upon transfer unlike MP3 say. So a digital master can be "compressed" for easier distribution, but none of the information is lost along the way.

If you're a serious HiFi buff then you will know that analogue reproduction is not perfect either. A good turntable relies upon the quality of the LP pressing, the stylus, cartridge, pre-amp, amp & speakers ..., and some swear as well that the power supply & interconnections make an audible difference.

Those of us who have serious HiFi's (of which I do) will know that sound reproduction is in the end subjective, a matter of taste as there are so many variables. No source, amp or speaker is perfect let alone a room or your ear.

The recording of a violin will never sound exactly like the violin that was recorded, whatever the format.

To say that digital is for 'fun' and vinyl is for 'quality' is a silly statement, the kind a journalist of an esoteric HiFi magazine would write...., a digital CD is a more practical format, but both with the right combination of equipment are equally able to sound pleasant to the ear.

Regards
John

Point made. Let me say this then.

The audible difference made by good quality analog gear is generally more appealing than anything digital, for now. I am in audio engineering and I have not yet heard of Flac, Shn & Mkw formats. I am behind on my reading however, I may need to catch up. I use broadcast wav files almost exclusively. I only compress audio once it needs to be burned to a CD. What is Flac, Shn & Mkw commonly used for?

I use an ipod for my player but I get my music from sources other than itunes.
I tunes is a good organizer etc., but I'd never buy from itunes. You can get the music in other formats and then use itunes and an ipod.

Top Bottom