What's new

Need a new razor...

Thanks for all of the feedback!

I’m settled on a vintage Gillette. Leaning towards a NEW of some kind, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Folks seem to be split as to if they prefer the long or short comb.

Also, seems like folks are recommending aggressive razors. This is probably where my lack of understanding comes into play (which means I need to get a few razors to experiment with in the name of science of course...), but I’m very pleased with the closeness of the shave I get from my Super Speed. I’m not looking for a closer shave. It’s just that if I’ve skipped a few days of shaving I have to slightly unscrew my Super Speed every time I rinse it after each stroke or two or else the hair is stuck and doesn’t rinse out. Will a more aggressive razor help with that?

I think this is due to the gap being wider to allow more beard growth to be mowed and flushed without issues. This is why you are seeing the more aggressive razors being recommended. I have not used an Open Combed razor so I have no input or experience.

As far as the Slim and RazoRock CG I have both and they are great razors. Hence my recommend above.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

I’m settled on a vintage Gillette. Leaning towards a NEW of some kind, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Folks seem to be split as to if they prefer the long or short comb.

Also, seems like folks are recommending aggressive razors. This is probably where my lack of understanding comes into play (which means I need to get a few razors to experiment with in the name of science of course...), but I’m very pleased with the closeness of the shave I get from my Super Speed. I’m not looking for a closer shave. It’s just that if I’ve skipped a few days of shaving I have to slightly unscrew my Super Speed every time I rinse it after each stroke or two or else the hair is stuck and doesn’t rinse out. Will a more aggressive razor help with that?

I have a slight preference for the short comb NEW, but as you said opinions are pretty split on that subject. I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

A third option to consider is a Gillette New Improved (which, despite its name, preceded the NEW SC and LC by about 10 years). It's slightly more aggressive than the other two but works beautifully on 4 days' beard growth.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for all of the feedback and recommendations!

Leaning towards a long comb NEW. I see they have bar handles and ball end handles. I kind of like the look of the ball end, sounds like maybe there’s a difference in the weighting of the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great razor the Gillette NEW long comb, more a mid range and has some blade overhang. I always get great shaves with it.

Last edited:
Will a more aggressive razor help with that?

Not as much as an open comb.

For example, the Merkur open comb design is one of the mildest razors you can buy but it will mow down anything with a sharp blade like Nacet. It laughs at thick beards. Maybe if I tried to shave my head with a full head of hair it might clog up a little but even then it would get the job done fairly easily.

I don't really understand why they make razors with straight bars. 🤷‍♂️

Not as much as an open comb.

For example, the Merkur open comb design is one of the mildest razors you can buy but it will mow down anything with a sharp blade like Nacet. It laughs at thick beards. Maybe if I tried to shave my head with a full head of hair it might clog up a little but even then it would get the job done fairly easily.

I don't really understand why they make razors with straight bars. 🤷‍♂️
That makes sense to me. I may have to check out the Merkur. Which Merkur OC do you mean? Nacets are my favorite blades btw, followed closely by Polsilvers and Personnas.

I am partial to the vintage Gillettes though. Anyone have thoughts on which vintage Gillette open comb is the mildest?

The Razorock SLOC is an inexpensive ( $15-20) open comb that many like that is mild and comfortable but still a great shaver. I've used it with 4 days growth with no trouble as well. The build quality isn't as high as the other's I've mentioned. It's a Chinese cast head. Some say that the Yaqi Mellon head on Aliexpress is the same head and can be had for about 8 bucks.

One last suggestion before you pull the trigger on a "new" razor. Could you try to add a little more water to your lather? My razors will clog up as well if the lather is too dry. Good luck @VA17

I may have to check out the Merkur. Which Merkur OC do you mean?

They all have the same head design with different handles. 15C standard, 25C long handle, 41C hexagonal vintage replica(?), 985C travel razor with short two-piece handle.

My King C Gillette is giving me great results-- ($29.99 USD) at Bed Bath & Bodyworks.

New Razor & Blades.jpg

Top Bottom