What's new

"Mystery" British Aristocrat Open Comb TTO - ID Help please !

So went to a local town antique and collectible fair today. Not much around but did pick up a butterscotch brush.

There's about 7 little antique stores around so did the rounds of the shops. Not a lot around but did find a shop that had about 3 brushes. They had what looked like an old split, paintless wooden Eterna brush there for $30. Didn't look promising :blink:

Then found a nice little razor sitting in a display case. Now given the price of the brushes didn't hold much hope on picking up a bargain. The things not in the normal condition I collect, it's pretty much brassed on the handle but the case is good condition. Get the lady to come and open the case and......the razor is very reasonably priced in comparison to the brushes. It's mine. :thumbup1:

As mentioned pretty brassed and it looks like the inside of the silo's been scratched in an attempt to clean, but it's the first Open Comb TTO I've found in the wild :001_smile

Now I thought it was a #46 Popular, however there's no writing on the top of the TTO and the Brit Pat is 400030 NOT 400621 like the ones on Achim's site.

Most of Achim's seem to be 400621 and anything with 400300 there seems to be fat handle rather than slim.

Any assistance in identifying folks ??? ( Pictures pre cleanup )

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Very nice score! Quite unusual.

Sorry I can't help with the ID

I'm wondering if it isn't a case mismatch too. The case and cardboard liner condition don't match the razor condition and the case looks like an Australian Aristocrat Junior ( #48) case as per MTGraylings rocket post though of course it could be an Aussie Aristocrat combo.......

Last edited:
Looks a bit like this one @ mr-razor's

1930s

Brit. Aristocrat No3

Pat 430.030

Made in England

Except mine's a "slim" handle not a fat handle.

There's scratches on the inside of the silos and under the head where someone's tried to scrape something off ?!? And the silo doors don't open smoothly. Think the bolt inside might need tightening and I'll have to work on a tool to do that. The good news, what looked like brassing was only tarnish :thumbup:

Funnily enough I haven't shaved for a couple of days ( yes I know.... sacrilege ) so a nice open comb shave tomorrow morning is just what the doctor ordered. :lol:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
It looks like a #47 Popular model to me.

By jingo Berkin I think might be right.

I thought there was a #47 and after you mentioned that found this great post by Jake:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=192394&highlight=popular

however......

Mr Razor's site shows the #47 as having patent 400461 and this one has 400360 and even looking at Jakes post they seem to have the patent imprinted above the tto knob but this one doesn't.

Gonna shoot Jake a quick PM to see if he can spread any light :001_smile

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Why must the British razors be so complicating.:lol::lol:

That is a great score congrats.:thumbup:

Had some correspondence with Jake and all his have 400621 on them.

These Brit razors are such an enigma sometimes. Pity we can't get hold of their records. Don't know why they didn't prophesise that guys would be obsession about their sub $2 products 80+ years on :lol:

The razor seems to have 3 different colours on it. Shiney golden handle, Dull golden head a silos and copper/bronze coloured endcaps ( I'll try and get some pics )

Some of it could be contributed to wear but it's very uniformed wear :blink:

Had one of my best easiest shaves to day with it. MWF and an Astra SP match really well with this razor. This one will be staying in my rotation and probably replace my vintage "Chessman" slant as my coupla day growth razor :thumbup:

Oh and I really should have done more research before posting. Now found multiple posts showing no imprinting on the TTO AND with 400300. And the doors not opening when twisted seems to be normal.

My only decision now is if I should replate in Gold/Rhodium or just leave it..............

Last edited:
Ian,

Is there ever a trip to the "little shops" that doesn't yield a great find? That entire set is beautiful, mismatched, unidentifiable or not.

BTW, on Friday I went to the "little shops" nearby and one was closed, out-of-business and the other had nothing.

Mike

Top Bottom