What's new

My vintage blade journal

PXL_20210214_015009800.jpg

Schick Plus Platinum Shave #2

Even though I didn't shower before my shave today this was an excellent shave

Put the Schick Plus Platinum in my Ranger Tech and all three passes were great and ended with a very close shave with no irritation.

Definitely keeping my eyes out for more of these

PXL_20210214_164602480.jpg

Schick Plus Platinum Shave #3

Once again a nice smooth shave...as before the real test comes tomorrow - modern blades max out at 3 for me

PXL_20210215_145808013.jpg

PXL_20210215_144029832.jpg

Gillette Spoiler Shave #1

Took a Spoiler for a spin in my replated Sheraton with some Williams Mug Soap

What I've found with these vintage blades is that the longevity is definitely there as people say - but also it seems to me that the XTG pass is slightly more efficient - no less smooth just more efficient.

Overall great shave and I definitely see why Spoilers are so well regarded.

Good thing I like them - I have 20 in stock and 150 more on the way.

PXL_20210217_134717486.jpg

Received this mint, possibly NOS, razor gift set yesterday.

Took it and the included Schick Stainless Steel Krona Edge blade for a test spin today and it was VERY NICE.

Schick Stainless Steel Krona Shave #1 will go down as a very pleasant shave. Smooth, no irritation and effectively did it's job. If the shaves continue like the first and last as long as the other vintage blades I've been trying this will go high on the list and will require ordering some more!

PXL_20210217_134802460.jpg

Last edited:
PXL_20210219_155622774.jpg

Took the new to me Schick DE and it's accompanying Schick Stainless Steel blade for Shave #2 today after skipping yesterday - we had an ice storm here and didn't get around to shaving because we had the tub filled with water in case the power went out.

Gave me a chance to try the razor and blade on a little thicker growth and it handled it just fine. Very smooth shave. Still really liking this blade.

So much in fact that I found an auction for 100 Super Stainless Steel blades and made an offer and it was accepted. With international shipping it still worked out to around 50 cents a blade which isn't too bad if they are anything like their close relatives.

I've enjoyed my recent shaves so much I went ahead and took off my goatee so I have more real estate to shave!

PXL_20210220_173615614.jpg

Took the Schick 2002 twin edge for it's first spin today

Schick 2002 Shave #1

Used both Haslinger sheep and MWF

I didn't have high expectations from this blade having read mixed reviews

I was pleasantly surprised - I didn't shower but soaked my face on water for a bit

There was about three instances where I felt tugging but my feel is that was more related to the lack of shower beforehand than the blade.

At this point I wouldn't necessarily go looking for this over other Schick vintage blades but I was satisfied with the result and feel - perhaps just the slightest bit less smooth than the Schick Stainless

Look forward to trying it after a shower to compare.

PXL_20210220_173715892.jpg

Update on Shave #1 w/ Schick 2002 Twin

A few hours later my stubble is crazy - thicker than usual and VERY weirdly sharp and uncomfortable.

PXL_20210222_192301136.jpg

My first real disappointing shave in the vintage journey

This was my first shave with a Gillette Platinum Plus and I'd heard so many good things about it. It wasn't bad necessarily but the first blade (other than the Twin which I didn't have high hopes or expectations of) that really didn't feel as nice and smooth as my modern ones.

It was the first shave so I'll reserve judgement and if the next few shaves with it aren't better I'll try a different one from the pack.

View attachment 1227052

My first real disappointing shave in the vintage journey

This was my first shave with a Gillette Platinum Plus and I'd heard so many good things about it. It wasn't bad necessarily but the first blade (other than the Twin which I didn't have high hopes or expectations of) that really didn't feel as nice and smooth as my modern ones.

It was the first shave so I'll reserve judgement and if the next few shaves with it aren't better I'll try a different one from the pack.
Those are the more modern plat plus, based on the dispenser and blade script, the older the better I find in my experience. Could also be a dud blade. hope your second shave is better.

Those are the more modern plat plus, based on the dispenser and blade script, the older the better I find in my experience. Could also be a dud blade. hope your second shave is better.
That's true. The NOS Platinum Plus i use give great shaves.

Yeah - I think I'm going to try the second blade in this pack to see if it does any better and keep my eyes out for a few of the older versions as well to try out.

That white plastic dispenser with the stickers on it is Platinum Plus made in France for the US in mid 80s until 1991, they should have a letter on them - it is the year. They aren't as good as the earlier metal dispensers made in the USA.

I also have experienced less than stellar shaves with some vintage Gillette Bleue Extra from Annecy, France (L1-1991), same white plastic dispenser with a different sticker. I've had much better shaves from the same blade produced later in Czech Republic in 1998 (T3).

My box of 100 Schick Super Stainless arrived from Canada yesterday and took it for a spin in my Gillette Super Adjustable set on 5.

PXL_20210226_220933229.jpg

Schick Super Stainless Shave #1

Wonderful shave. All passes were smooth and effective.

My box of 100 Schick Super Stainless arrived from Canada yesterday and took it for a spin in my Gillette Super Adjustable set on 5.

View attachment 1228849

Schick Super Stainless Shave #1

Wonderful shave. All passes were smooth and effective.
I'm currently using one myself, the American made ones. Schicks equivalent to Gillette's Super Stainless which had the colorful nickname of the "Spoiler"
Here's an old pic, not the setup I'm using at the moment...It's in my Fat Handle Tech although when in my Fat Boy I too set it at 5 for the first two passes. Wonderful blade. Like all my blades, it gives me BBS results after three passes, no "chasing" required, weepers are as rare as blue moons and I get around twelve such shaves from each.
20190613_180247.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #2 with Schick Super Stainless

PXL_20210228_153149598.jpg

First shave with a new to me K1 Lady Gillette

Not sure if it was the razor or razor/blade combo but the audible feedback was amazing - it just sang to me!

Smooth, effortless shave and very enjoyable!!

Gillette Spoiler Shave #3

PXL_20210302_213429226.jpg

Used my New SC for the first time in a while. Pairs very well with the Spoiler. No signs of slowing down but excited to get into shaves 4+ to see how long this one lasts for me.

Gillette Spoiler Shave #4 (Wed)

PXL_20210303_233729634.jpg

Shave #4 was comfortable. Even cranked the Fatboy up a little on the XTG pass with no issues!

Schick Stainless #4 (Thur)

PXL_20210304_210706689.jpg

I have been really impressed with these Schick Stainless blades. Buttery smooth. Don't seem to get talked about as much as the next generation Supers of various makes but I've been pleasantly surprised with the smoothness and efficiency of them.

PXL_20210306_224205541.jpg

PXL_20210306_211721449.jpg

First vintage injector blade!

Shave #1: Personna II

Just opened this NOS Personna Injector II which came with 6 Personna II Twin Injector blades.

I am definitely a fan so far. I can tell it is going to have a little of a learning curve though. I didn't find the floating head to do much and when I sort of tried to force it got a nick.

But my skin is VERY smooth afterwards and the minimal irritation I feel I think is due to the learning curve/attempting to get the floating head to move.

I do plan to find some modern Japanese Schick II's to compare with these though.

Top Bottom