What's new

My vintage blade journal

No pic today...

Shave #5 w/ Gillette Spoiler

Used a new to me Karve SB-B plate today with MWF.

First two passes buttery smooth.

ATG didn't feel like it was being efficient but ended up with a very smooth shave and no stubble.

Blade performed well, razor performed well.

Shave #6 with Gillette Spoiler

PXL_20210309_230746036.jpg

Took the Spoiler for a spin in my 52 Black Plastic Handle Tech

Very nice shave

The blade is JUST beginning to show it's age on the XTG pass. Not quite as efficient, not quite as smooth. Not bad at all but the first signs that it's not gonna last much longer.

My guess is I'll be ok with 7 but 8 or 9 will see it tossed. But we will see!

PXL_20210310_212853828.jpg

Shave #7 with the Spoiler

The Spoiler got tossed after this shave. But a horrible shave but a noticeable drop off

Shaves 1-4 were buttery smooth. Shave 5 showed signs of age on ATG.

Shave 6 was just ok.

Shave 7 was definitely pushing it for me

I could probably get 6 out of them but will likely toss after 5. At this point I have over 10 years worth of blades anyway!

Shave #1 with the REAL Gillette Platinum Plus

PXL_20210313_215426056.jpg

Yeah - that was more like it. The newer PP blade I tried was meh but this was what I've come to expect from a vintage blade.

Smooth. Efficient. Nice.

PXL_20210322_115710947_2.jpg

SHAVE #1: Wilkinson Sword London Bridge

Finally cracked this pack open to give it a try.

As with most of the vintage blades I've used this was a very pleasurable shave.

Key things I noticed with this shave:

1) I'm not sure if it's the razor (I think this is only the 2-3 time I've used it), the blade, or the combo of the two but MAN WHAT AUDIBLE FEEDBACK!! You'd think with THAT much audible feedback the smoothness would suffer but nope.

2) As with other vintage blades for some reason they seem more efficient on the XTG passes than my modern blades

I did have a few small weepers but that was in the chin area where I'm still learning after wearing a goatee for most of my wet shaving journey.

Definitely like this blade and can't wait to see how long it lasts

PXL_20210323_120559110.jpg

Shave #2 Wilkinson Sword London Bridge

Another fine shave. Very audible feedback with the Goodwill and LB

Haven't used the Goodwill for a while and I forgot his nice a shaver it is... So smooth

I think most know that all I use are vintage blades, mainly stainless but a few carefully chosen carbons as well. Its quite a few different ones but ill list them by brand.
Gillette: Super Blues, Thins, Stainless, Super Stainless ( Spoilers ), Platinum Plus
Schick: Deluxe with Krona Edge, Stainless, Super Stainless, Plus Platinum,
Personna: Super Stainless both USA and GB editions, 74s
Wilkinson: Super Sword, Light Brigades, London Bridge
How would you compare the super swords to the light brigades to the London bridge razors?

How would you compare the super swords to the light brigades to the London bridge razors?
Well, for me, the Light Brigades and the London Bridge blades are very close but I give a slight edge to the Light Brigades. Although I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they're the same blade. The Super Sword is another great blade but not, for me, in the same class.

The Super Sword is another great blade but not, for me, in the same class.
True, there are different eras of the Super Sword, most I've tried were less than pleasant but there was one loose blade (sadly with no packaging to identify) that I tried which was great, nearly on the same level as the LB's.

Top Bottom