What's new

My take on Martin de Candre that was Christmas gift

Enough of this ridiculous talk about how long lasting MdC is compared to other soaps. I have proof that it's nonsense. Here's a pic of my jar of MdC purchased last June (Father's day discount) and there's barely a third left:

View attachment 296988

While there were a few periods in which I used it for a week or two every day, I can't possibly have had more than 50 shaves. Should I contact the company and report that they sent me a bad batch????

I think some peoples longevity of a soap get skewed by the fact they have 10 soaps and creams in rotation. They seem to last years because they use it once or twice a week at most. Most soaps I have used last about 3-4 months, absolute tops, when used daily. Use a Chubby with them and they evaporate even faster :)

50 shaves and that much is gone? you must be using a whole lot more product that i use. and do not use 3-4 sec app time, i do 15sec or so.

i did a few week long tests a while back, with various load times a week at a time. 6-8 sec one week, then 12-14sec another week.

i used about 0.8g/shave with the lower app time and about 1.2g/shave with the longer.

so by my calculations, i could get about 150 luxurious shaves out of a 170g jar using about 15sec application time

obviously this is not scientific and I am not trying to justify the price/shave ratio. it's been done to death, heck i did it with those tests.

i was happy with the customer service, happy with the shipping and am happy with the scent and performance.

Bruce,
Now I feel bad. I was just having a little fun. The reason that MdC jar is so depleted is because after receiving it two things happened: first, I was blown away by the quality of the lather and subsequent shave; second, using it every day for two weeks didn't seem to make a dent in the jar. I decided the only way I'd ever get through it all is by sharing it with others who hadn't sampled it. 90% of the missing soap is missing because it was sent off to members who had yet to try it. My only stipulation when doing that, and I do it based solely on my whim at the moment, is that they report on their experience even if they hate it. There is nothing wrong with my jar of MdC; just my sense of humor.

oake

I got a good sized sample not too long ago, maybe 40 grams or so? Absolutely love it. Every morning it's a toss up between that or MWF!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks to the generosity of another member I will be receiving a sample of this famed soap and will soon be able to give a report on how well it works for me.

My travel jar is due in any day now and after reading this post I am more anxious they ever.

Brucered your videos should be used by MdC for demo-sales would increase three fold.

Jeff

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I can see why the scent of MdC could be polarizing. I find it very sophisticated and unique. It is the foie gras of shaving soap.

I am always amused at the 3 swirl load claims because if you are using so little soap, then your bowl full of "lather" is pretty much just air...not great for shaving. You can perform a similar trick with many soaps and create a bowl full of crap with minimal loading.

The obsession with loading time for MdC is an interesting phenomenon that you never see with other soaps. I doubt it would occur if it were available for $5 at every Wal Mart in a plastic tub.

People can use as little product as they wish to make lather, it is their face. But I say just use it and enjoy it. You can always buy more.

+1

Call me "stupido" but I m loading exactly like for my other soaps....yes sir 45 secs...Marco s method....time to time I even put some hot water on the soap some mins before loading.....fine it s my way but it works for me!
i believe that s the way to extract the real qualities of this soap!
Pls just try once and let me know :)

Tam

+1

Call me "stupido" but I m loading exactly like for my other soaps....yes sir 45 secs...Marco s method....time to time I even put some hot water on the soap some mins before loading.....fine it s my way but it works for me!
i believe that s the way to extract the real qualities of this soap!
Pls just try once and let me know :)

Tam

Just wanted to add that for 30 shaves I used 55 grams....

Tam

Last edited:
Top Bottom