What's new

My Soap Journey

I've tried Claus Porto soap, both Deco and the Musgo Real branded men's soap, and I have to say I was disappointed.

I still find them to be drying. Not overly so, but it's there.

I don't find them any less drying than Imperial Leather, Mysore, or Body Shop bar soaps (which are great BTW).

I also find Bronner's too drying to use regularly - I can't beleive people use it on their hair!!! :confused1

I've tried TOBS soap (can't remember which one) and found that to be excellent and not as drying as some.

I have a sample of Pre de Provence Verbena soap which doesn't seem to dry much at all! Maybe I'll pick up some of that. The French shave soaps (Institute Karite, Provence Sante, and PdP) are the most moisturising (or least drying) soaps I've used, maybe the body soaps are as good?

John

+1 to the T&H soaps. They are outstanding! With the B&B discount, I think they are worth the money.

The West Indian Limes soap has an amazing scent; not at all the same as the shaving cream, but much richer.

Worth the coin to pamper yourself every morning, IMO. :thumbup:

Thank you Sterling Cooper. I loved this thread when it first came up and and I am glad to have caught this follow up. It was much anticipated and I am not disappointed. I will have to look into the Nesti Dante soaps as well as these T&H branded ones. T&H makes some great products.

Regards, Todd

I've been wanting to try L'Occitane's Baux because I sure do like the EdT. Until then Whole Foods Cedar/Vetiver & Kirks suit me just fine.

The Lightfoot's is the primary man soap in the house, for all the reasons Sterling Cooper stated but also because it can be had for $2 a bar here. Less if you by a case. And that brings it into the neighborhood of supermarket soap prices. I have a hard time justifying getting anything else, though I sometimes do for variety.

@jhclare: The reason why you think that French soaps are more moisturizing it's because most of them contain shea butter, which is higly unsaponifiable. Pretty much any soap contain a good amount of shea butter will be a good moisturizer.

I've been using Giovanni Organics moisturizing body bar soaps and they also use shea butter (and the company is not French).

Another good option would be the Hugo Naturals Shea Butter & Oatmeal bar soap.

I've used Lightfoot's and thought it was fine but it didn't quite have the pine scent I was looking for (like Mama Bears Spruce or QED's pine/cedarwood shaving soaps). Anyone know how the scent of Tallba Swedish Pine compares to these?

Last edited:
I found the tallba to have a lighter pine scent with a bit of spring meadow, not really floral but fresh and green. I liked the deeper woodier pine scent of Lightfoot's better, I havent tried the MB so I can't make a direct comparison.

Thanks for the reviews.
I'm disappointed in the feedback on TOBS soaps. I LOVE the shave creams and wish the soap complimented better. I guess that's a good excuse to try T&H bath soap and shave creams.

I just broke down and ordered 2 bars of Nesti Dante soap.

They have arrived and the fragrance is fantastic. I got citron and bergamot and Cypress Tree.

Haven't used them yet but was very surprised to see the following ingredients: sodium palmate, sodium cocoate, and sodium chloride. I have been using South of France and that soap does not contain any "salt".

Should I be concerned?

Savon de Marseille and other soaps in Southern Europe are made with sea water from the Mediterranean Sea, this could be the source of the Salt......

They have arrived and the fragrance is fantastic. I got citron and bergamot and Cypress Tree.

Haven't used them yet but was very surprised to see the following ingredients: sodium palmate, sodium cocoate, and sodium chloride. I have been using South of France and that soap does not contain any "salt".

Should I be concerned?

Nest Dante uses a very old four day boiling process to make their soap. My research on Victorian soapmaking tells me that salt was used for several purposes in this manner of soapmaking including purification and thickening. It's nothing to be worried about.

Should I be concerned?

Not at all. Some artisan soapmakers even make "salt soaps" that have a bunch of salt in them. Makes the skin feel amazing. Kind of turns your shower into a "bath salts" experience.

You will love it.

Nest Dante uses a very old four day boiling process to make their soap. My research on Victorian soapmaking tells me that salt was used for several purposes in this manner of soapmaking including purification and thickening. It's nothing to be worried about.

Okay, now you have my attention. Are we talking about making a salt water solution before mixing with the lye and then the fats?

BTW, I know I have seen you reference Victorian soap making before. Are there any anecdotes you can share with us? Thank you.

Regards, Todd

Before pure sodium hydroxide was commercially available, potash lye made by soaking wood ashes in water was commonly used to make soap. Since potash boiled with fats only makes a soft soap, salt was added to the boiling mass, which made the pure soap rise to the top of the pot so that it could be ladled off into molds. It was also a more trial-and-error process than modern soap making.

I think that was and still is the method used by african tribes to produce the african black soap am I correct?

Top Bottom