What's new

My Simple Blade Safe for Blade Disposal-Share Your Ideas?

Half a toilet paper tube, with a top and bottom cut out of cardboard and taped on, then covered in a sheet of origami paper that more or less matches my bathroom.

My bathroom is pretty small, with no counter or drawers (free standing column sink), and a very tiny medicine cabinet. My only shelving is a unit that stands over the toilet. My bathroom decor, such as it is, is basically bamboo/green/beige themed. So, I needed a razor safe that blended in as it would be on the top shelf with my shaving gear. It had to s be small, because there was almost no room there for it.

I had peeked on EBay for a vintage safe, and I had looked around for a piggy bank that might work but there were very few piggy banks to be found and none that were of a size that would work. I did take a look around for any tins that might work, but didn't have any on hand. Pill bottles galore, but they are too light...maybe if I weighted the bottom so it won't fall over.

Anyway, love this thread, lots of good ideas. I think I'm going to still hope for a tin to show up, and if not, the matchbox idea is appealing. Or maybe I'll just stick with what works and make another one when the time comes.

Also, I had no idea that acquisition disorders applied to used razors until I read this thread and realized how many people love the idea of having a safe that will keep decades worth of razor blades. You are crazy, though not as crazy as those that have the safes with the label "Do Not Use Until Halloween" on them.

Finally thanks to the person that posted the URL for the Show Me Your Razor Blade Bank thread, it has some really great ideas as well.

I drop mine into a glass jar filled with water. After a few months there's nothing but a red sludge at the bottom. I dry this out, mix it with eggs, flower, and chocolate chips. Form into balls and bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes or until done. Then I put them on a plate and into the fridge at work where the same person who steals my lunch takes them.

WOW! Remind me not to get on your enemy list!:001_huh:

I randomly came across this at a bookstore the other day and just had to buy it to use as a blade safe:

proxy.php

It's a piggy bank in the shape of a bust of Augustus Caesar. I felt it was perfect for this purpose because I have an interest in Roman history and he has a nice shave. The only downside of this solution is it's fairly small as piggy banks go so at some point it will fill up, and I'll have to empty it and still put the blades in something else to dispose of them since I won't want to throw the bank away.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In the old wrapper and in the trash can for me.
I have extensively visited the working parts of trash burning facilities, and there are far more dangerous things that workers are exposed to in trash than a few razor blades in a wrapper.
Your local ordinance may forbid it, but razor blades are NOT considered to be in the same category as medical sharps.
Unless of course they were used in the diagnosis, treatment or immunization of humans or animals. Shaving rarely fits that category.

If they are not used in the diagnosis, treatment or immunization of humans or animals, then they are no more hazardous than the broken glass, can lids, torn soda cans, old nails, discarded scissors, thumb tacks and push pins, bed and furniture springs, or innumerable other hard sharp objects that people throw away.

Having said all that - knowing the obsessive nature of the whole lot of us, I can see the attraction in the blade banks as well.

It's pretty clear that you do not have children who have chores such as taking the garbage out

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have children who take the trash out but generally are able to avoid digging through it in the process.

Top Bottom