What's new

My Search to Replace La Toja

Today, I normally would shave with MWF as it's Fat Friday, but since I am doing this comparison, I got out a beloved stick of La Toja and lathered up. The shave was just as nice as I was expecting. I even lathered up the back of my neck and used my straight razor to clean that up, as well. I wish there was an aftershave balm that smelled like La Toja.

And the new version has a..."different" scent.
More or less the smell is always the same.
But the old sticks with tallow were amazing with a brilliant foam.
Nowadays the creams have disappeared but you can see sometimes vegetables sticks.

Anyways. La toja nowadays is not a good soap in my opinion but there in no doubt that its fragrance is just unique.

When did the sticks (which is what I was referring to) have tallow? I don’t remember having tallow but I’ve only been using them for a few years. I know Tabac has changed from tallow to non tallow.
More or less the smell is always the same.
But the old sticks with tallow were amazing with a brilliant foam.
Nowadays the creams have disappeared but you can see sometimes vegetables sticks.

Anyways. La toja nowadays is not a good soap in my opinion but there in no doubt that its fragrance is just unique.

Well, I ordered some Razorock Irish Countryside because it was pretty inexpensive and figuring per ounce it wasn't that much more than the La Toja. I also ordered some TOBS Royal Forest shaving cream, too. I found a good price that made it worth taking a look. I came out to be around $3 per ounce. Not bad. I hope one of these is a home run.

When did the sticks (which is what I was referring to) have tallow? I don’t remember having tallow but I’ve only been using them for a few years. I know Tabac has changed from tallow to non tallow.
Ei. Good evening. That sticks are quite old. Actually, I think they were made only in Spain, before the factory goes outside.
I didn't search the sticks because I believe my skin wouldn't admit due to their mineral salts....
Anyways. The industrial relocation...

Ei. Good evening. That sticks are quite old. Actually, I think they were made only in Spain, before the factory goes outside.
I didn't search the sticks because I believe my skin wouldn't admit due to their mineral salts....
Anyways. The industrial relocation...
The old one
Screenshot_2023-05-13-18-41-47-193_com.wallapop.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-13-18-41-49-857_com.wallapop.jpg

If you order Proraso Blue, White or Green creams from Yourshaving.com, they are quite inexpensive. You can also buy Haslinger (hard soap) and Cella from Yourshaving.com and Connaught for very low prices. You may have to order in bulk to make shipping worthwhile.

In general, I find creams to be expensive. You are basically paying for the water content.

Some Turkish vendors sold the Derby and Arko creams for very reasonable prices, but I don’t see those as much.

I changed my straight razor today to my S.K. Colling and picked up the Ach Brito tube, again. You have to have the strength of a gorilla to get the cream out of the tube! I put it in the refrigerator overnight as suggested above to no avail. Once it was on my brush, however, I face lathered and it built a ton of lather. This soap smells nice and the shave was nice. I can't say it is as good as the La Toja, but it isn't bad, and is certainly close. It has good glide, slickness, and the residual isn't bad. This stuff is not expensive, either.

The one thing that I would say is that the after shave face feel is maybe better with the La Toja.

Tomorrow I intend to shave with the TOBS Sandalwood cream, again. Maybe the day after my two new creams will arrive. I may not solve anything, but I am having fun trying.

Well, there was good and bad with the TOBS today. I had a great shave, near BBS, in fact. However, I had a reaction to the soap. I noticed my face and neck burning, but I finished the shave. Soon, I had a red rash pop up. It was a great shave and the soap performed wonderfully. I can't use it, however. I've used the soaps and never had a problem, so either it is the perfume or it is something in the cream.

I replaced my order of Royal Forest with B&M Taiga. I know it isn't getting me where I want to be, but I couldn't help myself. So far, the Ach Brito Lavanda cream seems like a good inexpensive alternative to La Toja cream if I ever need it.

Morning. You all can buy La toja from amazon.es, 12 sticks for 23 euros.

I don't know if i can post the link.

Not only there… :thumbup:

These shaving sticks are still easy to find, but it’s the demise of the La Toja shaving creams that we are mourning. :crying:
With their unique saltiness and excellent performance there is no obvious shaving cream that could replace them.

By comparison, I consider shaving sticks are a bit of an acquired taste and primarily use them when I want to travel light. It also seems that La Toja shaving sticks have recently been reformulated and various comments on this site suggest that the new ones are inferior to the old ones.

B.

Not only there… :thumbup:

These shaving sticks are still easy to find, but it’s the demise of the La Toja shaving creams that we are mourning. :crying:
With their unique saltiness and excellent performance there is no obvious shaving cream that could replace them.

By comparison, I consider shaving sticks are a bit of an acquired taste and primarily use them when I want to travel light. It also seems that La Toja shaving sticks have recently been reformulated and various comments on this site suggest that the new ones are inferior to the old ones.

B.
Quite quite inferior. You are right. Lea is much better right now.

Is the La Toja stick definitely still around?

I used to go to Spain several times a year but I had an accident during the pandemic and haven't been able to travel since, so my small stock of Spanish shave supplies is exhausted. I was going to buy some sticks from Connaught, but they have been out of stock for months, and now looking on amazon.es (as suggested above) it seems like the stick is out of stock there too.

That said, if the current formulation of LEA stick is better than the recent reformulation of La Toja then that's not encouraging - I found current LEA stick poor and didn't keep it around. Old tallow La Toja was great - the initial veggie formulation wasn't a great performer for me but it was usable and I enjoyed it - if the current formulation is worse than that one...

Also, since there has been discussion on Palmolive - this is a good deal on UK amazon: 6 tubes for £12. Not sure about the shipping for folks outside of the UK but if it gives you a price for it then presumably it's good:

The La Toja stick is supposed to still be in production. Walmart has it in stock. So do a lot of online retailers.

I didn't find LEA to be in the same class as La Toja, at all; not even close.

I am on the hunt mainly because it is fun. As long as I have my beloved MWF I will be fine. I just like La Toja as a secondary to change up and for travel. It is a very good soap and is inexpensive.

Walmart has it in stock. So do a lot of online retailers.

I didn't find LEA to be in the same class as La Toja, at all; not even close.

That's good news - hopefully when I finally get out to Spain I can grab some. Agreed on the LEA stick. I am really surprised it still seems to get so much love - the current formulation seemed very poor to me. Wasn't much of a fan of the Classic puck either although I have their mentholated cream and that is pretty good.

Top Bottom