What's new

My Search to Replace La Toja

The thing I noticed about the Professional cream (250g) is that I had to use more product or it would be runny. I only got 43 shaves from it (5.8g/shave) for a two pass shave with non hard water.

I had similar experiences in LEA mentholated cream.
Yesterday I squeezed the amount of 2 cm out of the tube and got lather a bit too runny.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Unless you are dead set on a cream, get the La Toja stick. I‘ve always thought that it performed a bit better than the creams anyway. I have 2 sticks grated into a Maggard PETG Colt tub and there really isn’t anything to be desired - lathers quickly and easily, performs great.

Unless you are dead set on a cream, get the La Toja stick. I‘ve always thought that it performed a bit better than the creams anyway. I have 2 sticks grated into a Maggard PETG Colt tub and there really isn’t anything to be desired - lathers quickly and easily, performs great.
I grate a couple sticks into a container and I love it (both old and new formulas).

I don't grate my sticks of La Toja. I have no issues loading right off of the stick. I take my brush and whirl it around the stick and once loaded, go straight to my face to build the lather (or to a bowl if I feel like it).

Today I shaved used the same Thiers Issard straight razor to shave with TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream. I have always used the hard soap. This stuff smells good, as always. I put a fingernail sized squirt from the tube onto my brush and took it straight to my face to build the lather. It did really good. It didn't lather as fast as the Ach Brito Lavanda, but pretty fast. It came up nice and creamy. The shave had good cushion and slickness, but was it better than the Lavanda? I don't know. What I do know is that the residual seemed not as good as the hard soap version. It was okay and I didn't nick myself or have any issues. I'm just going by face feel. It certainly isn't as good as the La Toja sensitive shave cream. I enjoyed the shave however, as it was nice and close. The LEA wasn't close enough and I had a lot of growth by this morning. The smell of the sandalwood was great. I will try this again in a few days.

Fair enough. It’s all subjective. I loved the previous version but don’t care much for the newer version’s scent. If we use what we like we should be happy. 🍻
Edit to add I thought this was the thread about the stick reformulation. My bad. :facep:
Which many of us really like😉

Steve56

Palmolive cream if it has to be a cheaper cream, but the La Toja stick is hard to beat, same scent or close, lathers easily and I like the stick a bit better for SR than the creams.

Steve56

I loved the previous version but don’t care much for the newer version’s scent.

I thought the same thing, but threw 3 sticks in my Amazon cart with another order, and guess what? The scent is fine. So I grabbed a few more from the same vendor and they’re fine too. I’ve posted before about the ‘new’ scent, but maybe that was a temporary thing or a certain batch of fragrance? Go figure.

Thank you. This is promising. Are the new ones you have from Spain or Germany?
I thought the same thing, but threw 3 sticks in my Amazon cart with another order, and guess what? The scent is fine. So I grabbed a few more from the same vendor and they’re fine too. I’ve posted before about the ‘new’ scent, but maybe that was a temporary thing or a certain batch of fragrance? Go figure.

I have some La Toja sticks that I love the smell of, but I bought four recently and 2 had the smell I love and two smelled a little off. The labels are exactly the same except the very last word. They aren't off enough to keep me from enjoying them.

I am probably going to buy several more sticks just so I have them in case those go away, also. I can't imagine why a company that has a superior product to everything else in the price range and even above would get rid of it instead of doing a better job of marketing.

Sorry to hear that the cream line has been discontinued. Haven't used it in a long, long time, but I liked the original cream, a salty-medicinal scent that nothing else really comes close to. I found pairing it with Thayer's original astringent witch hazel was really good and all that was needed. Hopefully, the stick will still continue to be made.

I don’t have an old stick to compare the scent to one of my newer sticks , but from what I remember the old stick did not smell much different to my nose , I wish I could find a place still selling the old stock so I could have a side by side comparison to see what everyone is smelling between the two.

Top Bottom