What's new

My Search to Replace La Toja

I am near to being heart broken about Henkel's stupid decision to stop making La Toja shaving cream. I particularly like the performance of the Sensitive. Now, I find myself having to search for a replacement.

I started by being given a bar of Ach Brito Mogno (Not a cream, I know). I bought samples of Vitos Eucalyptus and LEA cream. I also bought a tube of Ach Brito Lavanda cream and a sample of Stirling Scot Pine Sheep (not a cream, I know). I also have a stick of Arko and a tub. I have the Speick stick but the reformulation is so bad it is not in consideration. These are the ones I have started with. I am trying to find something inexpensive, like La Toja, that still performs as good as La Toja. I have expensive soaps that are as good or better, but that is not what i am after. I want something excellent and cost effective.

I started by shaving two days with La Toja Sensitive shave cream as a base of comparison. I put Arko to the test. It was about what one would expect from Arko. There was decent, but not great cushion, and there was some slickness and some residual slickness. However, it was not as good as La Toja (I also have sticks of this). The smell is okay, but not great. it smells like old fashioned bath soap or detergent.

Then, I lathered up the Mogno. I might be able to roll some of this into a tube, but I pressed it into a round jar by cutting the corners of the square bar. I wet my brush as normal, shook it out three times, as usual, and loaded the brush. I moved to my face to build the lather. This stuff lathers really well. It came up quickly, rich and thick.

However, it wasn't as good a performer as the La Toja. The residual slickness just wasn't there, but there was good enough cushion. I don't care much for the smell. I don't hate it, but it is overall too strong for my taste.

On the next shave, I tried the Vitos Eucalyptus. This is a tallow soap with lanolin. I had high hopes for this one. It lathered up fast and thick. It seemed a little dry to me. I addd water but that didn't change my thinking that it looked too dry. I shaved and immediately hated it. This soap does not have enough cushion for a straight razor. It has almost no residual slickness. It was so bad that I washed it off and relathered with the LEA cream. That was immediately better though not as good as La Toja. I was so disappointed after having high hopes for a good tallow soap. My face on one side is a slight bit raw from shaving with Vitos before I washed it off. Arko is better.

That's where things stand, today. Tomorrow and the next day I will try the other two.

The Palmolive will give you the slickness and might just be the right thing. If you need more cushion you can look for Nivea cream (regular dark blue tube) or might even mix the two.

How do you like Proraso?

What about Nivea Sensitive in the tube? Very inexpensive in Europe, but marked up here, probably comparable to La Toja in price.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The sad reality is that nothing can fully replace La Toja because of its uniqueness. I'm very disappointed myself.

Due to not caring for La Toja shaving cream salty scent, I mostly use LEA, Palmolive, Ach Brito shaving cream.
I will not hesitate to stock up some Palmolive (classical and mentholated) shaving cream.
There are so many great stuffs being discontinued in these years.

Palmolive and Nivea aren't available, here, that I can find. It's weird because a lot of other Nivea and Palmolive products are available.

What is sure is that I'm stocking up heavily on the La Toja sticks should the worse happen in the near future...
Me too. I like the cream slightly better for a straight razor, but not enough to worry over. I've ordered more sticks.

I am near to being heart broken about Henkel's stupid decision to stop making La Toja shaving cream. I particularly like the performance of the Sensitive. Now, I find myself having to search for a replacement.

I started by being given a bar of Ach Brito Mogno (Not a cream, I know). I bought samples of Vitos Eucalyptus and LEA cream. I also bought a tube of Ach Brito Lavanda cream and a sample of Stirling Scot Pine Sheep (not a cream, I know). I also have a stick of Arko and a tub. I have the Speick stick but the reformulation is so bad it is not in consideration. These are the ones I have started with. I am trying to find something inexpensive, like La Toja, that still performs as good as La Toja. I have expensive soaps that are as good or better, but that is not what i am after. I want something excellent and cost effective.

I started by shaving two days with La Toja Sensitive shave cream as a base of comparison. I put Arko to the test. It was about what one would expect from Arko. There was decent, but not great cushion, and there was some slickness and some residual slickness. However, it was not as good as La Toja (I also have sticks of this). The smell is okay, but not great. it smells like old fashioned bath soap or detergent.

Then, I lathered up the Mogno. I might be able to roll some of this into a tube, but I pressed it into a round jar by cutting the corners of the square bar. I wet my brush as normal, shook it out three times, as usual, and loaded the brush. I moved to my face to build the lather. This stuff lathers really well. It came up quickly, rich and thick.

However, it wasn't as good a performer as the La Toja. The residual slickness just wasn't there, but there was good enough cushion. I don't care much for the smell. I don't hate it, but it is overall too strong for my taste.

On the next shave, I tried the Vitos Eucalyptus. This is a tallow soap with lanolin. I had high hopes for this one. It lathered up fast and thick. It seemed a little dry to me. I addd water but that didn't change my thinking that it looked too dry. I shaved and immediately hated it. This soap does not have enough cushion for a straight razor. It has almost no residual slickness. It was so bad that I washed it off and relathered with the LEA cream. That was immediately better though not as good as La Toja. I was so disappointed after having high hopes for a good tallow soap. My face on one side is a slight bit raw from shaving with Vitos before I washed it off. Arko is better.

That's where things stand, today. Tomorrow and the next day I will try the other two.

If you want to try Lea at its best, try the Lea Classic cream.

If you want something else from Spain, you could also give one of the Myrsol shaving creams (croap consistency) in 150 ml tubs a shot. The F/Extra is quite nice and the Balsamico has a unique herbal scent profile.

B.

Today I used a sample puck of Stirling Scots Pine Sheep. This has tallow and lanolin. The reason I threw this into the mix is because they are generous with their samples and they are pliable enough to roll into a stick if desired.

The smell didn't smell like Scot Pine. There was a hint. The overall smell wasn't bad, but I was kind of hoping for something fresh. The good thing is that it isn't over perfumed. But, smell is a minor issue.

The soap lathered like anything from Stirling. It came up fast and thick. It does have good cushion and slickness. The residual slickness is okay, but not on par with La Toja. I've used Stirling soaps before and knew what to expect, but this is one I haven't tried. It wasn't at all bad, just fell short of La Toja. This is a fantastic soap if one shaves with a safety razor of any kind. I will try it again, but a straight razor is a demanding mistress.

Tomorrow: Ach Brito Lavanda cream.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Have you tried Cyril R Salter tub creams?

Top Bottom