What's new

My other Journal Page is about Fatips.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I know the internet is semi-anonymous and all, but pretending to be above using a rabid gerbil for stubble reduction?! #MyStars!

Then again, maybe my pillowcase would be less bloodied every night… …and my better shaves usually conform to Yorkshireman’s guide to doing things right, so I’ll try.
You know I'm terribly jealous of your shave binky. :blushing:

You know I'm terribly jealous of your shave binky. :blushing:
I couldn’t resist sending in a photo of my binky. Yes Thom & Rave I’ve been a closet binky user. It was gifted to my wife from a friend who crochets pot holders and scrubbers. Once I laid eyes on it I was smitten.

IMG_0642.jpeg

So is a shave binky smaller or about the same size as a washcloth? Looking at John’s it looks very small or he has a gigantic lathering bowl.

And how is it different from a washcloth? (I’ve been mulling over this question ever since first reading Thom’s posts so I am glad we are now in the open to have this discussion! :blush:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So is a shave binky smaller or about the same size as a washcloth? Looking at John’s it looks very small or he has a gigantic lathering bowl.

And how is it different from a washcloth? (I’ve been mulling over this question ever since first reading Thom’s posts so I am glad we are now in the open to have this discussion! :blush:

Thom calls his shaving washcloth a "binky" (comfort blanket). It's not necessarily a separate item ... other than (I'd assume) keeping it away from the other washcloths, so someone else doesn't wash their backside with it.

I was first made aware of the binky from a straight razor shaver video. (I can’t find it) His wife had made a terry towel tube he slipped over his finger or thumb to aid in skin flattening (stretching). @thombrogan may have viewed it as well? Thom has mentioned and embraced its use in all his shaves. I also used a face towel as does Thom until I absconded with a gifted pot scrubber from my wife. I use it mostly in the moustache goatee area. I also find it useful in wiping any wayward lather off my shave handle.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I was first made aware of the binky from a straight razor shaver video. (I can’t find it) His wife had made a terry towel tube he slipped over his finger or thumb to aid in skin flattening (stretching). @thombrogan may have viewed it as well? Thom has mentioned and embraced its use in all his shaves. I also used a face towel as does Thom until I absconded with a gifted pot scrubber from my wife. I use it mostly in the moustache goatee area. I also find it useful in wiping any wayward lather off my shave handle.
I’ve used a wet shave binky to help with skin stretching over slick lather. It works very well, but you need to know how to use skin stretching for that to matter. Combs and bars on safety razors are better at it than I am.
I might be a bit greedy, but I feel the need to have a shave binky. If it's simply an ordinary washcloth to which one has become emotionally attached, that's one thing. However, based on your description, it seems to be more, although I admit I'm too lazy to use it as you've described. It's possible, I'm developing Binky Acquisition Disorder. Is the following link an acceptable example?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Next lineup:

Blackbird Ti SB/New Lord Platinum
017_01_1_16 conv.jpeg

Proraso Green Pre-Shave
004_01_01_16 conv.jpeg

Van Der Lovett Sailor's Blend
009_01_01_16 conv.jpeg

EJ87-6 SYNST
010_01_1_14 conv.jpeg

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
013_01_01_14 conv.jpeg

The lilacs at the Koenes family's residence are beginning to bloom. They haven't reached full bloom yet, but they will soon. It's time for the Veg!
050_1_12 conv.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That swanky hanky would make a great binky, Rave. Get enough of them to last between laundry days and you’ll be golden like Grahams. For ultimate “extra,” “swag,” or “rizz,” a crocheted or knitted article like John’s in unbeatable. A comfortably close second is the blue-striped Texas tea towels made famous by @MilkCrate (if @rockviper doesn’t agree, he’s up to something).

I might be a bit greedy, but I feel the need to have a shave binky. If it's simply an ordinary washcloth to which one has become emotionally attached, that's one thing. However, based on your description, it seems to be more, although I admit I'm too lazy to use it as you've described. It's possible, I'm developing Binky Acquisition Disorder. Is the following link an acceptable example?

From the dimensions of it (40cm x 80cm [~16" x 32"]) that's kinda tarpaulin size. I would expect a "shave binky" to be small and maneuverable.

Also, "Wet Shaving Society?" I hate that expression as it refers to nearly ALL shaving (barring dry electric).

As ever, that's just my two cents. :001_rolle

The towels you have listed are appropriate as face hot towels Rave. Using a standard face towel as a binky is workable which, Thom uses and I used for quite awhile. The scrub pad I use is 1/4 the size of a face towel. It is an ideal size when using it around the goatee area. When they are larger they tend to swipe some of your lathered areas so there is that cumbersome aspect with a face towel. I also use two full face towels one loaded with bar soap and another for face and head rinsing. I purchased Turkish cotton face towels from Amazon. They are extra thick and can hold a lot of water or soap. Since I use two different butters, shea and mango in my shave. My hands do get greasy and that is where I need the soapy towel. I also use an alum block to help with my grip on razor and brush handle. I try to use and maintain dry hands for razor and brush use, so that’s another towel. OCD towel practices have been known to enhance our shave enjoyment.

Although not used as a shave binky, I use the Wettex Swedish Dishcloths for rinsing the lather off my face after the shave, they work remarkably well. I may be mistaken, but I feel that Thom uses his shave binky pre-shave, whereas I use the Swedish Dishcloths during clean-up. The Swedish dishcloths are very versatile for use around the house, replacements for paper towels in most clean up jobs.

Depends on if I shower before or after the shave. If I shower first, my binky wipes away leftover soap. Otherwise, it only cleans up razor, blade, and sink
I thought it was a hot towel treatment kind of binky. We use it in a similar way, the Swedish dishcloths can hold a ton of water, makes clean up a snap, wipe, ring out, and wipe up a second time and the countertop is all but dry to the touch. I hang it on the faucet afterward and splash on aftershave.

Top Bottom