What's new

My New Rudy Vey Flat Top!

I've been really getting into face lathering lately. I saw in a thread about the Shavemac Flat Top knots that Rudy Vey really recommended them for face lather. He said that 20mm knot with a loft of 42mm is his favorite. So, I contacted him and asked for that very brush in faux tortoise. It arrived yesterday and I used it this morning! Here's some pictures:

This is Rudy's picture of it. His camera is much better than my cell phone, so I'm starting with this one:

$BrushRV.jpg

Here's my picture of it, fresh out of the box, before washing and test lather:

$Brush1.jpg

And, here it is, after I used it for this morning's shave and let it dry all day:

$Brush2.jpg

The first thing I noticed about the brush after unpacking it, is it's heft. This is not some hollow, plastic handle. It's very substantial. It's very comfortable in my hand. The knot is a Shavemac D-01 Two Band Flat Top. It's as advertised. Soft tips, lots of backbone and scrub without scritch. That's a lot of buzzwords, but I'll tell you this: it feels great on my face. Not harsh at all. I did a test lather after washing it last night, using RazoRock Don Marco. I left the lather in the brush for about 2 hours, even though the knot had no odor at all. Don Marco's Neroli scent smelled great! When I shaved this morning, I used RR Mudder Focker and got a real face full of thick, awesome lather. Of course, RR lathers as easily as anything. I'm looking forward to trying this brush with a more challenging soap!

It hasn't bloomed much. We'll see if the bloom gets larger as time goes on!

All in all, you can't go wrong with a Rudy Vey brush. Rudy is a real pleasure to deal with and is a true artist! Plus, he threw in a travel sized tube of Lea Cream! I'm very happy with my purchase!

Nice brush! I'm expecting the same knot from Shavemac to arrive next week. I haven't decided what to make for a handle yet but have a few ideas.

I've used it every day since receiving it. I'm going to put it into rotation now (I rotate about 14 brushes) before my other brushes mutiny on me!!!

This brush is superb in every way.

Congrats, that is a lovely brush.

My RV flat top is possibly my favorite brush. Feels so nice on the face, outstanding backbone with extremly soft tips. The D01 two-band hair is perfect for the flat top shape.

$IMG_3190.jpg

Top Bottom