What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Short Comb" arrived. Yay!

So we can assume your stating that the Gillette OLD type as being "the best razor ever made" is being held in reserve until you actually try the best razor ever made? :001_tongu lol

Absolutely not.

THE BEST RAZOR EVER MADE!.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll reserve my own judgement until I get a Single Ring, but the SC will be hard to beat I think.

So we can assume your stating that the Gillette OLD type as being "the best razor ever made" is being held in reserve until you actually try the best razor ever made?
I got your back @TobyC.

I have both De Luxes and the SC and yes, the Old Type reigns supreme. The 15mm NEW De Luxe is pretty darn close though.

Don't ask me to pick between the Old Type and the Barbasol Floating Head or Wardonia Mk.VI though.

I got your back @TobyC.

I have both De Luxes and the SC and yes, the Old Type reigns supreme. The 15mm NEW De Luxe is pretty darn close though.

Don't ask me to pick between the Old Type and the Barbasol Floating Head or Wardonia Mk.VI though.

Good man, one of the OLD type faithful! :a14: :thumbup:

The Barbasol Floating Head and Wardonia Mk.VI are not on my list at the moment, there is no more room on my list!!!

The Barbasol Floating Head and Wardonia Mk.VI are not on my list at the moment, there is no more room on my list!!!
If my junk razor lot ever arrives from Europe, I might end up with an extra Wardonia. If so, I'll send you a baseplate. You'll need to either fill/redrill or oblong the holes and then use an Old Type thick cap with whatever handle you like.

If my junk razor lot ever arrives from Europe, I might end up with an extra Wardonia. If so, I'll send you a baseplate. You'll need to either fill/redrill or oblong the holes and then use an Old Type thick cap with whatever handle you like.

That would be very cool! You don't have that stuff yet?!!! How long's it been?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
First shave with my Gillette New Type SC. Wow! All I can say is blade rigidity! I used the narrower LC top cap that came with the SC. It was considerably milder than my New Type LC which is fine because I was looking for different. Tomorrow. I will try the wider LC cap from my New Type LC to see if that somehow increases its aggressiveness comparable to said LC. It doesn't make sense that it would because logic dictates that a narrower cap should be more aggressive, but then I thought of other factors like cap thickness. There is also base plate size to factor in which I have no idea of the differences. Thoughts? I will then use the cap I like best for the remainder of the week and next week. Then switch it up because sometimes it takes time to learn a certain combination, or razor, to bring it to its full potential. Overall I am very pleased with the results and what I was looking for after reading all the hype about the New's. It was a fantastic experience it truly was a smooth shaver and the rigidity was, well, rigid!~Cheers!
0005.JPG
0007.JPG
0006.JPG

Last edited:
First shave with my Gillette New Type SC. Wow! All I can say is blade rigidity! I used the narrower LC top cap that came with the SC. It was considerably milder than my New Type LC which is fine because I was looking for different. Tomorrow. I will try the wider LC cap from my New Type LC to see if that somehow increases its aggressiveness comparable to said LC. It doesn't make sense that it would because logic dictates that a narrower cap should be more aggressive, but then I thought of other factors like cap thickness. There is also base plate size to factor in which I have no idea of the differences. Thoughts? I will then use the cap I like best for the remainder of the week and next week. Then switch it up because sometimes it takes time to learn a certain combination, or razor to bring it to its full potential. Overall I am very pleased with the results and what I was looking for reading all the hype about the New's. It was a fantastic experience it truly was a smooth shaver and the rigidity was, well, rigid!~Cheers!
View attachment 815047 View attachment 815049 View attachment 815048

:thumbsup:

Cap thickness makes a difference. It's best to measure the thickness of the cap and baseplate together, entire profile. The narrow thinnest cap is typically more aggressive.

I highly doubt it was "milder!" The LC chatters and flex, so you "feel" the blade more. The LC and Deluxe gives you the illusion that it is more aggressive.

The SC is smooth because the blade is stiff and not chattering, so you don't "feel" the blade the same but it's there.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!

Cap thickness makes a difference. It's best to measure the thickness of the cap and baseplate together, entire profile. The narrow thinnest cap is typically more aggressive.

I highly doubt it was "milder!" The LC chatters and flex, so you "feel" the blade more. The LC and Deluxe gives you the illusion that it is more aggressive.

The SC is smooth because the blade is stiff and not chattering, so you don't "feel" the blade the same but it's there.
Thank you for responding rabidus. It is always a pleasure to pick your brain. Thank you for your input. I really have been learning a lot. I'll let you know what I think of the other top cap tomorrow, and maybe do a side by side comparison photos.
-Rave

Last edited:
Thank you for responding rabidus. It is always a pleasure to pick your brain. Thank you for your input. I really have been learning a lot. I'll let you know what I think of the other top cap tomorrow, and maybe do a side by side comparison photos.
-Rave

I must warn you, my brain is a scary place! :badger:

The differences in the caps are noticeable and you can fine tune the SC. The postwar Tech cap will make it milder also. Personally, I'll take the SC with any cap over the less rigid NEW's.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've never used mine with any cap but the SC cap that rabidus sent with it. I certainly dont want it any milder, and I gave my LC away so thats not an option now.

The SC is a very smooth and easy to use razor, but its much more aggressive than any of my other razors, the Brit Rocket, Brit Tech and LC I gave away included. The British Flare Tip Rocket there is something special about. It shaved as smooth as the SC and while being milder, was just as effective. I could have a BBS shave in the same 2 1/2 passes with it. Perhaps is was the SB vs the OC.

I cant put my finger on the difference and either can my nephew, but we both agree its one of the best razors either of us have used.

Then switch it up because sometimes it takes time to learn a certain combination, or razor, to bring it to its full potential.

For a change of pace once you've accustomed yourself to the SC, switch to a post war Tech if you have one. It's just as rigid but even smoother because of having less blade gap. I use my Tech maybe once every 7-10 days or so and I'm always so surprised how smooth and comfortable it is, but it takes me twice the passes. The SC takes big bites, the Tech just little ones.

Navigating the cluttered mess of rabidus's brain can be overwhelming, theres so much in there! I am a bit afraid of looking into the darker corners where the carbon steel blades live! haha.

I have a long comb (great razor) one of these days I need to get a short comb.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've never used mine with any cap but the SC cap that rabidus sent with it. I certainly dont want it any milder, and I gave my LC away so thats not an option now.

The SC is a very smooth and easy to use razor, but its much more aggressive than any of my other razors, the Brit Rocket, Brit Tech and LC I gave away included. The British Flare Tip Rocket there is something special about. It shaved as smooth as the SC and while being milder, was just as effective. I could have a BBS shave in the same 2 1/2 passes with it. Perhaps is was the SB vs the OC.

I cant put my finger on the difference and either can my nephew, but we both agree its one of the best razors either of us have used.

For a change of pace once you've accustomed yourself to the SC, switch to a post war Tech if you have one. It's just as rigid but even smoother because of having less blade gap. I use my Tech maybe once every 7-10 days or so and I'm always so surprised how smooth and comfortable it is, but it takes me twice the passes. The SC takes big bites, the Tech just little ones.

Navigating the cluttered mess of rabidus's brain can be overwhelming, theres so much in there! I am a bit afraid of looking into the darker corners where the carbon steel blades live! haha.
I do have a 1956 Tech I picked up in Farmington NM this summer. I used it once on vacation. It was nice. When I got home I went on to my Schone and a rotation scheme. I will give it proper attention. As far as the dark recesses of radius mind...:yikes:

I've never used mine with any cap but the SC cap that rabidus sent with it. I certainly dont want it any milder

Try the SC with the Postwar Tech cap!

As far as the dark recesses of radius mind...:yikes:

:letterk2:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
For a change of pace once you've accustomed yourself to the SC, switch to a post war Tech if you have one. It's just as rigid but even smoother because of having less blade gap. I use my Tech maybe once every 7-10 days or so and I'm always so surprised how smooth and comfortable it is, but it takes me twice the passes.
Here's a picture of my Farmington NM find. My 56 Tech and a British Tech. Not a fan of gold plating but it doesn't affect the shave lol.
20170724_180518.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Here's a picture of my Farmington NM find. My 56 Tech and a British Tech. Not a fan of gold plating but it doesn't affect the shave lol.
View attachment 815130

Mines the same but Nickel plated. I personally prefer gold. That gold cap would be living on my SC :)

I preferred the US Tech over the Brit. The US handle felt more...substantial to me, and I think maybe the plating is thicker. The head just has a more finished look to it and the razor itself a nicer feel. Thats a bit difficult to substantiate, but when you pick up a quality item, be it a watch, knife, lighter, whatever, you can feel it. The Brit seemed to me as if it was made in a hurry, or maybe the last run on a Friday haha.

Much the same way as my LC felt compared to the SC. The SC appears to me a finely machined piece of work, but my LC seemed like it was stamped out on a production line quickly and cheaply. Hard for me to quantify.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I preferred the US Tech over the Brit. The US handle felt more...substantial to me, and I think maybe the plating is thicker. The head just has a more finished look to it and the razor itself a nicer feel. Thats a bit difficult to substantiate, but when you pick up a quality item, be it a watch, knife, lighter, whatever, you can feel it. The Brit seemed to me as if it was made in a hurry, or maybe the last run on a Friday haha.
I believe my Brit-Tech has an aluminium handle and a zamak top cap...not a fan of the weight it's almost like a bakelite without the bakelite cool.

Top Bottom