What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Short Comb" arrived. Yay!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I just started collecting vintage so I'm really out of my league as to what to look for. Up until now I have collected current production razors and have around 15 of them with all brass Fatip's being my clear favorite. I have no desire to collect higher end stainless or aerospace materials. So far I'm learning about vintage as I go by trial and error. Right now I'm torn between returning the New Type LC as my heart was set on the SC. On the other hand TobyC's advice shave with it and let my face decide, and Hoka Hey's response of not kicking it out of bed for eating cookies really makes me want to give it a go. I appreciate Rabidus mission of blade rigidity and like the idea of the blade being as rigid as possible. Yet, I started out many moons ago on Merkur solid bar heads. They are not the most rigid, and I never had an issue with any of them even ATG. So rigidity is something I like the idea of rather than an over riding factor. I think in the scheme of things there are a lot less rigid razors than a New Type LC by the looks of the head, and that I could do a heck of a lot worse than a New LC. I was hoping for the more obscure SC. So I'm debating a return, but also think I should give it a go before I bin something I might totally love. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After a week with the NEW SC, this evening's shave was with my Old Type (for the comparison):
View attachment 813193 View attachment 813194
Well, I knew it would be close and it was. But the NEW SC comes out on top. I like its blade gap, which the Old Type doesn't have... and in general it just gave me a better and more accurate shave.

I normally get BBS every shave these days, and I did easily with both razors. But the NEW SC gives me a "finer polished" BBS shave than the Old Type.

Regarding blade alignment (by eye) both razors have exactly the same amount of blade "play." No winner there.

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT.

And below is the scorecard update:
@rabidus +1 :thumbup1:
@TobyC . –1 :001_tt2:

I'm a bit surprised to hear that honestly.

My nephew has been shaving with a Single Ring for the last week and he says, along with some others on this forum, that it shaves him considerably closer than the Brit Rocket, Brit Tech and NEW LC I sent him. I think he said he's down to shaving every 3rd day now it gives such a close shave. He also said its very unforgiving and his technique with it isnt quite there with it yet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
For those that are curious about the differences between the NEW LC and the NEW SC, see the pics below of both of mine.

SC on the left in every picture. The SC has the proper SC cap.

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

FWIW, the LC in those pictures shaved nearly as mild as a Tech. To me it felt like an OC Tech and was a very nice razor for everything except ATG. For me the blade flex was noticeable and still couldnt get me BBS ATG on my neck with a shim.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just started collecting vintage so I'm really out of my league as to what to look for. Up until now I have collected current production razors and have around 15 of them with all brass Fatip's being my clear favorite. I have no desire to collect higher end stainless or aerospace materials. So far I'm learning about vintage as I go by trial and error. Right now I'm torn between returning the New Type LC as my heart was set on the SC. On the other hand TobyC's advice shave with it and let my face decide, and Hoka Hey's response of not kicking it out of bed for eating cookies really makes me want to give it a go. I appreciate Rabidus mission of blade rigidity and like the idea of the blade being as rigid as possible. Yet, I started out many moons ago on Merkur solid bar heads. They are not the most rigid, and I never had an issue with any of them even ATG. So rigidity is something I like the idea rather than an over riding factor. I think in the scheme of things there are a lot less rigid razors than a New Type LC by the looks of the head, and that I could do a heck of a lot worse than a New LC. I was hoping for the more obscure SC. So I'm debating a return, but also think I should give it a go before I bin something I might totally love. Just my thoughts.

Use it. If you shave ATG and have any issues, a shim helped mine about 50%. If you dont shave ATG you likely wont have any issues and its a very mild, comfortable forgiving razor, despite the blade feel, and can be very effective.

I just started collecting vintage so I'm really out of my league as to what to look for. Up until now I have collected current production razors and have around 15 of them with all brass Fatip's being my clear favorite. I have no desire to collect higher end stainless or aerospace materials. So far I'm learning about vintage as I go by trial and error. Right now I'm torn between returning the New Type LC as my heart was set on the SC. On the other hand TobyC's advice shave with it and let my face decide, and Hoka Hey's response of not kicking it out of bed for eating cookies really makes me want to give it a go. I appreciate Rabidus mission of blade rigidity and like the idea of the blade being as rigid as possible. Yet, I started out many moons ago on Merkur solid bar heads. They are not the most rigid, and I never had an issue with any of them even ATG. So rigidity is something I like the idea rather than an over riding factor. I think in the scheme of things there are a lot less rigid razors than a New Type LC by the looks of the head, and that I could do a heck of a lot worse than a New LC. I was hoping for the more obscure SC. So I'm debating a return, but also think I should give it a go before I bin something I might totally love. Just my thoughts.

The shave will tell you more than all the words on this forum. @rabidus doesn't like the pre-war Tech either, yet it is one of my favorite razors. There are many on this forum who love and use the New LC and the pre-war Tech, you need to decide for yourself what works for you, you are the only person on this forum with your face.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The shave will tell you more than all the words on this forum. @rabidus doesn't like the pre-war Tech either, yet it is one of my favorite razors. There are many on this forum who love and use the New LC and the pre-war Tech, you need to decide for yourself what works for you, you are the only person on this forum with your face.
True that. :thumbsup: A pre-war Tech is on my short list as a must have.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Note to Cal: Sorry about co-opting your thread a bit off topic my friend. I was hoping to be in the SC club...maybe not today but...:001_smile

I BBS my face and head everyday. With a rigid blade edge it's pretty easy to do.

The Prewar Tech and LC would not tackle my problem areas as easy as the Postwar Tech and NEW SC.

My coarse stubble would cause the blade to flex and chatter and I would end up with weepers. With a rigid blade edge, I don't bleed at all, no matter how aggressive the razor is! Zero irritation face and head shaving everyday. With a rigid blade edge, I can go over areas many times without relathering.

When I say BBS, I can rub my face and head with extreme pressure and not feel any stubble at all in any direction. I start to feel stubble on my face after about 12 hours.

I simply don't use razors that lack in rigidity because they will cause me blood loss and irritation with the level of BBS shaves I get.

Last edited:
Question for @Hoka Hey and @rabidus (and any other NEW SC aficionados)

Was the 1934-ish Gillette New "Black and Red" set made with the SC?

mr-razor shows the set with an LC, but I seem to have scored a set with the SC (centered diamond logo). It's not here yet or I'd share pix.

So. Was the set made with SC as well as the much-more-common LC? or has someone replaced the razor in the box (which we see all day long on the bid site).

Many thanks.

AA

I believe the SC, LC, and Deluxe all came in the Red and Black with common bar handles.

Yep. I have one of each in the red and black case. The Deluxe is a 1935 with common bar handle, like the LC, SC.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I still need a pre war Tech myself!
:thumbsup: My short list as of now is one New Type SC and one Pre-War Tech, and that's about it although you've peaked my curiosity with the New Deluxe. I'm really not into collecting any TTO's. I do have a Cree sister who offered to look up in Canada for three piece Canadian razors at Flee markets, and a school teacher at my work who inherited some old razors from an elderly neighbor who passed. She did say that some of them looked like my New Type. They are in storage and she said she'd find them and give them to me. If there are TTO's or Post War Tech's I might give one to my Grandson to start with. I thought about giving him a Merkur, but the way most teenagers treat stuff I want to shy away from zamak no matter how well it shaves for a starter.

:thumbsup: My short list as of now is one New Type SC and one Pre-War Tech, and that's about it for now although you've peaked my curiosity with the New Deluxe. I'm really not into TTO's. I do have a Cree sister who offered to look up in Canada for three piece Canadian razors at Flee markets, and a school teacher at my work who inherited some old razors from an elderly neighbor who passed. She did say that some of them looked like my New Type. They are in storage and she said she'd find them and give them to me. If there are TTO's or Post War Tech's I might give one to my Grandson to start with. I thought about giving him a Merkur, but the way most teenagers treat stuff I want to shy away from zamak no matter how well it shaves for a starter.

The Canadian pre war with triangle lather slots is considered the most aggressive Tech, followed by the US pre war Tech.

Don't be to quick to turn away TTO's found in Canada, as they are most likely made in England, and very very nice. Quite a bit different in the feel opening and closing. Almost hydraulic feeling.

So I'm wondering after looking at the photos. Is the cap on the SC different than on the LC? Mine look the same. Here is the cap off my SC.
20170816_120017.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It goes to show you. I thought the OLD was the finest vintage Gillette, until last month's Razor of the Month thing and I tried a NEW (LC).

Since then, have vacuumed up severals LCs - do like them a lot - but like the SC even more. :a39: Especially the rhodium-plated SC I have ...

AA

It goes to show you. I thought the OLD was the finest vintage Gillette, until last month's Razor of the Month thing and I tried a NEW (LC).

Since then, have vacuumed up severals LCs - do like them a lot - but like the SC even more. :a39: Especially the rhodium-plated SC I have ...

AA
I was bidding on that one. Glad it went to someone here.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Don't be to quick to turn away TTO's found in Canada, as they are most likely made in England, and very very nice. Quite a bit different in the feel opening and closing. Almost hydraulic feeling.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make an exception for that new tto fangled device thing as long as it's British lol!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was bidding on that one. Glad it went to someone here.

Oops. No big loss - I was PM'd; someone pointed out it's mismatched anyways ... that particular handle is a no-go with that particular head (though Gillette may have assembled them that way).

However I have no patients with sending stuff off ...and it's really shiny ... and shaves well.

AA

Top Bottom