What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Short Comb" arrived. Yay!

The Canadian pre war with triangle lather slots is considered the most aggressive Tech, followed by the US pre war Tech.
As someone who has both, I detect no difference at all in aggressiveness. The Canadian one is still better because, well, it's Canadian ;-)

After five days shaving with my beloved Old Type I started pining for my new NEW SC. This evening's shave was back to the NEW:
upload_2017-8-22_1-1-45.png

I still love my Old Type, but the NEW SC is definitely a superior animal all round (for me). And although my lather and blade were the same ones (well, admittedly today's lather was freshly made), they felt NEW too.

Once again, thank you @rabidus, this is one fantastic razor! :thumbup:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Glad to hear the SC is working so well for you. I may take mine with me when I die haha, but I still need a Single Ring!

Are you finally cracking?:a17:

In more ways than one! :lol1:

I respect @1Cal, I trust his opinion, and I already conceded to @rabidus that the New SC was made like an OLD. Final decision can only be made by my face, but I really have no doubt after looking closely at the baseplate that it will work at least as well as an OLD. :thumbup1:

Final decision can only be made by my face, but I really have no doubt after looking closely at the baseplate that it will work at least as well as an OLD.
While the NEW SC is a darn fine razor, it ain't no Old.

Try an oval-slot Tech (more rigid) if you haven't already and compare it to your pre-War Tech (less rigid). It's kind of like comparing a NEW SC to an LC.

While the NEW SC is a darn fine razor, it ain't no Old.

Try an oval-slot Tech (more rigid) if you haven't already and compare it to your pre-War Tech (less rigid). It's kind of like comparing a NEW SC to an LC.

I need a post war Tech too. (Gee whiz) :a36:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I BBS my face and head everyday. With a rigid blade edge it's pretty easy to do.

The Prewar Tech and LC would not tackle my problem areas as easy as the Postwar Tech and NEW SC.

My coarse stubble would cause the blade to flex and chatter and I would end up with weepers. With a rigid blade edge, I don't bleed at all, no matter how aggressive the razor is! Zero irritation face and head shaving everyday. With a rigid blade edge, I can go over areas many times without relathering.

When I say BBS, I can rub my face and head with extreme pressure and not feel any stubble at all in any direction. I start to feel stubble on my face after about 12 hours.

I simply don't use razors that lack in rigidity because they will cause me blood loss and irritation with the level of BBS shaves I get.
Rabidus, Before using my New Type LC blade rigidity was a nice logical concept that made sense. After using my New LC theory is reality and I'm switching razors mid-week. My New LC felt like a rake in one area and skipped going atg. I'm switching to my New SC head which arrived yesterday. I saw some pictures you posted of different top caps on the New Type SC. It seems like the top cap on my new head is a pre-war Tech as it looks exactly like your picture. The width of the top cap is less than the Gillette New LC, and it doesn't have the squared off blade tabs but the ones that curve downward. Toby is right about the base plate looking like a Gillette Old with a blade gap which is awesome. The razor head also seems to be a bit heavier than the New LC which is also a huge plus. I've loaded a blade and it is ready for tomorrow. It looks like it will give a more aggressive shave due to the pre-war Tech cap width being less than the LC? I am good with a more aggressive shave if that is the case? Just out of curiosity will the New Type LC top cap fit on the SC and will that tame it some? How would that work? I do like aggressive, but I have plenty of aggressive OC's and was looking for variety. Tamed aggressive would be fine. I look forward to trying the SC. Thanks

Rabidus, Before using my New Type LC blade rigidity was a nice logical concept that made sense. After using my New LC theory is reality and I'm switching razors mid-week. My New LC felt like a rake in one area and skipped going atg. I'm switching to my New SC head which arrived yesterday. I saw some pictures you posted of different top caps on the New Type SC. It seems like the top cap on my new head is a pre-war Tech as it looks exactly like your picture. The width of the top cap is less than the Gillette New LC, and it doesn't have the squared off blade tabs but the ones that curve downward. Toby is right about the base plate looking like a Gillette Old with a blade gap which is awesome. The razor head also seems to be a bit heavier than the New LC which is also a huge plus. I've loaded a blade and it is ready for tomorrow. It looks like it will give a more aggressive shave due to the pre-war Tech cap width being less than the LC? I am good with a more aggressive shave if that is the case? Just out of curiosity will the New Type LC top cap fit on the SC and will that tame it some? How would that work? I do like aggressive, but I have plenty of aggressive OC's and was looking for variety. Tamed aggressive would be fine. I look forward to trying the SC. Thanks

The cap pictured in post #1 Gillette Short Comb (SC) admiration is the prewar Tech cap, it has short blade aligning bars and is the mildest cap for me. All the cap are interchangeable except the original SC cap with squared off corner tabs it only fits on the SC baseplate.

You'll have to shave with them to determine which cap works best for you!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The cap pictured in post #1 Gillette Short Comb (SC) admiration is the prewar Tech cap, it has short blade aligning bars and is the mildest cap for me. All the cap are interchangeable except the original SC cap with squared off corner tabs it only fits on the SC baseplate.

You'll have to shave with them to determine which cap works best for you!
Thanks, I believe the top cap has long aligning bars and looks like the LC cap with less width by at least 2mm (I'm at work so I can't measure or send pictures. It will be fun to find what works best. For now I've found the New LC by itself an evil and scourge in my razor collection. Its only redeeming quality is it looks vintage art deco cool, and the top cap may be a pleasant surprise on my SC.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
For now I've found the New LC by itself an evil and scourge in my razor collection. Its only redeeming quality is it looks vintage art deco cool, and the top cap may be a pleasant surprise on my SC.

I had to laugh at that lol.

I can relate, mine frustrated me to no end. It was a really nice razor over all areas for me except the swirls on either side of my adams apple. Even shimmed it wouldnt BBS them. I didnt get weepers there but like you said, it skipped over them. The SC on the other hand, wipes that stubble off with very little effort given a sharp enough blade.

Thanks, I believe the top cap has long aligning bars and looks like the LC cap with less width by at least 2mm (I'm at work so I can't measure or send pictures. It will be fun to find what works best. For now I've found the New LC by itself an evil and scourge in my razor collection. Its only redeeming quality is it looks vintage art deco cool, and the top cap may be a pleasant surprise on my SC.

@1Cal cap measured .758" wide, blade edge to edge if memory serves me correctly.

The SC has different caps. The LC has different caps and wear and tear issues. I found a lot if inconsistencies with different LC's. The bade gap could be different from one LC to another, or even one side to the other. Every SC that passed through my hands all had the same blade gap and both sides were the same.

I've had LC's blade gap range from .017" to .031"ish. I don't think that's by design.

You may end up with a mild smooth LC or a really aggressive one.

I've had at least 10 LC's and 10 SC's pass through my hands, still have a few.

I've only had 3 NEW Deluxe razors and they were constant. Two 17mm and one 15mm. The 15mm had a little more blade feel for me.

Top Bottom