What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Short Comb" arrived. Yay!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:001_huh: I'm guessing there must be a problem with your Old Type. Maybe it's a bent baseplate or cap. The Old Type and the NEW SC clamp the blade equally rigidly IME.

Cal, thanks. It's partly a tounge-in-cheek comment about the SC's famed blade rigidity quality.

Also - more seriously - I was using a 40-year-old Schick Krona blade, just for laughs. Never used a vintage blade before.

Will say. Never use a questionable quality ancient blade in an OLD type. Not a good combo, no. Maybe that blade would work in a super-mild razor, but that mean OLD gave a very *uncomfortable* shave with it. Sharp, close, no weepers, but lots of aftershave sting. Lots.

AA

my first impression was that my NEW RFB is way smoother than my NEW LC...
Stand by ... someone will come around and tell you it's all in your head and that the razors shave equally well ;-)

I'm not that person - I also find my NEW RFB to be way smoother than all my other NEWs.

Stand by ... someone will come around and tell you it's all in your head and that the razors shave equally well ;-)

I'm not that person - I also find my NEW RFB to be way smoother than all my other NEWs.

Thank you very much for your comment! At least I'm not imagining things. MY New LC is WAY more aggressive than my RFB. So much that I already was thinking that something is wrong with my LC.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thank you very much for your comment! At least I'm not imagining things. MY New LC is WAY more aggressive than my RFB. So much that I already was thinking that something is wrong with my LC.

I've read that not all NEW LC's were made the same. Blade gaps may vary .015" or more between razors. Mine for example was very mild, as mild as my Tech, but I've read that some are considerably more aggressive.

From what I understand, the NEW SC blade gap was the same .023" across several different razors.

I've read that not all NEW LC's were made the same. Blade gaps may vary .015" or more between razors. Mine for example was very mild, as mild as my Tech, but I've read that some are considerably more aggressive.

It's much worse than that!

Comparing the RFB to the LC is like comparing two horrible meals that you have to eat one of. Naturally, you're going to eat the one that doesn't taste as bad as the other one!

IME the RFB was smoother than the LC, but neither are as good as the SC!

Thank you very much for all your comments & sharing your insights. I'll have to dig deeper into the LC, SC, RFB topic.

@Esox That is very interesting and may explain some things that until now never made much sense to me. I guess I have one of those aggressive LCs. Shaving with it is very rough and it is my least favorite razor at the moment. I'd choose the "less aggressive" Mühle R41 over it anytime. I like to look at my LC as it is a beautiful razor, but when I think of shaving with it, I just think "stay away from me!"

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That is very interesting and may explain some things that until now never made much sense to me. I guess I have one of those aggressive LCs. Shaving with it is very rough and it is my least favorite razor at the moment. I'd choose the "less aggressive" Mühle R41 over it anytime. I like to look at my LC as it is a beautiful razor, but when I think of shaving with it, I just think "stay away from me!"

I really liked mine, but it just wasnt effective over my trouble spots. It was a very nice smooth mild shaver on the rest of my face and if I didnt want a BBS finish every shave I wouldnt have given it away. I do however, want that BBS finish so now I only have razors of a more rigid design as I've found thats what works best for me.

You can see my discovery of that in this thread: Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It
https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-lc-not-cutting-it.520246/
The NEW SC is an entirely different design and a much more rigid design as well.

I really liked mine, but it just wasnt effective over my trouble spots. It was a very nice smooth mild shaver on the rest of my face and if I didnt want a BBS finish every shave I wouldnt have given it away. I do however, want that BBS finish so now I only have razors of a more rigid design as I've found thats what works best for me.

You can see my discovery of that in this thread: Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It
The NEW SC is an entirely different design and a much more rigid design as well.

This thread also highlights the differences between the NEW types: Safety Razor of the Month: July 2017

Thank you very much @Esox for showing the way!

Top Bottom