What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Short Comb" arrived. Yay!

But the NEW SC gives me a "finer polished" BBS shave than the Old Type.
The initiated has spoken...

That's after one week, wait until you start getting jiggy with it!

BOOOO!!!

Do a blind test and use the same handle on both or it doesn't count! :nono: :prrr:

You'll be okay after your nap! :yawn:

Rabidus, I haven't used the New Type Short Comb yet. I believe it's all original. Here are pictures. Please let me know.
View attachment 813200 View attachment 813201

That's a NEW long comb(LC)! The SC is different, better different!

:laugh: There's no way you'll get me to do a blind test. Razors are SHARP you know! :devil:

But as a compromise (yes, I hate compromises as much as you do) I'll shave with my Old Type for a few more days then go back to my NEW SC but with my Old Type's handle on it... and report back.

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: Nah, don't bother, I was just being me! :smartass: I have no doubt that the New SC is very similar to the OLD, and even two identical razors will feel a little different, so a re-test is moot also. Different days, blades, soap, prep, etc., and either one could come out on top in a comparison test. I will concede to the extent that the New SC is as good as an OLD, at least until I try one myself. Enjoy your shaves, and let me rant and rave occasionally, it's what I do best! :thumbup: :001_tongu

That's what I need, a good nap!

img_1693.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The initiated has spoken...

That's after one week, wait until you start getting jiggy with it!

That's a NEW long comb(LC)! The SC is different, better different!
Thanks for the heads up. I've heard they are very similar and there is a sort of consensus that the LC is slightly more aggressive? Either way it's a beautiful razor, and I don't expect it to be an improvement over the Old which I've heard said was perfection right out of the gate...different is good though.

Thanks for the heads up. I've heard they are very similar and there is a sort of consensus that the LC is slightly more aggressive? Either way it's a beautiful razor, and I don't expect it to be an improvement over the Old which I've heard said was perfection right out of the gate...different is good though.

I'm afraid I don't share that consensus! The SC is an improved design which supports the blade more than the LC.

As @TobyC mentioned, it can be as simple as a coin toss! Both the Old Type and NEW SC are excellent razors and have max rigidity.

I prefer the NEW SC...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm afraid I don't share that consensus! The SC is an improved design which supports the blade more than the LC.

As @TobyC mentioned, it can be as simple as a coin toss! Both the Old Type and NEW SC are excellent razors and have max rigidity.

I prefer the NEW SC...
Thanks for your input. I'm a confirmed steep angle shaver. How do you think the LC does steeper? I've heard the angle is a bit narrower than the SC.

LC is a bit milder. Nice easy shaver. Wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating cookies. You can identify the LC by the Gillette diamond stamp towards the edge of the baseplate.

On an SC the diamond stamp is centered on the handle. Look back at 1Cal's picture on last page.

Personally the NEW Deluxe is my favorite NEW, and my favorite razor. Best combination of aggressiveness and comfort/smoothness I've found.

Thanks for your input. I'm a confirmed steep angle shaver. How do you think the LC does steeper? I've heard the angle is a bit narrower than the SC.

I don't think steep is the way to go with any razor, take the razor of your choice and shave one side of your face steep, and the other side shallow, and compare. Steep isn't manly, it's just rough.

I don't think steep is the way to go with any razor, take the razor of your choice and shave one side of your face steep, and the other side shallow, and compare. Steep isn't manly, it's just rough.
C'mon, do you think those of us that prefer steep angle shaving do it because it feels rougher?

I fully respect the fact that steep angle shaving feels rougher for you. Maybe you haven't given it a chance, maybe it just doesn't work for you; both are valid reasons for not liking it.

... but making a blanket statement like "Steep isn't manly, it's just rough" as if it's a global fact is just wrong.

As to your suggestion to try both angles on different sides of your face, many of us have done that and chronicled it in the Steep versus shallow angle Throwdown thread.

C'mon, do you think those of us that prefer steep angle shaving do it because it feels rougher?

I fully respect the fact that steep angle shaving feels rougher for you. Maybe you haven't given it a chance, maybe it just doesn't work for you; both are valid reasons for not liking it.

... but making a blanket statement like "Steep isn't manly, it's just rough" as if it's a global fact is just wrong.

As to your suggestion to try both angles on different sides of your face, many of us have done that and chronicled it in the Steep versus shallow angle Throwdown thread.

Sorry if I pushed a button, gee whiz! Shallow works much better for me. How steep is steep, at some point it's just scraping? What does steep do better?

Sorry if I pushed a button, gee whiz! Shallow works much better for me. How steep is steep, at some point it's just scraping? What does steep do better?
Definitely no offense taken.

In general, I shave with the handle lifted about 30 degrees up from straight down when shaving cheeks, but it depends on the razor. Basically, start at pure rake, lift handle until it starts to bite, then maybe 10 or 20 degrees higher. Too steep and it's definitely scraping.

Coincidentally, I learned how to shave steep on the Old Type. I find that the combs gently stretch the skin, and tight skin shaves better than looser skin.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Question for @Hoka Hey and @rabidus (and any other NEW SC aficionados)

Was the 1934-ish Gillette New "Black and Red" set made with the SC?

mr-razor shows the set with an LC, but I seem to have scored a set with the SC (centered diamond logo). It's not here yet or I'd share pix.

So. Was the set made with SC as well as the much-more-common LC? or has someone replaced the razor in the box (which we see all day long on the bid site).

Many thanks.

AA

Question for @Hoka Hey and @rabidus (and any other NEW SC aficionados)

Was the 1934-ish Gillette New "Black and Red" set made with the SC?

mr-razor shows the set with an LC, but I seem to have scored a set with the SC (centered diamond logo). It's not here yet or I'd share pix.

So. Was the set made with SC as well as the much-more-common LC? or has someone replaced the razor in the box (which we see all day long on the bid site).

Many thanks.

AA

I believe the SC, LC, and Deluxe all came in the Red and Black with common bar handles.

Top Bottom