What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Short Comb" arrived. Yay!

IMHO if you don't notice the difference in rigidity, that a NEW SC and postwar Tech is better than a NEW Deluxe, LC and prewar Tech, then your beard is not coarse enough for it to matter.
You keep pointing this out like you have the most he-man beard on the planet, and no one with a coarse beard can shave comfortably with a less stiff NEW LC or Muhle R41. If you step off your pedestal, you'll see that people with coarse beards are everywhere, and have been shaving comfortably with all sorts of razors for more than a century.

You get a better shave with stiffer razors - that's a fact Some of us who also have really coarse beards can get just as good a shave with less rigid razors. That's also a fact. Don't presume you're an expert about shaving any other face but your own.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You keep pointing this out like you have the most he-man beard on the planet, and no one with a coarse beard can shave comfortably with a less stiff NEW LC or Muhle R41. If you step off your pedestal, you'll see that people with coarse beards are everywhere, and have been shaving comfortably with all sorts of razors for more than a century.

You get a better shave with stiffer razors - that's a fact Some of us who also have really coarse beards can get just as good a shave with less rigid razors. That's also a fact. Don't presume you're an expert about shaving any other face but your own.

I cant shave with a NEW LC and get a BBS finish, no matter how hard I tried as stated in this thread where other people also took razor design to task.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

I guess rabidus better make room on that pedestal for me too.

I cant shave with a NEW LC and get a BBS finish, no matter how hard I tried as stated in this thread where other people also took razor design to task.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

I guess rabidus better make room on that pedestal for me too.
It's a bad workman that blames his tools.

You're dissing one of the best shaving razors on the planet. You can't shave with it because (a) it doesn't work with the technique you're using, AND (b) you haven't taken the time to adapt your technique to the razor.

Some say you shouldn't have to adapt to the razor, and that's perfectly fine as well. Just don't blame the razor.

The SC is NOT a better razor - but it is a better razor for YOU

We've already agreed to disagree, yet you continue to quote me "telling me what to say or not to say!" I am giving my opinion which I'm aloud to do, if it helps you then that's good. If it doesn't help you then move on! I'm sorry you don't like my opinion but it is just that! I have helped "many" people, that stands for something!

I will continue giving my opinion and you can continue challenging what I say! Every Super hero needs a villain...

proxy.php

Plenty of room up here @Esox!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The SC is NOT a better razor - but it is a better razor for YOU

Which is exactly what I, and I believe rabidus, have been saying all along.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont remember myself, or seeing anyone trying to force you to shave with any razor. All I've seen anyone do or say is suggest what works for them and why.

If you can shave with a blade on a stick, all the power to you. I cant, so I dont.

I'm not sure I can bring any further clarity to this conversation than I have. Come to your own conclusions and shave with what works best for you, and I'll continue doing the same.

Plenty of room up here @Esox!

Thanks! Its a better view too in my opinion.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Second week with my New Type SC. I've got it dialed in and am really enjoying it. It is a fantastic razor with solid blade rigidity. My current top five ranking of favorite razors in order are as follows:

1. Fatip Piccolo
2. Gillette Old Type (both in a dead heat).
3. Fatip Testina Gentile (I plan on using it next week perhaps with my Piccolo handle and calling it a Fatip Testina-olo)
4. Gillette New Type SC
5. Schone

Note: All five razors just happen to have excellent blade rigidity. Though not essential for me liking a razor I found this curious. I will however revisit my Gillette New LC. I did switch from Gillette Platinums to Gillette 7O'Clock Yellows. Sometimes a change in one thing can be a change in everything.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Second week with my New Type SC. I've got it dialed in and am really enjoying it. It is a fantastic razor with solid blade rigidity. My current top five ranking of favorite razors in order are as follows:

1. Fatip Piccolo
3. Fatip Testina Gentile (I plan on using it next week perhaps with my Piccolo handle and calling it a Fatip Testina-olo)
4. Gillette New Type SC
5. Schone

Note: All five razors just happen to have excellent blade rigidity. Though not essential for me liking a razor I found this curious. I will however revisit my Gillette New LC. I did switch from Gillette Platinums to Gillette 7O'Clock Yellows. Sometimes a change in one thing can be a change in everything.

I find it interesting you have the NEW SC in with the other razors you mention. All are considered "aggressive" as I understand it. I'm curious how you differentiate the shaves between the SC, the Piccolo and the Gentile.

The Piccolo head I'm interested in, but I had thought the Gentile perhaps too mild. I've been fighting buying a FaTip but I'm slowly caving in haha.

I found the Gillette yellow much sharper than the Platinum/GSB and nearly as smooth.

1. Fatip Piccolo
4. Gillette New Type SC
5. Schone

The Piccolo is an amazing razor, it's hard to put down long enough to try something else. We should all just get Piccolos and OLD types and ditch the rest! :em2300:

I find it interesting you have the NEW SC in with the other razors you mention. All are considered "aggressive" as I understand it. I'm curious how you differentiate the shaves between the SC, the Piccolo and the Gentile.

The Piccolo head I'm interested in, but I had thought the Gentile perhaps too mild. I've been fighting buying a FaTip but I'm slowly caving in haha.

I found the Gillette yellow much sharper than the Platinum/GSB and nearly as smooth.

There is little if any difference in aggression between the OLD and the New, and the Piccolo has some magical buttery smooth thing going on that makes it very user friendly.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There is little if any difference in aggression between the OLD and the New, and the Piccolo has some magical buttery smooth thing going on that makes it very user friendly.

I'm not going to be satisfied until I use a FaTip, so I guess thats that lol. I'll shop around a bit next week.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

The SC is so buttery smooth that is the reason I put it ahead of my Schone. The SC real excels in that regard. People like the Schone because they say it is a tad smoother than the Fatip OC's. For me the Gentile does that every bit as well as the Schone. I would put the Gentile in the upper mid-range aggressive category for the sake of discussion. It is a deceiving razor. Some people say that they were expecting a Fatip with a bar but it was different more mild. I say it is exactly like a Fatip with a bar once you get the angle dialed (I have heard comments on the angle) which frankly isn't that hard it is a Fatip lol! Like all Fatip's there is plenty of blade feel. For me the Gentile ranks above the SC in that my stubble comes in quicker after shaving with the SC even with BBS. The Piccolo is just tops in efficiency and a joy to use. I have an r41 and it must be the angle of the blade, or rigidity, but it is not a smooth shaver. I can only do 2 with touch up passes with it, and if I do a 3rd I pay for it. The Piccolo is nearly as efficient but way smoother. I can easily do 3 passes with touch up and get a way better shave than 2 and touch up with my r41. I cannot get bbs with 2 passes on any razor including the r41 (which may be my lack of technique I'm a bit of a Mongo). If you have shaved with an Old and like it you will love the Piccolo imo. I'd say if you are shopping for Fatip's get a Piccolo first it is the best imo. Then get a Gentile to mix things up. There is no real reason to get a Schone because those two razors have all the bases covered.

Yes the Yellow's are sharper! I find it a nice smooth blade sometimes at other times not so much. I have a love hate relationship with them (I'm only a SWB after all) I definitely like the Platinum's over the GSB. Not quite as smooth as the GSB until broken in, but close and slightly, pleasingly, more efficient.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Top Bottom