What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Short Comb" arrived. Yay!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Virtually all reliable suppliers will be selling the Mk2. I would think eBay would be about the only/best place to get the Mk1. And it should arrive in the correct box (as shown in their pics).

Mk1 box left. Mk2 box right.
View attachment 817325

That picture helped thanks. I've seen both boxes lol. Gifts&Care shows the Mk2 box, but in blue lol. Oh man, how many B&B members does it take to buy a razor? LOL

Alignment issues aside. I suspect that the Mk1 may soon not only be difficult to get hold of, but it may start costing a lot more than the Mk2. Think Mühle R41, 2011 version vs the current 2013 version.

Here's the Piccolo Mk1 (left) and Mk2 (right):
upload_2017-9-1_1-47-48.png

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Alignment issues aside. I suspect that the Mk1 may soon not only be difficult to get hold of, but it may start costing a lot more than the Mk2. Think Mühle R41, 2011 version vs the current 2013 version.

Here's the Piccolo Mk1 (left) and Mk2 (right):
View attachment 817326

Hmmm, very slight design differences in the cap and the base plate. At first glance I thought they had just milled a bit off the base of the cap, but looking closer the base plate is slightly different as well.

They are Nickel plated, or is that chrome?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm a Chevy guy so I'll take mine in gold ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot not all handles fit those heads hmmm.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
For further information (and to stop derailing this thread :laugh:), check out Fatip Piccolo Mk1 & Mk2 differences.

Us Piccolo lovers at the PLC wouldn't dream of fitting another handle to our pride and joy!
It wouldn't be a Piccolo any more! :nonod:

Thanks for the link, and since I'll be comparing it directly to the NEW SC when I do get one, this thread isnt completely off the tracks lol.

Not the handle size and/or shape so much that concerns me, but the difference in weight between the Piccolo and the Grande handles. I assume the Grande handle would be similar in size and weight to the common bar handle on my NEW SC, while the Piccolo handle might be slightly heavier.

Not the handle size and/or shape so much that concerns me, but the difference in weight between the Piccolo and the Grande handles. I assume the Grande handle would be similar in size and weight to the common bar handle on my NEW SC, while the Piccolo handle might be slightly heavier.
Beaming up @Raven Koenes who has both. I only have the Piccolo.
Are you there Rave? :001_unsur

Thanks for the link, and since I'll be comparing it directly to the NEW SC when I do get one, this thread isnt completely off the tracks lol.

Get a spare Piccolo handle and tap it to fit the Gillette.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The original handle cannot be improved upon!

I wasnt thinking of any improvements, only options as in different weights. I prefer heavier to lighter, and I prefer gold to nickel, but it seems I cant have both in a single razor! lol

Get a spare Piccolo handle and tap it to fit the Gillette.

Now you have me thinking, I have a Boss razor handle thats a clone of the Sabi long handle. Maybe it would fit them, but I dont have a tap set to check what the threads are but they are larger than the 10/32 Gillette threads.

I have a Boss razor handle thats a clone of the Sabi long handle. Maybe it would fit them, but I dont have a tap set to check what the threads are but they are larger than the 10/32 Gillette threads.
* vintage Gillette - 10-32
* standard modern handle - M5x0.8
* Fatip handle - M4.5x0.7

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think they are for the first 5 threads, then they start to bind but I'm not 100% sure.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hmm. Is the Tech threaded differently than the New? I ask because my Boss Razor handle does fit the Tech fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I just checked and no, mine doesnt fit my Tech either. I believe all Gillette 3 piece razors to be 10/32".

When I ordered that handle from amazon.ca it said it would ship with a DE head, but when I got it, it had a Mach 3 adapter. I got refunded for it but I think if it would have arrived with the DE head, it would have fit the Gillette heads too.

Top Bottom