What's new

My new "Gillette NEW Short Comb" arrived. Yay!

That is generally correct, but sometimes it works just fine. Tolerances and stuff!
Hmmm...
Here's a couple pictures of the Stork m5x0.8 threaded handle with NEW heads. Looks workable.
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG

I just checked and no, mine doesnt fit my Tech either. I believe all Gillette 3 piece razors to be 10/32".

When I ordered that handle from amazon.ca it said it would ship with a DE head, but when I got it, it had a Mach 3 adapter. I got refunded for it but I think if it would have arrived with the DE head, it would have fit the Gillette heads too.
Yup. No problem here. Handle alone is worth twice the $14.99 the razor costs. The head is superb as well. Here's the Tech..
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
are the 10-32 and m5x0.8 compatible? Just started considering an after market handle for a NEW.
They are compatible-ish; M5x0.8 is slightly larger.

Technically, vintage 10-32 handles will not fit modern M5x0.8 heads (too tight). Now throw what I just said out the window because in practical terms, many 10-32 handles are so worn from use that they fit just fine on M5x0.8 heads.

M5x0.8 handles will fit vintage 10-32 heads. It's a slightly sloppy fit, but more than good enough unless your head is super worn and/or you over-tighten.

Modern handles will work in your NEW with one caveat. Some NEW SCs have a narrow flat spot between the bottom baseplate rib that is smaller than the neck on some new aftermarket handles. If that's the case, you'll need to use a little O-ring on the threads below the baseplate.

They are compatible-ish; M5x0.8 is slightly larger.

Technically, vintage 10-32 handles will not fit modern M5x0.8 heads (too tight). Now throw what I just said out the window because in practical terms, many 10-32 handles are so worn from use that they fit just fine on M5x0.8 heads.

M5x0.8 handles will fit vintage 10-32 heads. It's a slightly sloppy fit, but more than good enough unless your head is super worn and/or you over-tighten.

Modern handles will work in your NEW with one caveat. Some NEW SCs have a narrow flat spot between the bottom baseplate rib that is smaller than the neck on some new aftermarket handles. If that's the case, you'll need to use a little O-ring on the threads below the baseplate.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thanks for the link, and since I'll be comparing it directly to the NEW SC when I do get one, this thread isnt completely off the tracks lol.

Not the handle size and/or shape so much that concerns me, but the difference in weight between the Piccolo and the Grande handles. I assume the Grande handle would be similar in size and weight to the common bar handle on my NEW SC, while the Piccolo handle might be slightly heavier.
The Grande is 66 grams and the piccolo 70 Grams. The New Type is 53 grams. The handle size on the Grande is similar in size but not weight to the New Type. I find Gillette handles on the lighter side. The Italian Barber puts the Merkur 34c in at 68 grams. From the look and feel of my Grande weight and balance wise think more 34c as a comparison, although the Grande is much more aggressive razor of course. Even though it has a hollow handle Fatip's use a lot more brass than Gillette...they are brass intensive!

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hmmm, very slight design differences in the cap and the base plate. At first glance I thought they had just milled a bit off the base of the cap, but looking closer the base plate is slightly different as well.

They are Nickel plated, or is that chrome?
I own five Fatip's all new one's (Mk2). I've noted the same kind of variations on the thickness of the base plates on them. Especially between my wood handle ones that weigh in at 62 grams and the Grande/Piccolo. They seem to shave roughly the same though handle differences aside. My Joris on the other hand is machined down much thinner and there is a notable difference. It is more aggressive, but it also weighs in at a 110 grams. That aside Plisson/Joris may still be selling razors with the Mk1 head...not sure?

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the info.

That settles it then as the Grande is even heavier than the SC I'll be more than content with the weight, and I can have it in gold lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thanks for the info.

That settles it then as the Grande is even heavier than the SC I'll be more than content with the weight, and I can have it in gold lol.
Glad I could help! It's a very fine razor and love mine! Enjoy the Gold!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Here are pictures of my Fatip Piccolo head and my Testina Gentile head. I did not use my Grande as it and the Gentile are both chrome. I didn't want to chance getting top caps mixed up. The base plates have exactly the same dimensions and they even up perfectly along with the top caps. It seems both top caps are the standard Mk2 top caps used on all Fatip razors. Conclusion: The Fatip solid bar is the same head as the OC only with a bar instead of a comb, and that some may confuse smoothness with lack of aggressiveness calling the Gentile mild.
001.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
012.JPG

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
...and of course Rigidity!

This is of course so.

I switched from a NEW SC to an OLD couple days ago, and that non-rigid blade was *twanging* as it cut.

Like when kids would put a playing card in the spokes of their bike to make motorcycle sounds. TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-

AA

I switched from a NEW SC to an OLD couple days ago, and that non-rigid blade was *twanging* as it cut.
:001_huh: I'm guessing there must be a problem with your Old Type. Maybe it's a bent baseplate or cap. The Old Type and the NEW SC clamp the blade equally rigidly IME.

Hopefully @rabidus will be able to confirm my experience on the above, or not...

Last edited:
Top Bottom