What's new

My journey

I’m on the last of my preshave product evaluations. The Proraso cream was a bust, and so was the Stirling soap. Neither made a noticeable impact except for adding steps to my morning routine. Today, I get to try out the PAA Cube 2.0 (non-mentholated). I watched a few YouTube reviews of it last night, so I’m definitely excited to experience the so called ‘Epic Slickness’ for myself.
Stay tuned.

Sorry for keeping you in suspense… it’s been a busy day. For today’s shave:

Preshave: Hot shower, followed by the PAA Cube.
Soap: TOBS St Jermyn St
Brush: New PAA Phantom Aerolite 26mm Spectral Synth knot; face lathered.
Razor: Blackland Vector, of course!
Blade: Schick Proline, #3.
Supply Healing AS spray, Coastal.
2-pass shave face WTG/XTG, and neck XTG/ATG.

The Cube lives up to the hype; the shave was smooth and post shave feel slick! Some minor stinging in the neck area, so it definitely does not replace proper technique, but still! Great first impressions, and I’m looking forward to more experience with the product.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

You know how you plan a 2-pass (WTG and XTG) shave but after feeling some residual stubble you get that urge to do a 3rd ATG pass but dread the irritation, yet you do it anyway? That’s been me. I need BBS.

PAA Cube or not, I still get some minor irritation in my neck region, and I think it has to do with… technique.

After mapping my neck, I’ve discovered that my beard grows diagonally from bottom left to top right, which is the exact opposite direction of a comfortable, right-handed shave stroke. All this time, I’ve been using a sharp Proline blade to shave the most sensitive part of my face ATGx2.

So after taking Sunday off, I loaded the Vector with a new Kai Pink, PTFE-coated blade, and this morning mowed down thick stubble while paying careful attention to the direction of my neck strokes: 2 XTG (straight up, then top left to bottom right) and final ATG using the zero pressure. The result was pure BBS, with no AS sting. Bliss!

I’m going to focus on this 3-pass technique using the less sharp Kai blades for the next week. I know I’m sacrificing efficiency, but will be happy if instead I get BBS with no irritation.

Third shave today with the Kai Pink, using hot shower and the Cube for preshaves. The PdP 69 soap was generously loaded onto the Peregrino brush and face lathered. A shallow angle (riding the cap) caused less tugging and compensated for the lack of sharpness. 3-passes. No irritation in the neck with the new shave direction routine. All was going well until I tried a sample of the PAA star jelly aftershave. It contained alcohol and menthol, causing my face to combust. I had to rinse it off with copious amounts of water. Then I applied PdP AS balm and all was well. Luckily no burn scars.

The remaining Star Jelly sample was trashed. I hate menthol. I hate alcohol sting almost as much.

5th use of the Kai Pink. Hot shower preshave, no Cube. Tabac stick, lathered with the Atomic Rocket brush. Steep angle, 2-pass shave, WTG and ATG. Cold water rinse, with that great Tabac post shave feel. DFS result. Minimal sting with the Supply “Crisp” Healing lotion. Overall excellent shave!

Some updates:

1) The PAA cube is causing skin irritation, even before I apply the blade to skin. I can tolerate back to back use, but skin seems to catch fire on third day. It seems I have no luck/success with ANY preshave creams or soaps, and this is not a bad thing… less shave steps.

2) The “Crisp”-scented Supply Healing aftershave lotion stings more than “Coastal”, which is what I had been using so far. The appropriately named “Calm” version doesn’t seem to sting at all, but is also less fragrant. I’m all for a zero sting, zen-like post shave experience, so the “Calm” version may be my new go to aftershave lotion.

3) I’ve switched back to a 3-pass shave, but only for the face/cheeks. Neck remains 2 pass. I’m consistently achieving a DFS+/BBS results, despite now a 9th (!!!) straight use of a single Kai Captain Mild Pink blade. This morning’s results, supplemented by the Calm AS lotion and PdP 63 AS balm was remarkably sublime.

4) Up until now, I had not been able to extend a Schick Proline blade beyond 5 uses, without suffering irritation. Was it the blade, my technique, products, or a combination of all? I suppose I can be scientific about it and switch back to the Proline to find out. Or I can avoid messing with success, sell my remaining lot of blades and buy a lifetime supply of the Kai. What would you do in my position?

What would you do in my position?
It would depend entirely on what stage of interest I was going through in taking up a new hobby. Once the novelty is all gone, I'd probably go with what was proven to work well and become less curious about microscopic improvements.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
4) Up until now, I had not been able to extend a Schick Proline blade beyond 5 uses, without suffering irritation. Was it the blade, my technique, products, or a combination of all? I suppose I can be scientific about it and switch back to the Proline to find out. Or I can avoid messing with success, sell my remaining lot of blades and buy a lifetime supply of the Kai. What would you do in my position?
I would stick with the Kai for a month, maybe two, then try the Proline again.

Preshave: hot shower
Soap: Tabac stick
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Mild Pink (1)
Aftershave: Supply Calm

2-day growth, standard 3-pass shave + touchup, riding the cap on the WTG pass. Instead of a cold water rinse, I wiped off residual foam with my damp shower towel. Excellent, irritation and sting-free, DFS+ result.

Great start to the day!

Blade: Kai Captain Mild Pink (3)
Aftershave: Supply Calm

With the exception of the tiniest weeper on the chin, today’s and yesterday’s shave were again DFS+/near BBS AND sting-free.

I don’t think I’ve ever had three zero-sting shaves in a row.

Blade: Kai Captain Mild Pink (6)
Aftershave: Supply Calm, PdP 63 balm

The the stars must be aligned! Whether it’s the coastal humid air, my laidback beach vacation mindset, the soap, blade, technique, or all of the above, I have achieved, for the 6th day in a row, a DFS+/BBS shave with no irritation or aftershave sting. And today, not even a weeper!

Tomorrow, we drive back home. Will I be able to continue this epic shave streak, despite change in climate, mindset, and soap? A&E Kaizen will be waiting for me when I arrive.

Monday, July 26

Soap: A&E Kaizen
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Blade: Kai Captain Mild Pink (7)
Aftershave: Supply Coastal, AoS Sandalwood balm

2-day growth, mowed down with a 3-pass shave, DFS result, with no irritation or aftershave sting for the 7th day in a row.

A&E Kaizen was a pleasure to use, easy to lather, with multiple different scent notes, bordering on sweet. That said, I would rate it on par will all my other soaps in terms of density of lather, slickness, cushion, and post shave feel, with the exception of Tabac, which beats them all.

Wednesday, July 28

Soap: TOBS Jermyn St
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Blade: Kai Captain Mild Pink (9)
Aftershave: Supply Calm, PdP 63 balm

Another stupendous, sting-free shave, despite 9th use of the blade. Lots of stubble left for the ATG pass, so perhaps it’s losing its edge? I think I’ll bin after 10.

This new shave bowl I picked up from Etsy is such a treat. It’s large and heavy, retains heat, and thanks to the texture makes for copious and rich lather. Just a small scoop of the TOBS cream is enough for 4 or more passes.

proxy.php

This new shave bowl I picked up from Etsy is such a treat. It’s large and heavy, retains heat, and thanks to the texture makes for copious and rich lather. Just a small scoop of the TOBS cream is enough for 4 or more passes.

I love some of these bowls. It's a shame I don't love bowl lathering, lol.

I love some of these bowls. It's a shame I don't love bowl lathering, lol.

I’ve been face lathering for several weeks and I hear you… there are draw backs, including extra clean-up, but the quality of lather - in my experience - is superior when prepared in a bowl.

Top Bottom