What's new

My Guess... 3017

brucered

System Generated
That's kind of the Idea we have over at the soap of the month club.

I thought the SOTM was using a soap for a month then moving on? I think Parjay was asking if anyone has used a soap for a month and not figured it out, kept using it and unlocked the secret to it's lather.

In the SOTM, that would never happen as you switch 01 of every month.

I thought the SOTM was using a soap for a month then moving on? I think Parjay was asking if anyone has used a soap for a month and not figured it out, kept using it and unlocked the secret to it's lather.

In the SOTM, that would never happen as you switch 01 of every month.
Right, but the way I took it, the implication of the question was that needing more than a month did not really ever happen. So the idea at SOTMC is that a month is plenty of time to get the most out of a soap and the you move on and learn the secrets of another soap.

The other way that "That's kind of the idea of the SOTMC" is that we get the benefit of learning a soap 3017 style, without having to use it up in order to move on to another soap.

In my case it's irrelevant, because I pick the same soap every month.:lol:

That's kind of the Idea we have over at the soap of the month club.

That's where I started out, with a bar of Mikes Natural. Turns out, it lasted exactly one month for me. I said to myself "Self, this using up one soap at a time thing ain't that hard, why not try 3017ing, now that you've finished a whole bar start to finish, with no breaks? This is easy! What's next? Oh, The Fat...." And over three months later, I am still 3017ing.

Soap monagamy is a very hard thing to do, even for a month at a time.

brucered

System Generated
Right, but the way I took it, the implication of the question was that needing more than a month did not really ever happen. So the idea at SOTMC is that a month is plenty of time to get the most out of a soap and the you move on and learn the secrets of another soap.

The other way that "That's kind of the idea of the SOTMC" is that we get the benefit of learning a soap 3017 style, without having to use it up in order to move on to another soap.

In my case it's irrelevant, because I pick the same soap every month.:lol:

SOTM is a great idea and one I had thought about doing this year with RR. Heck, if I was to even attempt at a Year of Haslinger, it would pretty much fall in a monthly rotation as that's how long they last for me.

I enjoy the 30 day turn around with soaps.

I have been looking at my RR Classic and it seems that the last little bit is taking forever but I don't think that I will be able to squeak out 13 more shaves. Which leads me to a timing question. I want to start my MdC with everyone else on the Feb 1, but will probably finish the current tub in 5-6 more shaves (the container and soap is less than 30g now). I am unable to finish anything in a week so how to people get the timing right? Do I cheat and start early? or do I open something new and don't 3017 it and switch to MdC on the first of February?

I started using a DE last May and have only had one single cream/soap going at a time (I was 3017 my soaps even before I knew of this thread)

Ruckin.

Ruckin, in those circumstances, I usually pull out a stick and use it for the balance of the period. They often go in the travel kit, anyway, so I'm not 3017ing them in the normal course of things, and they dry back out pretty quickly.

I like soap of the month because you get consistency and variety. If you have a den of elite soaps, you don't have to kill them off start to finish, but you aren't just jumping soaps.

Nice middle ground between 3017 and chaos.

I like soap of the month because you get consistency and variety. If you have a den of elite soaps, you don't have to kill them off start to finish, but you aren't just jumping soaps.

Nice middle ground between 3017 and chaos.
I agree completely. Not sure which camp I'm going to settle into, but I'm here and have lots of product to use so 3017 makes the most sense for now.

I left a little more water than usual in my brush today and had a mountain of lather for a quick 2-pass shave. It really showed off the sudsy bubbles I get when I use too much water to load with, but as I kept lathering on the puck it worked down into nice thick lather that took on the painted water nicely.

It was a perfect day for it too. Since I was running late my 4-1/2 year old daughter was awake and came down to help me with my shave. She likes to rinse out the brush and giggled the whole time. She commented several times that it was okay if she got messy since it was just soap!

I intended to do SOTMC with Body Shop Maca Root, but ended up going start to finish. Got a little bored in December but not too bad.

I may end up doing that with MdC. I'll start it on Feb 1 at least.

The downside would be the 3017 club knows soaps inside and out, so you'd miss out on that interaction.

-----

Shave today with MWF was good. Semgoue 820, face lathered up enough for a good first pass. Added water and worked in a bowl for a good second pass. Re-loaded on the puck and added a bit of water for a good third pass. Touched up an unnecessary fourth pass which led to a couple flea bites. Overkill.

Good lather, but I shouldn't have to re-load a soap for a third pass.

Is that an older formulation of C&E that you're using? I used a puck of the sandalwood a couple of years ago and it was very mediocre. I've read in various threads that C&E was reformulated at one point.

I think this was before a reformulation. Again, I purchased it in 2010. I think there was a different formulation before it was discontinued.

I might have figured something out with MWF. Use LESS product.

MWF makes a ton of foamy bubbles. Working the lather makes the bubbles smaller until it's creamy. Adding water makes it denser and more slick if the bubbles have been worked down. Overloading the brush makes it too difficult to work the bubbles down.

Here's a less than 10 second load on MWF:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421901819.553024.jpg

Working the lather on a wet Palm, it makes bubbles appear. Work the lather in a circular motion and the bubbles get smaller. Here you can see I might have overloaded the brush because there's just a ton of protolather.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421901896.479298.jpg

Next I wet the tips slightly and work the lather. That gives the lather more volume and makes it heavier and slicker.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421902017.363773.jpg

Do the same thing again.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421902031.130628.jpg

Here's the lather. Very creamy, dense and slick.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421902053.949030.jpg

Tomorrow I will try this for real and see how it shaves. But it seems like there's a ton of good lather here.

MWF Code = Unlocked. Congrats Jarick!

I had a fantastic lather this morning too:

$IMAG1114.jpg

And this soap just keeps hanging on. It's getting thin, but it's looked like this for several days.
$IMAG1118.jpg

I said earlier that I wouldn't replace this soap (even if I could) and I think I still feel that way, but I am going to miss it when it's gone.

That's interesting Jarick. Less than a 10 second load would make that puck last a LONG time!

I've fought the foam with MWF before. Now that I have very soft water I'm interested in revisiting it. I love the scent, slickness and especially the post shave. If I could get the cushion/protection up a bit it would be awesome.

I had visited this idea before, but with a wet brush. I dropped it because my lathers were inconsistent. I can see now that it wasn't loading too little product, but a wet brush at the start made it much more guesswork and time consuming. A drier brush seems better.

1. Soak puck and brush
2. Dump excess water off puck and squeeze brush dry
3. Load just the tips of the brush for 5-10 seconds (15-30 swirls)
4. Work the lather until it's completely mixed (creamy)
5. Wet the tips of the brush and work lather, repeating until it looks slick

If the method does prove to be successful (and soap sparing), I will definitely have to move over to soap of the month club. Don't want to be the next Jim working on a soap for 9 months at a time...

Top Bottom