What's new

Muhle Sea Buckthorn Puck Experience and Review

Hi All.

signal-2024-06-06-125349.jpeg
signal-2024-06-06-1253491.jpeg

I picked up Muhle Sea Buckthorn Puck and Post-Shaving Balm. Today was the first time I used it. I wanted to give my thoughts on it as I get a few shaves in. The caveat is this is my first puck, thus my first time loading with a hard soap.

Initial Thoughts

The fragrance is awesome. One of the reasons I chose it is because I was looking for something to pair with summer months. I would say this is a great match for late spring and early summer. I will need to experience middle summer and late summer to get the feel and comment on that. I think it will still be suitable. It has a citrus and flower smell. This is also a very light fragrance so this is a good soap to avoid aggravation for people that have family members with sensitive noses. I'm using Proraso Sandalwood and TOBS Cedarwood for comparison in strength in smell.

Shave Quality

I'm taking this initial thought with a grain of salt on the grounds that it is my first time loading with a hard soap. I used a badger brush and pre-soaked it in warm water. I shook it a few times to knock out the water and loaded the brush. I loaded it for c. 10 seconds, but basically I was trying to capture the same look on the brush as I do with the shaving creams, Proraso and TOBS. That is soap in the tips and brush hairs sort of clumped together. That's what I got with the puck and so I started lathering on my face.

I felt this didn't give me enough soap to build a good lather. I added water, it further expanded, but then it started to dilute. It appeared to be a very thin cover on my face. I started shaving and it also felt like a thin covering. I didn't have the same protection I get with Proraso or TOBS. I had to reload the brush to get a 2nd pass.

I am leaning on the side of user failure for the shave quality over product failure. I'm thinking I might not have loaded the brush long enough to get heavier face lather. Next time I will load longer and share my follow up.

Aesthetics

I have all Muhle hardware products so another reason for choosing the Muhle puck is because it advertises as fitting in my shaving mug. I can confirm that it does. It fits perfectly and looks really cool especially with the Muhle print on top of the puck. I wiped wet finger tips on the bottom of the puck before putting it on, and it didn't move at all while loading. Very pleased with that as far as performance goes.

After Shave Balm

Smells great. It's nice to have the same smell as the soap to keep a consistent light smell. Again, this isn't overpowering either so good for people with sensitive noses. It's been 2.5 hours since I put it on and my face still feels fairly moist. I think more moist than my Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm. I'll follow up with more thoughts on this later.

Welcome to B&B from western North Carolina.
Glad you found their products - everything I have purchased from them is very high quality.
I have used this soap for a number of years and really enjoy it.
Please share more of your journey.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... loaded it for c. 10 seconds ... I am leaning on the side of user failure for the shave quality over product failure. I'm thinking I might not have loaded the brush long enough to get heavier face lather. Next time I will load longer and share my follow up.
Thanks for posting your review. I love that scent, too!
But loading for 10 seconds on a new puck = yep, user failure.
Load it like you hate it, load it some more and then once again.
Don't shake too much water from the brush, just a couple easy dips after immersion.
That soap will improve with several consecutive (and more) uses.
My only complaint is the puck is small and goes away too soon.

Welcome to B&B from western North Carolina.
Glad you found their products - everything I have purchased from them is very high quality.
I have used this soap for a number of years and really enjoy it.
Please share more of your journey.
Thanks!

I agree as far as their hardware goes. I have really enjoyed their performance and style.

I'll keep you posted on experience.

Thank you for your service!!!

Thanks for posting your review. I love that scent, too!
But loading for 10 seconds on a new puck = yep, user failure.
Load it like you hate it, load it some more and then once again.
Don't shake too much water from the brush, just a couple easy dips after immersion.
That soap will improve with several consecutive (and more) uses.
My only complaint is the puck is small and goes away too soon.
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely load it longer next shave (tomorrow).

I was also surprised how small the puck was. I felt like they could have made it a bit thicker so it still fits in the bottom of the mug and lasts longer. How long does it last for you?

I just finished my 2nd shave with the puck. It was definitely an improvement, but I still feel like I can load it longer. I got maybe 30 to 40 seconds out of it. Hard to tell, I wasn't clocking it.

The reason I think I could have loaded more is because I still felt like the lather wasn't thick enough. It was way more thick than the first time. There was also residual cream after the first pass which was positive. I did feel the protection improved substantially, but still a bit lacking compared to TOBS or Proraso. Next time I plan to load even longer. One last critique on user failure is that I forgot @nemo 's advice and shook the brush once too many times. I had to dip the tips in my soaking mug to agitate the puck more.

I want to note that I easily got two passes out of it and didn't need to load the brush a 2nd time. There probably was enough left over for a 3rd pass, but I did half a pass on the 3rd round, just cheeks. Then I used the left overs to wash my face as I usually do.

I enjoyed it a lot more this time and can see the potential for the puck, but I need to work on my technique to unlock its potential.

No additional comments on the balm other than I enjoy the smell and still want to give it a couple more runs before further comments.

Thanks guys for the advice and support.

I just finished my 2nd shave with the puck. It was definitely an improvement, but I still feel like I can load it longer. I got maybe 30 to 40 seconds out of it. Hard to tell, I wasn't clocking it.

The reason I think I could have loaded more is because I still felt like the lather wasn't thick enough. It was way more thick than the first time. There was also residual cream after the first pass which was positive. I did feel the protection improved substantially, but still a bit lacking compared to TOBS or Proraso. Next time I plan to load even longer. One last critique on user failure is that I forgot @nemo 's advice and shook the brush once too many times. I had to dip the tips in my soaking mug to agitate the puck more.

I want to note that I easily got two passes out of it and didn't need to load the brush a 2nd time. There probably was enough left over for a 3rd pass, but I did half a pass on the 3rd round, just cheeks. Then I used the left overs to wash my face as I usually do.

I enjoyed it a lot more this time and can see the potential for the puck, but I need to work on my technique to unlock its potential.

No additional comments on the balm other than I enjoy the smell and still want to give it a couple more runs before further comments.

Thanks guys for the advice and support.
In my limited experience, it seems that each soap/cream needs a specific amount of water to reach optimum lather - each is different.

Other members here have said to "practice" just making a lather not for shaving. Add water in small amounts and keep working the lather - until it is too wet to effectively use for shaving. If you track the amount of water you used in the practice, it should give you a baseline of what to do when you are ready to shave.

Hang in, practice makes better and more pleasant shaves.

Okay, I think I got it down for the most part. Still need to maybe work with the water a bit more, but for the most part I am building a great lather.

As mentioned by some of you, it has gotten much easier load after the 1st and 2nd use. I have had maybe two or three shaves since the last post and I am building a solid lather after loading from the puck. The brush loads a lot faster as well. I don't shake the brush too much, just let it drip out the excess.

I still need a few more shaves to get a good read on it. I still feel like the protection is not as solid as TOBS and Proraso, but I was so focused on the lather that I haven't really paid much attention to the cream.

Follow up review on the balm. It's good stuff. My face feels great many hours after use. It's expensive, but I believe the quality is there. I would likely pay up for it again.

I bloom mine with hot water while I slower, then squeeze my brush and shake it out, then load lots of soap on my brush, then face lather adding drops of water to the center of my brush until it’s where I like it. I’m using a muhle stf brush and I get very protective / creamy lather every time. I use their sticks too when I travel the same way. The pucks last me a really long time too. I used to use a wet brush but it was messy and I needed more protection from the soap.

Top Bottom