What's new

My Guess... 3017

First impressions of DR Harris Windsor are a surprisingly strong scent and same very good DRH performance.

Will let it air out for a couple of weeks between shaves and revisit.

The Windsor scent mellowed after a couple of days. Nice scent, nice soap. Consistent, great shaves. For me a synthetic brush adds a star to the performance of many soaps. Having fun using the beechwood DRH bowl and making a mess while loading.

WCS Pear-Brrr

Almost

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
The Windsor scent mellowed after a couple of days. Nice scent, nice soap. Consistent, great shaves. For me a synthetic brush adds a star to the performance of many soaps. Having fun using the beechwood DRH bowl and making a mess while loading.

I like the Windsor scent a lot, more even than Arlington, but not as much as Almond.

5FE3B662-BF2A-4FCE-8B56-6FC70F7F268D.jpeg
AB6B2765-1EFE-48E1-BB6E-C1F43692AAC7.jpeg

Same great wet, slick lather at the bottom of the Speick tube. I may have used creams that provide more cushion, but tube creams don’t get much better. Although I enjoyed the herbal scent, this is its weakest point for me. I have 2 more tubes, but I won’t be using either anytime soon. Proraso White tomorrow.

Last edited:
This year’s products:
Rio Sul cream
La Toja stick
ABB Principe Real cream
Speick cream
Proraso Sensitive tub
And I might get into another product mid-December. It will probably be a Portuguese cream like O Melhor or Estoril.

First shave with Proraso Sensitive (White). I did not load enough. Needed to reload for the second pass. This is user error coming from creams and a shaving stick in the last 6 months. Light fresh scent. Some citrus? Very pleasant. There does seem to be some menthol or Eucalyptus type tingle there. The cooling is nice as it is still pretty warm in FL. Fair residual slickness, but I'll see if that improves with more loading. Finished with Portugal Water from 4711 as moisturizing also seems fair. Only $4 for the tub, so, I'm thinking it is going to wind up a winner despite its shortcomings after the first shave.

Oh, and white could refer to the post shave residue on the razor!

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20201015_200652.jpg

Finished a tube of Proraso green, some great shaves, but now it's gone I need to move on.
IMG_20201015_201650.jpg

This time to a Palmolive stick. I was never able to get a good lather from this until I crushed it into a dip bowl

First shave with Proraso Sensitive (White). I did not load enough. Needed to reload for the second pass. This is user error coming from creams and a shaving stick in the last 6 months. Light fresh scent. Some citrus? Very pleasant. There does seem to be some menthol or Eucalyptus type tingle there. The cooling is nice as it is still pretty warm in FL. Fair residual slickness, but I'll see if that improves with more loading. Finished with Portugal Water from 4711 as moisturizing also seems fair. Only $4 for the tub, so, I'm thinking it is going to wind up a winner despite its shortcomings after the first shave.

Oh, and white could refer to the post shave residue on the razor!

all your assessments are correct. Proraso white (not the new super formula, which seems to be a little different) has a little lime, a little menthol, and it does leave residue all over the place.

Finished off T&H 1805 today. It's a good cream with a fantastic aquatic scent. With most soaps I add plenty of water to maximize slickness when using a straight razor. With T&H 1805, I found it lacked protection if I added too much water. I did not add so much that it looked thin. The lather would look great, nice and shiny, but no protection.

Undecided on what to use next. I'm thinking DRH Lavender soap, CRSW Glide Lavender, or AOS Sandalwood tallow.

Looking back at this year, I believe I've finished off 5 soaps/creams. Not too shabby.
20201015_093215.jpg

all your assessments are correct. Proraso white (not the new super formula, which seems to be a little different) has a little lime, a little menthol, and it does leave residue all over the place.
Thanks for your feedback. I don’t see this product discussed often and I wasn’t aware that there is a new formula!

Finished off T&H 1805 today. It's a good cream with a fantastic aquatic scent. With most soaps I add plenty of water to maximize slickness when using a straight razor. With T&H 1805, I found it lacked protection if I added too much water. I did not add so much that it looked thin. The lather would look great, nice and shiny, but no protection.

Undecided on what to use next. I'm thinking DRH Lavender soap, CRSW Glide Lavender, or AOS Sandalwood tallow.

Looking back at this year, I believe I've finished off 5 soaps/creams. Not too shabby.
View attachment 1169093
Nice kill! Loved this tub!

TOBs grapefruit is a few weeks in and I’m getting great results. The scent is perfect to me, very natural, and it is as slick and protective as i need. I am a fan of proraso and it’s maybe a hair below that but that’s being super picky.

The second shave with Proraso white, with more than adequate loading I am sure, produced pretty much the same result. I just didn’t have to reload between passes. I’ll check back in in a couple of months…

I have been getting great shaves with my vintage can of Colgate Aloe. But I've missed the variety of using whatever I want whenever I want, so I'm not going to continue with trying to use things up start to finish. It is just so much more enjoyable for me to never know what I'm going to use until I'm ready to shave.

Top Bottom