What's new

My Guess... 3017

I was working around a huge hole in the bottom of my tub of GD Mallard Chai so I scraped the sides down and mounded it all in the middle. Probably another week or 2. It was really soft so I'm going to leave the lid off from now on. Guessing I'll get 5-6 weeks out of it which is about right for artisan tubs with me.

Two and a half months of Rio Sul and this is what is left. I expelled a bit of air from the tube yesterday and today, but it looks like close to three months of shaves are in a tube.
12E0FA08-11D6-4FD9-AA0B-583D9E31CE26.jpeg

Not exactly maintaining 3017 discipline to the letter, but I'm having fun alternating every day between a tube of Palmolive Lather (the OOP white and red tube) and a stick or Arko. I guess I'll use this combo till they are done.

Gentlemen, I am about halfway through the bowl of Núavia Rosso. Started in July last, loading with silvertip. I shave 3-5 times a week and there was an occasional week off once or twice, say one month off in total.
Talking about cost-per-shave...:yesnod:

Not exactly maintaining 3017 discipline to the letter, but I'm having fun alternating every day between a tube of Palmolive Lather (the OOP white and red tube) and a stick or Arko. I guess I'll use this combo till they are done.

nothing wrong with a little social distancing from the current 3017 steady. I just did it to PdP last week with a Lea stick.

Hey guys, I’ve been gone for a minute, so I figured I’d check in. Since October I’ve killed a puck of Tabac and a bowl of Proraso Red. A tub of AOS Oud is on the clock. I’m surprised at how good it
Is since the veg hard soap is so meh. This leaves me with 2 soaps left after the cream. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I’ve been gone for a minute, so I figured I’d check in. Since October I’ve killed a puck of Tabac and a bowl of Proraso Red. A tub of AOS Oud is on the clock. I’m surprised at how good it
Is since the veg hard soap is so meh. This leaves me with 2 soaps left after the cream. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom! Great job getting it done.

Finally the IanS bit the dust. Great soap, best orange scent I've had, makes a top notch lather, but is made no more.
Was pondering what to start when I came across a big, forgotten tube of Godrej. Will work my way through this. First impressions were that it lathered up a treat, and I quite like the lanolin. Makes post shave feel good, but head a touch clammy.

Just emptied my bowl with half a slice of Vitos con coco soap. What can I say - it was very good start to finish. The light scent is nice, less dominant than Cella, and a purer almond scent. Cella reminds me of cherry taste bubblegum lollipops.

Performance was very good. Glad I got a whole brick.

No decisions yet about what to finish next.

Stay home as much as you can and stay healthy! Good luck and best wishes from an European ultra-high risk region to all of you.

Been a while since I've posted anything.

Recently been working on Dr K lime soap and its set to be the first one I've finished. I wasn't planning on doing it this early but this one was stored just in the paper wrap it came in and when I was sorting through my soap I noticed it wasn't storing well!

The performance has been fantastic for me, very easy to lather with lots of cushion and slickness. doesn't seem to be fussy about amount of water either, I can run it dry or wet. I seem to remember it having a light scent of lime when I got it, however its now unscented.

From the start I'd been using a consistent 1g of soap a shave using my 24mm razorock synthetic brush. I've now switched to my synthetic 21mm from Edwin Jagger since the soaps a lot smaller to load from and loading less than 1g per shave without a drop in performance.

Definitely on my rebuy list when I get there, but for now, I've still got 11g left to enjoy.

Polished off the Grooming Dept. Mallard Chai today. I used my Semogue SOC boar brush this week and that chewed through the last bit remarkably fast. If I remember when I started I think I got 4 weeks of daily usage give or take a few days.

Top notch soap in most regards. The lather was so buttery rich it actually resembled whipped cream most days. It was like shaving with moisturizing cream. Post shave was superb. Ease of lather was excellent. Scent was just the right strength. Where it wasn't at the absolute top of performance for me was in protection and slickness. Zero residual slickness. Straight shaving was brutal as there just wasn't any real glide so I abandoned that. If post shave is what you crave, this is at the top of the list.

Up next is going to be the lovely Haslinger tallow honey. Gonna use my father in law's old spice mug for this one as the haslinger pucks and the OS mug seem to be made for each other.

Been using MWF for about a week and I am retracting any negative comments I may have said previously, this is a great soap. I gave up on a puck back in 2016 but time passes, technique improves(?) and I am not using it once every 3 months so I'm giving it a better chance and its delivering.

I've use a 28mm Silksmoke synthetic knot a lot and its been foolproof. I'll probably rotate some other brushes in but its working so well it may take some time to break up this combo.

Been using MWF for about a week and I am retracting any negative comments I may have said previously, this is a great soap. I gave up on a puck back in 2016 but time passes, technique improves(?) and I am not using it once every 3 months so I'm giving it a better chance and its delivering.

I've use a 28mm Silksmoke synthetic knot a lot and its been foolproof. I'll probably rotate some other brushes in but its working so well it may take some time to break up this combo.

I agree, MWF is a fantastic soap. It shines when used every day.

SWMBO is on the front lines of the virus situation as an emergency room care provider at a large metropolitan hospital. She is an experienced professional and her and her team know what they are doing. Nevertheless, as the spouse of a front line combatant I was asked to work from home until this scare blows over. Which I have been doing for the past week and expect to continue to for some time to come. How does this relate to shaving you may ask? Well, throughout this grim situation we must each find our own solace. I find mine in spending time in the outdoors as I am blessed to live in an area with many opportunities for outdoors recreation. I also have spent more time shaving.

Not just any old shaving mind you. While sticking true to my current 3017 project, a tube of Trumpers Limes cream, I am using some of the home bound time to revisit some hardware I havent used in ages. I am currently using a 1966 Slim, and various brushes both synthetic and natural. I also ordered a new brush, one of the new Simpson budget synthetics the Trafalgar. It should arrive next week and I am looking forward to giving it a go. I also have my eye on a shavemac synthetic. Once the Trumpers is gone I may gravitate back to triple-milled soaps and I'd like to see how the various synthetic fiber offerings handle the task.

Unsurprising to most in this forum, Trumpers Limes cream continues to provide excellent shaves and its consistent yield of high quality lathers allows me to fearlessly wade through hardware I haven't used in years.

Continue enjoying those shaves gentlemen. Once the social distancing practice can be safely set aside please shake the hand of the nearest emergency responder and/or caregiver. Being married to one I can assure you, they've earned it.

Cheers!

That sounds great!

It was! Finished off wish Soap Commander Confidence (honey/musk/patchouli) this morning. Those little pucks are just the business. Barely existent scent, but pleasant enough. Lather unctuous, rich, slick and protective.

I'm also working from home until further notice. As far as changing routine - I can use whatever aftershave I want at home. I try to stick with unscented or very mildly scented when I go into the office. At home, I can use whatever. I also straight shave more since I'm not spending 45 minutes in traffic. I have some more time. Time of day and frequency does not change.

It was! Finished off wish Soap Commander Confidence (honey/musk/patchouli) this morning. Those little pucks are just the business. Barely existent scent, but pleasant enough. Lather unctuous, rich, slick and protective.

I'm also working from home until further notice. As far as changing routine - I can use whatever aftershave I want at home. I try to stick with unscented or very mildly scented when I go into the office. At home, I can use whatever. I also straight shave more since I'm not spending 45 minutes in traffic. I have some more time. Time of day and frequency does not change.

Yep, I too am careful when I go to the office not to be ”that guy” with too much cologne. Now with SWMBO working long hours I’m also revisiting some aftershaves I got away from because they were just too strong. It’s just me in the house so I’m slathering some classic old splashes on just because I can.

I guess we are just making lemon aid out of lemons. :001_cool:

edit...the Simpson brush arrived today, it’s on deck for the next shave.

The past month or so with A&E L'Orange Verte has gone pretty well. The ring around the bottom of the tub is shrinking though and I'd guess I've got less than a week left. I've been using Fine L'Orange Noir with it and I'll probably run out of that slightly before the soap gives out.

Never underestimate the value of experience. My second run through with a soap (including MWF) has almost always been better. It was ME not the soap. Except for Captain Fawcett’s. That was horrible.

SWMBO is on the front lines of the virus situation as an emergency room care provider at a large metropolitan hospital. She is an experienced professional and her and her team know what they are doing. Nevertheless, as the spouse of a front line combatant I was asked to work from home until this scare blows over. Which I have been doing for the past week and expect to continue to for some time to come. How does this relate to shaving you may ask? Well, throughout this grim situation we must each find our own solace. I find mine in spending time in the outdoors as I am blessed to live in an area with many opportunities for outdoors recreation. I also have spent more time shaving.

Not just any old shaving mind you. While sticking true to my current 3017 project, a tube of Trumpers Limes cream, I am using some of the home bound time to revisit some hardware I havent used in ages. I am currently using a 1966 Slim, and various brushes both synthetic and natural. I also ordered a new brush, one of the new Simpson budget synthetics the Trafalgar. It should arrive next week and I am looking forward to giving it a go. I also have my eye on a shavemac synthetic. Once the Trumpers is gone I may gravitate back to triple-milled soaps and I'd like to see how the various synthetic fiber offerings handle the task.

Unsurprising to most in this forum, Trumpers Limes cream continues to provide excellent shaves and its consistent yield of high quality lathers allows me to fearlessly wade through hardware I haven't used in years.

Continue enjoying those shaves gentlemen. Once the social distancing practice can be safely set aside please shake the hand of the nearest emergency responder and/or caregiver. Being married to one I can assure you, they've earned it.

Cheers!

May you and your bride stay happy and healthy.

And a huge +1 for Trumper creams. They’re as good as anything you can find.

Top Bottom