What's new

My Guess... 3017

It was! Finished off wish Soap Commander Confidence (honey/musk/patchouli) this morning. Those little pucks are just the business. Barely existent scent, but pleasant enough. Lather unctuous, rich, slick and protective.

I'm also working from home until further notice. As far as changing routine - I can use whatever aftershave I want at home. I try to stick with unscented or very mildly scented when I go into the office. At home, I can use whatever. I also straight shave more since I'm not spending 45 minutes in traffic. I have some more time. Time of day and frequency does not change.

It’s time to break out the bottle of Sex Panther.

I’m giving up on Speick. Have been struggling with redness and soreness which is rare for me. A couple days ago I had something come up and left lather on my face longer than normal. The redness and burning was exactly the shape of the lather for the rest of the day. Did a couple of Palmolive Cream control shaves after that. All good. The only other soap that has ever bothered me was Gold Dachs and it was not as severe. A shame as Speick performs great and is a good value.

194FAE05-5FDA-497A-8DDC-56B0E36D0252.jpeg

Last edited:
On deck is a NOS puck of Art of Shaving tallow sandalwood.
B0CC3F84-A0C2-4ACA-A1A8-0B9D31F48972.jpeg

Hey guys, I’ve been gone for a minute, so I figured I’d check in. Since October I’ve killed a puck of ...

Me too, except that in that time have been working on a puck of Provence Sante Green Tea soap. Fine soap, that! I finished it off last week after 158 shaves. Actually, there was a 10 gram chunk left, which I consigned to my "Mutt Soap" tub because I was tired of the extra time it took to load my brush from such a small surface area. But I hate to waste remnants, hence the Mutt Soap tub. I've been working on the Mutt Soap tub for the last week. Looking back, the last puck of soap I 3017'd and consigned to the Mutt Soap bin last October was vintage Old Spice, so the PGST remnant is in good company.

When I'm ready to move on, I have a puck of vintage Franklin Barbershop tallow soap on deck in a vintage Franklin Barbershop mug. I found the vintage mug in the coffee mug section of a thrift store for under $1. It's a nice big puck, about 3.5" broad, and a nice big pottery mug. The soap box says 3.5 ounces. I have 32 shaves on it so far and plan to 3017 the rest of it. I still have another puck of it IOB in reserve.

Me too, except that in that time have been working on a puck of Provence Sante Green Tea soap. Fine soap, that! I finished it off last week after 158 shaves. Actually, there was a 10 gram chunk left, which I consigned to my "Mutt Soap" tub because I was tired of the extra time it took to load my brush from such a small surface area. But I hate to waste remnants, hence the Mutt Soap tub. I've been working on the Mutt Soap tub for the last week. Looking back, the last puck of soap I 3017'd and consigned to the Mutt Soap bin last October was vintage Old Spice, so the PGST remnant is in good company.

Nice finish! PSGT is one of my favorite soaps. WCS was selling it for $5/puck several years ago and I wish I would have stocked up.

edit...the Simpson brush arrived today, it’s on deck for the next shave.

The Simpson Trafalgar is an interesting brush. I’m not prepared to rank it after only one shave, but I quite like it. Denser and more backbone than a Pillson , but not as dense as the Chubby 2. It fills the gap nicely. I’m curious to see how it handles triple milled soaps.

I really liked it when I first tried it. I tend to like vanilla scents. The soap has lanolin and that's why I used it through the winter. After a while I was starting to not like the lanolin every day and I seemed to get nose blind to the scent. I did use it every day since Jan 1 missing only three shaves. I probably had 1/4 tub left when I started.

View attachment 1077051

You're in for a good ride there! I just finished one. One of the best.

I've been back to regular shaving for a month now... opposed to the neck and cheek cleaning while I had my beard. Tabac is still going strong and I'm really enjoying it.

Before I returned to regular shave I was making decent headway into the puck. Once I "restarted" the soap grew to the point I thought it might outgrow the dish. It reminded me of an old post outlining to stages of Tabac and I had to find for a repost. I'm appearently still stage #2 nearing stage #3.

Don't be disparaged. Tabac goes in 6 stages, sounds like you are entering stage 4.

1. You use a little and you can see you are making an impact.

2. The puck starts to grow inexplicably and day after day you see that you have more soap than you started with.

3. The pucks begins to rapidly depreciate and you notice that you are making some serious headway.

4. Stagnation, for about 10 shaves there is absolutely no change in the amount of soap you have.

5. The puck begins to give way by means of morphing – this can either be by taking on the form of a cream, or simply by breaking into multiple pieces (as if to initiate mitosis).

6. You finally gain the confidence to slowly kill the puck. This only takes about a week.

I've been back to regular shaving for a month now... opposed to the neck and cheek cleaning while I had my beard. Tabac is still going strong and I'm really enjoying it.

Before I returned to regular shave I was making decent headway into the puck. Once I "restarted" the soap grew to the point I thought it might outgrow the dish. It reminded me of an old post outlining to stages of Tabac and I had to find for a repost. I'm appearently still stage #2 nearing stage #3.

Pretty well sums up my experience with most triple milled.

When I'm ready to move on, I have a puck of vintage Franklin Barbershop tallow soap on deck in a vintage Franklin Barbershop mug. I found the vintage mug in the coffee mug section of a thrift store for under $1. It's a nice big puck, about 3.5" broad, and a nice big pottery mug. The soap box says 3.5 ounces. I have 32 shaves on it so far and plan to 3017 the rest of it. I still have another puck of it IOB in reserve.
The Barbershop Tallow Soap is good soap. I still have my brush, mug, stand, and soap dish, that I recieved as a Christmas gift back in 1980 when I was a sophomore in high school.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I took a short break from 3017 Trumpers cream to try out the new brush on a triple milled soap so, I used MdC the last couple shaves. The Simpson Trafalgar is one heckuva nice brush, especially considering the price. 2 thumbs up.

Back to Trumpers tomorrow.

I've been working on a puck of DR Harris Arlington for over a year. It's been a decent soap and I like the smell. But man it just lasts forever and the lather is hit or miss. It's not a slick and thick lather but more airy and dry. I have the matching lotion as well which is almost gone.

Excellent soap, and coincidentally I just grated mine and pressed into my favorite dish last week (I had half a puck remaining). It is SO MUCH BETTER than DR Harris. My brush loads up quicker, the lather starts out a lot thicker, and the shaves are great.

So I think I'll likely toss the rest of the Harris soap and aftershave rather than have another few weeks of chasing the ring around the bowl and not loving the shaves.

The Barbershop Tallow Soap is good soap. I still have my brush, mug, stand, and soap dish, that I recieved as a Christmas gift back in 1980 when I was a sophomore in high school.

Clayton

Two days now on the vintage Franklin Barbershop tallow soap, and it is indeed a good soap. A very good soap. The lather is rich and creamy and easy to build. Very nice.

strop

Now half as wise
I've been working on a puck of DR Harris Arlington for over a year. It's been a decent soap and I like the smell. But man it just lasts forever and the lather is hit or miss. It's not a slick and thick lather but more airy and dry. I have the matching lotion as well which is almost gone.

Excellent soap, and coincidentally I just grated mine and pressed into my favorite dish last week (I had half a puck remaining). It is SO MUCH BETTER than DR Harris. My brush loads up quicker, the lather starts out a lot thicker, and the shaves are great.

So I think I'll likely toss the rest of the Harris soap and aftershave rather than have another few weeks of chasing the ring around the bowl and not loving the shaves.

Try grating the rest of the Harris into the bowl before giving up on it. I find that a lot of soaps are easier to load this way, and fixes the light and airy problem.

The Mennen skin bracer is done. Up next is a 1/3rd of a bottle of Alt Innsbruck. I bought this in 2013 when I joined this site and it has remained one of my favorites. I like the camphor so should pair well with the Proraso green I’m currently using.

7BCB4D51-E10D-4E20-A3A9-94A39CDBAF47.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have been 3017’ing soap product now for several years trying to get down to a minimalist approach with my shaving soaps.

I am a very seasonal guy and only need/want 3 soaps. Proraso for Summer, Haslinger Schafmilch for Winter and La Toja for Spring/Fall.

To get there, I have finished a puck of Williams, Loccitane Cade, several sticks of Arko and a bowl of Tabac plus a tube here and a jar there of some type of cream and finally celebrated the end of 3017’ing and the start of using my 3 soaps seasonally.

Well, I was organizing some aftershaves I had stored away and what did I find? A lost and misplaced extra puck Of Loccitane Cade and 250 grams of a forgotten 500 grams of Klar Kabinett!

Klar Kabinett is a great performing, Rose scented soap, so I am back to 3017’ing for the unforeseen future.

So now instead of LaToja being my Fall and Spring soap, it now will be just spring while the Cade will take the Fall/Autumn spot until it’s gone. Cade is such a hard soap to get thru, I’m sure it will take quite a few years before I see the end of this puck.

And I guess I’ll use Proraso on the really hot days of Summer and the Rose scented Klar Kabinett will share the spring with La Toja and the not so hot days of Summer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom