What's new

My Guess... 3017

Barrister and Mann Bay Rum still moving along nicely. 15 shaves done and i expect to break through this week.

I will be putting this one on hold however, to participate in an Australian APRil month, then back onto B&M until done.

It’s been a rough week dialing in ABC. First several shaves have been super close and bloody. Things are getting better, still close shaves and a little more protection. My suspicion is that the puck is hydrating. Lazy technique from a couple months of Czech and Speake is also likely.

Finally getting ABC dialed in. The puck has hydrated a lot. It has to weigh 2x or more what it did when I started. Using more water and getting very good shaves.

I'm still (happily!) working through my P.160!

How long has it been, 2 years?
I have a brick of cella I need to get to sometime.

I’ve finished the 1805. Great cream. Am craving some menthol. Proraso green and Valobra menthol are what I have, but there’s a Wilkinson sword stick that I’ve got and not tried yet. I remember @snowman saying it was good.

strop

Now half as wise
Broke thru the bottom of the puck of Bayolea today. Almost 2 months of use, and probably that much more to go. I have been loading very heavily, more than almost any other soap I've used. Doesn't matter, though, because I won't be sad to see it go. Won't be replaced.

I'm estimating I've used 1/8" of the home-made soap in my twist-up tube in about 30 shaves. If this is true, I should finally use it up around Christmas.....

Fortunately I really like it. Just the right amount of scent (meaning I can barely smell it) and very nice and slick. Not quite as good as the tallow based soaps I've made, but better than anything I've tried other than Haslingers.

Broke thru the bottom of the puck of Bayolea today. Almost 2 months of use, and probably that much more to go. I have been loading very heavily, more than almost any other soap I've used. Doesn't matter, though, because I won't be sad to see it go. Won't be replaced.

Is the scent nice, Mark?

That’s some dedication there rockviper.

I went with the Wilkinson stick and wasn’t disappointed. Very slick lather and lovely scent. Paired it with Indian bio grass aftershave balm for some cooling. Great shave.

Checking in with a breakthrough in a puck of DRH Arlington at 160 shaves. The hole is about 1 cm across, or a little more than a quarter of an inch. Plenty of life left in this puck. DRH Arlington is a very fine soap.

I'm calling it. I finished CRSW Barbiere Sapone. Today I struggled to load enough. I will not order this soap again. It gave me a little irritation. Extremely mild and only detectable on the second and third pass. I usually will not tolerate any irritation, but this one was barely noticeable.

Not sure want to use next. In mind are T&H 1805 cream, CF Lavender, or GFT Violet soap.

20190328_145038.jpg

How long has it been, 2 years?
I have a brick of cella I need to get to sometime.

I’ve finished the 1805. Great cream. Am craving some menthol. Proraso green and Valobra menthol are what I have, but there’s a Wilkinson sword stick that I’ve got and not tried yet. I remember @snowman saying it was good.

The little blue Wilkie stick is great. Its been a couple years since I 3017'd one, but as I recall its a tallow based soap. Scent is very nice. An all-around winner. I would strongly recommend it and for the life of me dont understand why it doesnt get the same attention on B&B as Arko. Maybe availability makes the difference. I think you will enjoy it Sir. Best of luck!

As far as my 3017 effort is concerned I am loving the AoS tallow. The lavender scent is holding strong and I'm not tired of it after 7 months. It is disappearing quickly now. I'm not going to hazard a guess as to how many shaves are left. Quite a few I suspect.

I realized this morning that I've actually been doing two 3017's at the same time...if thats possible. You see, I have an IV bag of Proraso Single Edge Azur Lime that has been my travel companion since last June. I've had a travel heavy schedule the past year and it seems both the AoS soap which I started in August, and the Proraso cream are being used at almost the same rate. Both products are approaching the end of their useful lives.

I have to say its been a great run switching between the two. Both are absolutely top notch products. Of course AoS tallow is discontinued, but Proraso Single Edge ( or is it Single Blade?) is newish and hopefully will be available for years to come. Considering what a stellar performer AoS tallow is, I never once missed it when I switched to Proraso while traveling. I think that speaks very well of Prorasos new cream. I've used it both brushless and with a brush and it worked fine either way.

Despite these great products, I'm finding myself pondering what to use when they are gone. The recent talk of shave sticks had me looking at the stash. I have a stick of SIM and Palmolive, both unmolested. I may replace the Proraso with one of the sticks for traveling.

Cheers!

Top Bottom