What's new

My first run with a R41 — the real deal!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like this razor even more after I replaced the Top Cap on my 2011 edition with the improved 2013. Took care of all that blade exposure and dangers of a serious cut. Blade chatter gone too! What remains is the 2011 base plate, and get the more aggressive shaving performance of the original razor, sans the blade issues. I do however, use the stock 2013 R41 more often since I usually don't need a super long lasting shave.
Try the RazoRock SLOC and/or Yintal Brass caps on your R41. Great Frankenrazors that, in my opinion, elevate the R41 a couple of notches in smoothness and overall effectiveness. :)

Frankenrazor SLOC/R41:
20220621_152819~2.jpg

Frankenrazor YintalBrass/R41:
20220611_093333~2.jpg

Deceptively designed the R41 gives you the impression that there is not much blade feel because the blade is almost entirely covered (like the Henson). But once you start the shave you immediately know the blade is there - tons of blade feel. Yet never harsh or the feeling of scraping.

That's apparently the secret of the R41's design. It is deceptive it its looks, like how it departs from the R89 design with a larger apparent blade gap.

It really doesn't appear threatening by its looks, only by its reputation. So you approach it with the most sincere caution.

When you start to shave with it, you become immediately aware of the blade feel against your face. Right from the start, you realize how good this is, because it places you in complete control of the shave.

All I can say is that I like heavier handles and preferably stainless steel ones.

I tend to like at least medium size SS handles also. But, the smaller handles work well for me too.

I bought my R41 as a head only, from Amazon for $25 and use it with a variety of handles.

I came, I saw and I conquered. The R41 is a great razor, suited even for newbies. Just go slow and easy does it. An excellent extension of my collection.

That is ever so true. After a newbie masters the basics of DE shaving and is comfortable, there really is no reason not to try a R41. If they already have a standard three piece razor, they can move to a R41 experience for only $25!

Only issue with R41 I have is that there is usually almmost nothing to shave next day

That was my experience too. Almost could go without shaving and still have a BBS day (or at least a decent part of it).

And this BBS is glassy! I have had amazing BBSs before...

The glassy/marble feeling of the skin after a shave with the R41, almost an exfoliation, is indeed the hallmark of the real deal.

Yes, having a BBS shave is very nice and obtainable with DE shaving gear.

But after shaving with the R41 and your face feels like glass or marble, things move up to yet another level. It's like being an adult and yet never having to have shaved before, like when I was a ten year old.

Quite a revelation!

Top Bottom