What's new

My first run with a R41 — the real deal!

Earlier this month I mentioned I was gifted or PIFfed a R41 head to try out and see if I liked it enough (My first run using a R41 -- clone? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-first-run-using-a-r41-clone.626506/)

After initial inspections I noticed QC issues and soon I reached the conclusion this was a clone head rather than a real R41 (to no failure of the gifter by the way. He never said it was a real Mühle, he simply stated if you want to have the experience like a test drive try this).

First I used the baseplate with remaining parts from my KCG razor effectively turning it into an even more aggressive razor it already is (similar to the 2009 or 2011 versions if I understand correctly).

Shave was decent and hard but super efficient.

Second shave I managed to use the supplied cap which turned the blade gap into overdrive resulting in my worst shave to date - way worse than my first ever DE shave in December 2021. My skin is still recovering!

After the mrs saw me emerge from the bathroom she immediately said: ditch the thing! But I did like the first experience enough to not dismiss the R41 all together. So went online to my regular webshop and bought a Mühle replacement head.

It arrived this morning and I have mounted it on my spare Razorine 72 handle:

6AE7E00A-559E-48D1-BE03-F97B13D038B2.jpeg

I will shave with it this weekend and report my experience (also in comparison to the cloned version).

Best,

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Earlier this month I mentioned I was gifted or PIFfed a R41 head to try out and see if I liked it enough (My first run using a R41 -- clone? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-first-run-using-a-r41-clone.626506/)

After initial inspections I noticed QC issues and soon I reached the conclusion this was a clone head rather than a real R41 (to no failure of the gifter by the way. He never said it was a real Mühle, he simply stated if you want to have the experience like a test drive try this).

First I used the baseplate with remaining parts from my KCG razor effectively turning it into an even more aggressive razor it already is (similar to the 2009 or 2011 versions if I understand correctly).

Second shave I managed to use the supplied cap which turned the blade gap into overdrive resulting in my worst shave to date - way worse than my first ever DE shave in December 2021. My skin is still recovering!

After the mrs saw me emerge from the bathroom she immediately said: ditch the thing! But I did like the first experience enough to not dismiss the R41 all together. So went online to my regular webshop and bought a Mühle replacement head.

View attachment 1484102

I will shave with it this weekend and report my experience (also in comparison to the cloned version).

Best,

Guido
Eagerly awaiting your shaving impressions. :)

I won a giveaway for one that turned out to be the '11 R41 version here on B&B years ago when I first started. I used it as my weekend shaver versus my Edwin Jager DE86, but eventually traded it for a '61 Slim. I could get a closer shave compared to my EJ, but I didn't feel it got enough use and the opportunity to get the slim won out.

I did buy another R41 a few years ago, which should be the 'tamer' version, but it still gets less use than my slim and EJ. I'm currently starting my straight edge venture, so I may try to go a few weeks solely dedicated to the R41 to see if it stays or goes towards more straight edge gear.

I won a giveaway for one that turned out to be the '11 R41 version here on B&B years ago when I first started. I used it as my weekend shaver versus my Edwin Jager DE86, but eventually traded it for a '61 Slim. I could get a closer shave compared to my EJ, but I didn't feel it got enough use and the opportunity to get the slim won out.

I did buy another R41 a few years ago, which should be the 'tamer' version, but it still gets less use than my slim and EJ. I'm currently starting my straight edge venture, so I may try to go a few weeks solely dedicated to the R41 to see if it stays or goes towards more straight edge gear.
I applaude you for taking the plunge. I had straights on my radar in the beginning, but then I read about the honing, diamond paste, wet stones - and decided I was not ready for that (did visit the barber to experience it). But you have more shaving mileage than I do. I did buy a sort of shavette on a DE handle called the Razorine Flatboy. Smooth and comfortable close shaver.

Enjoy your straight journey. Sounds like a plan with the beard and all. Maybe become a professor in straight shaving too? 😊

Cheers,

Guido

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom

View attachment 1484102

Best,

Guido
Looking forward to your review I hope you get good results.

Guido, you really love that handle. Or is it just your only handle?! :)

Good luck with the real deal. It will teach you good shaving habits. Every time I return to it, the R41 tells me that I have been slacking with other razors. :)
I concur wholeheartedly Iridian…..The R41 is a good way to get back on track!
You will be reminded immediately of bad habits you may have picked up with other more forgiving razors.

First shave with the real McCoy after my up and down adventures with the cloned version.

Deceptively designed the R41 gives you the impression that there is not much blade feel because the blade is almost entirely covered (like the Henson). But once you start the shave you immediately know the blade is there - tons of blade feel. Yet never harsh or the feeling of scraping.

I did shave pretty steep as I felt (and read) that this limits tugging sensations. I went slow and careful.

Super efficient! Two passes and that was it! I went for a third pass ATG just to observe and learn. And this BBS is glassy! I have had amazing BBSs before. This is definitely in my top three. Some minor weepers but I expected these so no problems there. And it was when I may have applied a tad of pressure.

The handle of the Razorine is heavy but it makes using the R41 effortless. Good grip even when wet. Glad I had this extra handle! @Iridian - no it is not my only handle, but I do not have handles laying around in dozens either 😁. All I can say is that I like heavier handles and preferably stainless steel ones.

Compared to the R41 cloned version this was a very smooth shave - even when using a steep angle. It appears to be slightly smoother than the Flatboy as well, but that jury is still out. The Flatboy does clamp the blade less than the R41 appears to do.

All in all this is going into my rotation for let’s say a Mühle Monday or Super Smooth Saturday or something like that.

I came, I saw and I conquered. The R41 is a great razor, suited even for newbies. Just go slow and easy does it. An excellent extension of my collection.

Cheers,

Guido

Glad that you tried the real McCoy and noticed the difference.

My R41 go-to safety razor with black handle (technically a R101) gave me years of good service, even though it has now been dethroned by a different safety razor.

I always detested the “Beast” moniker that some gave the R41, in the hands of someone who knows what he is doing it is a very efficient, close, yet comfortable safety razor.

B.

Last edited:
Only issue with R41 I have is that there is usually almmost nothing to shave next day 💈😉
Yep! Although I must admit that my Fatip did an already remarkable job of that yesterday. There was less stubble to deal with than usual. And at the rate it is going now, I am indeed wondering what I will be doing tomorrow. It is now some 6 hours past my shaving time and I am still at BBS level.
The glassy/marble feeling of the skin after a shave with the R41, almost an exfoliation, is indeed the hallmark of the real deal.

Glad you like it. When it comes to having a skin feeling like marble it is one of a kind.
I did indeed. Thanks for your support during the clone wars - helped to pull the trigger and get the Mühle. I sort of see it as getting my first branded razor somehow :biggrin1: despite my Fatips.

Best,

Guido.

Glad that you tried the real McCoy and noticed the difference.

My R41 go-to safety razor with black handle (technically a R101) gave me years of good service, even though it has now been dethroned by a different razor.

I always detested the “Beast” moniker that some gave the R41, in the hands of someone who knows what he is doing it is a very efficient, close, yet comfortable safety razor.

B.
Thanks B. Beast was not what I thought of this morning after the shave. As you said - you have to be focused during the shave, but I find that to be true for all my razors!

And thanks for your earlier feedback and challenge. Helped my progression a lot.

So I can now really say what the R41 feels like and join the big boys club :thumbup:.

Best,

Guido.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello @Guido75

I've been lurking and following your progress in secret. I've been curious how you were going to get along with one of the most popular razors in the wet shaving community. Many have learned that the clones do not fully represent the genuine article. While weepers should always most certainly be avoided, I am glad that you enjoy your R41.

I am going to give you a challenge, and there is no time limit for this challenge, so take as much time on the shave as needed, to achieve this goal. Your challenge is, to do a shave with your R41, (after your face has healed up of course) and you must achieve the shave with 0-nicks, 0-weepers, and 0-irritation. Let us know how it goes.

Also, I am curious, whats going to be next on your RAD? What razors are you looking to get next?

Hey Star Treker!

Lurking in the stubble and suddenly showing up hey?!

Your challenge is, to do a shave with your R41, (after your face has healed up of course) and you must achieve the shave with 0-nicks, 0-weepers, and 0-irritation.
Sounds like Mission Impossible (your challenge should you choose to accept it). But anyway, challenge accepted! It is in my regular rotation for now so plenty of time to work on it.
Also, I am curious, whats going to be next on your RAD? What razors are you looking to get next?
Hard to tell actually. I have been on the lookout for a birth year and birth quarter razor. Found one or two, but beyond a comfortable price point with all shipping and customs included. And somehow I want to have a Tech off some sorts. Razorock Lupo sounds nice (but again here in Europe these are way more expensive than in the States).

And there is a part of me that actually says I have all the razors I need. Brass, stainless, zamak - all part of the party. Besides, my stand can only hold so much razors and brushes.

I do have AD when soaps and blades are concerned though…

I will let you know my progress with the R41 challenge.

Best,

Guido

Top Bottom