What's new

My first run with a R41 — the real deal!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
no it is not my only handle, but I do not have handles laying around in dozens either 😁. All I can say is that I like heavier handles and preferably stainless steel ones.
I have no idea what you are talking about. :hand:
20220807_190559.jpg
~doug~

I have no idea what you are talking about. :hand:
View attachment 1501155
~doug~
I am so dabbling in the junior league…the GTs I can understand, but are these stock handles or did you make these yourself too, Doug? The one with the knurling smack death in the middle looks nice. So did the first one on the left (or 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 10th, 11th, :eek2::letterk1:).

I get the idea. I need to get more handles.

Guido

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am so dabbling in the junior league…the GTs I can understand, but are these stock handles or did you make these yourself too, Doug? The one with the knurling smack death in the middle looks nice. So did the first one on the left (or 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 10th, 11th, :eek2::letterk1:).

Guido
Made them all behind the boss's back at work. :letterk1: Machinist's call them G-Jobs or government projects.

~doug~

Made them all behind the boss's back at work. :letterk1: Machinist's call them G-Jobs or government projects.

~doug~
I sort of figured that would be the answer! My inner Sherlock at work! :pipe:(which is my super power as opposed to making these beautiful handles).

I don’t know if there is something like DAD or DHAD, but I do know is has Been building for quite some time now. I am looking for ways to rationalise this to the home accounting department :blushing::001_huh:. At present I am at “must try harder”-level.

Best,

Guido

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don’t know if there is something like DAD or DHAD, but I do know is has Been building for quite some time now. I am looking for ways to rationalise this to the home accounting department :blushing::001_huh:. At present I am at “must try harder”-level.
I have a fun budget and exceed it regularly, but it is not a problem as I have learnt from the government and banking: I create a bad bank that isn't part of my fun budget which remains intact for further purchases.

I have a fun budget and exceed it regularly, but it is not a problem as I have learnt from the government and banking: I create a bad bank that isn't part of my fun budget which remains intact for further purchases.
My current account is with G.R.U.M.E. & Sons. No overdraft facility I’m afraid. And yes, like you I have a budget in the back of my mind when seeing all shaving goodies. I have managed to exceed that amount regularly - hence my switch in bank.

Guido

By the way, shaves with the R41 yesterday for a Super Smooth Sunday. I found it most amazing that the angle already was in muscle memory for a very - dare I say - comfortable shave? Post shave sensitivity most definitely, but not harsh or rough by any means. Still treading carefully of course. See A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11878112 for further details if you like.

And I read @ivan_101 ’s post (I applaud you by the way for even finding that out!) on changes to the head. I don’t have reference material in older R41s (besides my Fatip but that is Mk2 so does not count) and I also do not have capilar measure devices, but given the fact that I bought mine only a few weeks ago, perhaps I have the yet newer edition of the R41. Still a force to be respected in my view, but this level of aggression is one I can handle. And the results are excellent as well. My KCG has less work this morning.

Cheers,

Guido

Guido
Yes, you need handles by the dozens (Your words). Just emphasising in case you didn't get it. :c1:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good luck and congrats. I never could get the R41 to give me anything other than weepers, nicks and cuts. Just could not figure it out.
I would suggest use a Steep angle approach(riding the bar) with a short handle for less leverage and weight and you will find it a lot easier with one of the closest shaves you can get. Use the steep angle approach with any aggressive razor and you might not ever want to use another razor if you got to have those close shaves IMO. I find it easier to work the chin and lower neck near the collar bone area with the short handles.

I would suggest use a Steep angle approach(riding the bar) with a short handle for less leverage and weight and you will find it a lot easier with one of the closest shaves you can get. Use the steep angle approach with any aggressive razor and you might not ever want to use another razor if you got to have those close shaves IMO. I find it easier to work the chin and lower neck near the collar bone area with the short handles.
Great suggestion on the handle Ron - I need to check that out. I have a pretty heavy long handle at the moment. Which handles do you prefer (a as in which brand/type)?

Guido

Just saw this thread after posting my own about my first shave with the R41. The R41 is a great razor IMO. Good prep and careful technique yielded a close and comfortable shave. I can see why so many like this razor!
I like this razor even more after I replaced the Top Cap on my 2011 edition with the improved 2013. Took care of all that blade exposure and dangers of a serious cut. Blade chatter gone too! What remains is the 2011 base plate, and get the more aggressive shaving performance of the original razor, sans the blade issues. I do however, use the stock 2013 R41 more often since I usually don't need a super long lasting shave.

My understanding was that the change from the 2011 to 2013 R41 was the top cap was modified, but the base plate stayed the same.

Top Bottom