What's new

My First Rubberset 400

Now these are the photos from the original listing so I shall post my own once I get it on Monday. The 400 has been my unicorn as far as brushes are concerned for more than 6 months and now I finally have one. It is obvious from the photos that it will need a new knot and some serious love to get it where I want it. I am very excited about restoring this beautiful brush to it's former glory and using it daily though. This is positively the finest looking brush I have ever seen and I am very Proud and Grateful to now finally own one. The other brush is also a Rubberset from what I can tell from these two photos although it will take in person inspection to figure out which model it is. It too will be getting a lot of love and a new knot.

View attachment 610080

View attachment 610081

Will post more photos as this project evolves:thumbup1::thumbup1:

from the bottom, it looks like it's a 103. I just bought a 203 and it arrived today. Looking around to figure out what I want/need to do to clean it up.

from the bottom, it looks like it's a 103. I just bought a 203 and it arrived today. Looking around to figure out what I want/need to do to clean it up.

That was what I was reading as well. I am sure it too will turn out nicely once I get the measurements for a knot:thumbup:

Very nice! :thumbup1:Everything you need to know about restoring it can be found in this thread.http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/355627-The-Rubberset-400-Club

Thank you Troy, I have been reading that thread for ever and drooling over the beautiful brushes in it. I have bid on over 100 of these and never won one until today. I am so stoked it isn't even funny. From what I gather I will need a 26mm knot for this retore job. I already have 3 22mm knots but I will be ordering a special one for this brush because It is definitely my Holy Grail of Brushes and I will post the before and after photos in the 400 thread when I actually receive it:thumbup:

Congrats, Nate! I think most folks buy 24mm knots for the 400's and even some of those can be tight if the glue plug flares too much above the knot's base. Remember, the 400 ferrule is not one you can enlarge if your knot doesn't fit. The opening is about 25mm to begin with, then TGN's site recommends you buy 2mm under to account for the flare.

Can't wait to see your "after" pics!

Congrats, Nate! I think most folks buy 24mm knots for the 400's and even some of those can be tight if the glue plug flares too much above the knot's base. Remember, the 400 ferrule is not one you can enlarge if your knot doesn't fit. The opening is about 25mm to begin with, then TGN's site recommends you buy 2mm under to account for the flare.

Can't wait to see your "after" pics!

I kinda figured that since it was aluminum and I had never seen the inside of the knot collar that it may or may not have a "Filler" plug that could be altered to fit different knot sizes. I have 2 Silver tip 22mm Knots and 1 22mm Boar Knot. I also have my eyes on a very nice looking 23.5mm Silvertip though that would go great with this brush if I can get it to fit. I would like to go with the largest knot I can possibly fit into it though so I will test fit the 22's and then order a few different knot sizes from 23 to 26 as I will surely be making more brushes by hand soon anyways I will always be able to custom fit a handle for any of the knots I don't use in the 400 and what appears to be a 103. These will be my very first actual restorations. Everything else I have done has been hand tools from the ground up in the Macgyver Thread. I am starting my third brush today for my oldest Son. It promises to turn out great as well.

Take at look at this post which has some details on the Dremel Abrasive Buffs that I use to smooth out the aluminum handles. I polished the first 4 or 5 brushes with the traditional 220/440/...../6000 grit method and decided there had to be a better way!

I currently have 5 400s in rotation with knots from Black to Silvertip and the only one I don't like is the synthetic. I know, I know, what was I thinking putting a FAKE knot in a REAL handle - sacrilege! But I was reading so many reviews extolling the virtues of synthetics that I had to try. Lesson learned, NEVER again! Only the best for my 400s from here on!! <LOL>

Take at look at this post which has some details on the Dremel Abrasive Buffs that I use to smooth out the aluminum handles. I polished the first 4 or 5 brushes with the traditional 220/440/...../6000 grit method and decided there had to be a better way!

I currently have 5 400s in rotation with knots from Black to Silvertip and the only one I don't like is the synthetic. I know, I know, what was I thinking putting a FAKE knot in a REAL handle - sacrilege! But I was reading so many reviews extolling the virtues of synthetics that I had to try. Lesson learned, NEVER again! Only the best for my 400s from here on!! <LOL>

WOW, Polishing them to that level by hand is something I just could not do myself. I plan on using some the Buffing wheels with a 1/4 inch shank for my drill and the polishing compounds I got from Lowe's. It has worked excellent on everything I have ever used it on thus far. After that I will go to the "Old Reliable" Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish to get the high shine done on it.

I have been contemplating ordering a synthetic, but I agree with you on keeping this one animal hair. I will use the synthetic in one of my handmade creations to test it out:thumbup:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Those are both going to be great looking brushes. That 103 handle looks absolutely tiny next to that 400. I'd love to find one of those dandys! They look great all polished up and shiny...can't wait for pictures of the finished product!

Those are both going to be great looking brushes. That 103 handle looks absolutely tiny next to that 400. I'd love to find one of those dandys! They look great all polished up and shiny...can't wait for pictures of the finished product!

LOL Yes it does look positively minuscule compared to the 400. The knot's look close to the same diameter though. I am working on my Oldest Son's brush handle today though as these two have yet to arrive. They should be here on Monday though so I can give them a closer inspection as to how much work they will need. From what I gather the head of the 400 should be threaded and unscrew so that I can clean it inside and out as well as replace the knot.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
From what I gather the head of the 400 should be threaded and unscrew so that I can clean it inside and out as well as replace the knot.
I didn't know they came apart, it sure makes restoration easier when they do though. Nice pick ups, can't wait to see them all done.

...From what I gather the head of the 400 should be threaded and unscrew so that I can clean it inside and out as well as replace the knot.

Yes, they are threaded, but boy can they be on there TIGHT! I've had to use PB Blaster penetrate on most of mine, with the judicious application of a couple of strap wrenches. I've even had to clamp a couple of them in a vise (with a split wooden block protecting the aluminum) to separate them they were that tight. But then again, they've had the better part of 80 years to seize <LOL>

Did I say TIGHT?!

Yes, they are threaded, but boy can they be on there TIGHT! I've had to use PB Blaster penetrate on most of mine, with the judicious application of a couple of strap wrenches. I've even had to clamp a couple of them in a vise (with a split wooden block protecting the aluminum) to separate them they were that tight. But then again, they've had the better part of 80 years to seize <LOL>

Did I say TIGHT?!

LMAO Yes that will indeed be a challenge for sure. Especially with aluminum. That stuff seizes up tighter than all get out once it has the chance to set a while, and from the looks of this on it has had PLENTY of time. Once I do get it apart however I intend to remedy that problem with some teflon tape when I put it back together with the edition of a washer in between the top and handle parts to ensure that when and if I do have to replace the knot, (Or my kids do once I pass it on to one of them), it will be far easier to negotiate.:thumbup:

...I intend to remedy that problem with some teflon tape when I put it back together with the edition of a washer in between the top and handle parts to ensure that when and if I do have to replace the knot, (Or my kids do once I pass it on to one of them), it will be far easier to negotiate.:thumbup:

I did the first couple with a washer in the ferrule to act as a shelf for the knot, then decided I didn't like the loft and wanted to change. After that experience (!) I went to Lowes and found some 1" diameter wood discs that I soaked in wood hardener to waterproof, then used that as the shelf. My expectation is that will be much easier to remove should I find the need in the future.

I did the first couple with a washer in the ferrule to act as a shelf for the knot, then decided I didn't like the loft and wanted to change. After that experience (!) I went to Lowes and found some 1" diameter wood discs that I soaked in wood hardener to waterproof, then used that as the shelf. My expectation is that will be much easier to remove should I find the need in the future.

I think you are spot on there. I will most likely do something similar by sanding down a wooden disc or maybe even acrylic just to set a nice shelf and then tack it into place with some epoxy at four corners for easy removal should I need to.

Well the Brushes arrived today and I am REALLY Glad that I have Hands Like a Set Of Vice Grips. This thing griped about unscrewing but raw determination and the strength in my hands of a Boatswain's Mate Made short work of unscrewing the 400. The Little Cream colored one is indeed a 103 and it looks like either it was worn down to a nub from shaving with it or it was cut with the intention to restore and someone decided against it. Either way it too will get a new knot and some TLC.

Here is how the arrived I cannot really find a number on the collar anywhere on the 400 so at the moment I am not sure if it is a 400-3 or 400-4 or something else:

$20151026_165511-1.jpg

$20151026_165558-1.jpg

$20151026_165630-1.jpg

$20151026_165755-1.jpg

$20151026_165804-1.jpg

Something else! There were actually 3 versions, #3 , #4 and unnumbered (least common).

Awesome, that means that this is an even more rare find. It is definitely starting to clean up well. The Head Smelled Ghastly for sure so I hit it with some boiling water right off the bat then cut and drilled, now for the painstaking process of grinding out the rest of the funky knot that was in it before LOL Once I get those knots all completely out I will definitely be doing some detail sanding, buffing and polishing of both brushes to get them looking really good prior to inserting the new knots.

OMG!!! What a Righteous Pain this was to get clean LMAO :lol: However it is now very clean, much more polished than it was when I started and ready for the knot when it gets here. There is still some extremely fine portions of the original epoxy that held the original knot in place in a few of the threads and in the head cap but I will work on those spots as I go and try to get them pristine before the knot gets here.

Progress thus far:

$20151027_194800-1.jpg

$20151027_194708-1.jpg

$20151027_194742-1.jpg

I have also confirmed that this one, (Unless someone did some serious sanding of the cap), never had a number on it as there is no trace even of an etched number on it anywhere.

Top Bottom