What's new

My First Rubberset 400

Lookin' good, Nate! I just put a TGN HMW in a 400 a few days ago and have 3 face lathers on the brush, so far - if you like yours even half as much as I like mine, you'll be loving it!

Thank you my Friend;

Well the one thing I have noticed over the past 6 months is that the "Floppier" The brush, the slicker and poofier the lather. The more "Backbone" the brush has the more exfoliation and feel on your face you get. So this one feels like it has almost a dead center balance of the two, it is not really Floppy, nor is it really all that Firm. So I am thinking that I may very well be shocked at the feel and lather I get tomorrow out of this brush and knot. Only time will tell but that is my hunch for tomorrows shave LOL

Okay, here is the results of a 30 second test Lathering using the Mystic Waters Maestrale Sampler I have. It definitely lathers very nicely and I am unbelievably Anxious to use it tomorrow morning LOL

$20151106_173647-1.jpg

Looks great!

-jim

Thank you Jim and it DEFINITELY Works Great too!! WOW! The Weight, the Splay, The Latherability everything works amazing using the 3 Quarters to Set it also set this thing for optimum performance I think. It did not come out with as much backbone as I am used to but at the same time it spreads lather more evenly by far:thumbup1:

I decided to take the restoration a step further by dressing the rubberset in a Black Tie so to speak. I added a 1/16 x 7/8 O ring to the collar in order to prevent any and all water intrusion into the handle and threads. This along with the Teflon tape had given it a snug and secure yet non binding/seizing connection for the threads that connect the two pieces as well as give a very nice look in my opinion.:thumbup:

$20151107_113308-1.jpg

The WD HM Badger suffered a mass casualty so it had to be fully removed. The glue plug had a total failure which lead to a massive loss of hair. Not to fear though, it has a replacement on the way which should be here tomorrow or the next day:thumbup: Larry is an outstanding Businessman and a True Gentlemen as well. His Customer Service is Beyond Reproach by anyone:thumbup:

Here it sits awaiting it's new knot:
$20151111_113246-1.jpg

I highly praise Larry. His knots, not so much.

I do too, he is a true man of honor and integrity for sure. I have also had zero problems with my other knot from him, I think this one was just a fluke. My Silvertip that I got from him months ago for the Constellation Brush is definitely a Stellar performer in every way. This one just lost all cohesion and neither of us can figure out why it did that, not sure if it was the Gain Cleaner with Fabreeze that I used or if it was a defective glue plug so he gave me a full refund for it which is definitely true customer service. I just hope I can get some more from him in the future as other projects present themselves:thumbup1:

So my 26.5mm Silvertip Knot arrived today and I must say it was a serious challenge to get it to fit since the knot size was the actual glue plug size and the actual knot base diameter was a hair over 27mm LMAO but I did it and I now have a formidable looking Rubberset 400 with a 27mm Knot and a 57mm Loft awaiting cleaning, conditioning and blooming tonight so that I can measure the final crown diameter once it is bloomed out.

$20151120_145853-1.jpg

Not much wiggle room in there LOL
$20151120_145618-1.jpg

How tough was it to get the epoxy out of the ferrule for the new knot?

Not really tough at all, just Drilled Straight through the original knot after cutting it down with scissors and then used the dremmel with a sanding barrel tip to gut it out leaving a little less than a mm of the original glue gunk in there to be removed by the wire wheel attachment carefully to avoid damaging the threads. Got everything inside clean as a whistle for the most part:thumbup:

Cool, I have a 400 and have been toying with a knot replacement. I have actually been using the original boar one, but geriatric boar deserves to retire too
proxy.php

I wonder if pablo the pug could spare a knot..

Cool, I have a 400 and have been toying with a knot replacement. I have actually been using the original boar one, but geriatric boar deserves to retire too
proxy.php

I wonder if pablo the pug could spare a knot..

Heck That is one of the best looking original knots I have seen outside of an NOS for a Rubberset 400 or most other brush handles for that matter. But Pablo may be able to provide for some beggin strips LMAO

Yeah, I'm torn about replacing it. Maybe I could pick up an extra ferrule somehow

There is a place that sells a newer Look Alike of the 400 and they claim that the replacement ferrules they sell also fits the original Rubberset 400 handles. I think it is listed somewhere in the Rubberset 400 Club thread.

Final Result for the Virginia Sheng 26.5mm Silvertip installed in the Rubberset 400

27mm Knot Base

57mm Loft

77mm Crown after blooming

$20151121_085317-1.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Wow, that's a fine looking brush indeed! Very well done Nate...I love to see a brush come back to life.

Top Bottom