What's new

My First Rubberset 400

Something else! There were actually 3 versions, #3 , #4 and unnumbered (least common).

There are six versions: 3, 4A, 5, and 6. There are also the 4 and unmarked. The 5 and 6 had wooden handles.

Here's an old ad with the first four.

$Rubberset Ad 1930s 2.JPG

You're off to a great start! Can't wait to see it loaded with a knot :thumbup:

Me either, it will be probably a little over two weeks before the knots get here so now I have plenty of time to get the remaining solid stuck on adhesive off inside the Ferrell.

There are six versions: 3, 4A, 5, and 6. There are also the 4 and unmarked. The 5 and 6 had wooden handles.

View attachment 611053

Now that is just really Neat to see. Thank you very much for posting it. I really love the look and feel of the 400's. I just can't hardly wait for this one's replacement knot to get here so I can use it :w00t:

Now that is just really Neat to see. Thank you very much for posting it. I really love the look and feel of the 400's. I just can't hardly wait for this one's replacement knot to get here so I can use it :w00t:

My pleasure.

I agree. They feel nice in the hand and plenty of grip surfaces and angles. I enjoy the ones I have.

View attachment 611053

It's interesting to note that this ad doesn't call it a model 400, only the size references. We know that shape is a model 400 from some NOS examples, the boxes and labels that were attached to the brushes:

$400_18.jpg$400_7.jpg

$2014-01-12 18.55.15.jpg

I believe the #4A is the same as a #4 we've seen and not another model. My guess is there was a wooden handled size 4 brush and they were wanting to avoid confusion.

The wooden handled #5 & #6 would not have been shaped like the aluminum ones. I believe they will look more like this version:

$400_1-[1915].jpg

Last edited:
WOW, Very cool photos BladeShark:thumbup: The knot for this one should be here in a couple days so it is not long now until it is back up and running and into regular rotation with a brand new High Mountain Badger knot from W/D and I am chomping at the bit to take it for a test drive:thumbup:

WOW, Very cool photos BladeShark:thumbup: The knot for this one should be here in a couple days so it is not long now until it is back up and running and into regular rotation with a brand new High Mountain Badger knot from W/D and I am chomping at the bit to take it for a test drive:thumbup:

My great white whale that got away from me was this one:

$400_2.jpg

With the box having the post 1956 Sherwin-Williams style logo with the big "R" I'm curious if they made any changes to the logo on the bottom of the brush. All I have seen have been the same so I'm guessing not. This is the only time I've seen this box type on a NOS Rubberset 400.

Very nice work. Congrats.

Yes, great job on the restore so far!

They are truly a labor of love, aren't they?

Thank you both very much and Jim, you are absolutely correct. They really are a labor of love. 6 Months it took me to get this one and I will surely cherish it for the rest of my life and I can only hope that one of my Sons will do the same for his lifetime as well.

Nice shiny handle.

can't wait to see the knot installed.

-jim

Me Either LOL It was scheduled for delivery today but I am betting it should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Either way the knot will be going in as fast as I can get it unwrapped LOL I am chomping at the bit to try this incredible brush! LOL:lol:

I've done more than a few of these. One trick I've been using lately to set the knot is to get 3 quarters. Take the ferrule off and place the knot through it setting it a little deep. Screw it back on with the 3 quarters sitting on top of the open handle and they will push the knot up to a good height and level it. From there unscrew it, turn the ferrule upside down and mount it in something (vise) and pour the epoxy. By tomorrow it's usable.

I've done more than a few of these. One trick I've been using lately to set the knot is to get 3 quarters. Take the ferrule off and place the knot through it setting it a little deep. Screw it back on with the 3 quarters sitting on top of the open handle and they will push the knot up to a good height and level it. From there unscrew it, turn the ferrule upside down and mount it in something (vise) and pour the epoxy. By tomorrow it's usable.

That is an awesome trick, one which I will surly use on this restoration. Thank you very much for sharing as I have been wondering how I was going to set this knot into place. I got the 24mm High Mountain Badger from WD so hopefully it performs as excellent as the Silvertip I got does. I know that as soon as it arrives I will be placing it into the ferrule and getting it set so I can use it as soon as possible. 6 months plus is a long time to wait for a brush LOL I am going stir crazy waiting on the knot LOL and it has only been a couple days LMAO

WOOHOO!!!!!!! The Knot should be delivered today along with my newly restored Fatboy returning home after a trip to the Captain for some emergency surgery. I look forward to using both tomorrow after I get that knot set and grow back some stubble for the Fatboy to chew on after my terrific BBS shave this morning with the Frederick Reynolds Near Wedge:thumbup:

WOOHOO!!! 24mm High Mountain Badger Knot came in today and I personally think it looks great in this brush. I cannot wait for tomorrow when I can use it:thumbup:

$20151106_141437-1.jpg

I also added some Teflon Tape around the threads in order to put an additional measure of protection against seizing in the future in the event I decide to put a different knot into it at a later date.

$20151106_143104-1.jpg

WOOHOO!!! 24mm High Mountain Badger Knot came in today and I personally think it looks great in this brush. I cannot wait for tomorrow when I can use it:thumbup:

View attachment 613478

Lookin' good, Nate! I just put a TGN HMW in a 400 a few days ago and have 3 face lathers on the brush, so far - if you like yours even half as much as I like mine, you'll be loving it!

Top Bottom