What's new

My First Post - Zen and the Art of Wet Shaving

I just marked my third month using a safety razor. Like many of you I grew up using cartridge razors - Gillette Trac II, Atra, MACH3 and Fusion (my first razor was actually a Schick Injector). I was annoyed by the cost of cartridges, and disturbed by the environmental impact of cartridges and disposable. Sometime during 2017 I read about double-edge safety razors on the Wirecutter. I did some research about safety razors and left it at that. Then, during the week of Christmas 2017, my daughter visited with a Merkur 23C and 100 Astra Superior Platinum (SP) blades. I took the gear for a test drive with a can of foamy goo and the rest, as they say, is history.

The first razor I bought was an Edwin Jagger DE89 (with the knurled chrome handle), but the first razor I took possession of was a vintage "birthday" Gillette Super Speed I bought on Etsy. With a tub of Proraso Green, 100 Astra SP blades, a bottle of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm and and my father's (or grandfather's) old boar hair Fuller brush, I dove in - deep. What had been a chore now became a ritual and a hobby. I was hooked!

Next I found Nick Shaves on YouTube (thank you, Nick) and caught a bad case of RAD: vintage 1938 Gillette Tech, Merkur 34C, Derby Extra, Feather, Personna "Lab Blue", Badger & Blade 10th Anniversary boar hair brush, Stirling Bay Rum, Soap Commander Respect, WSP Citrus Blast and Mike's Lime.

Then I discovered the Badger & Blade shaving forums - and in particular the Blade Wars (thank you, cw62803). Now it was Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless, Gillette Nacet, Gillette Silver Blue, Perma-Sharp Super and Polsilver. And I started conducting my own battle of the blades. I also began to learn the lingo - BBS, DFS, RAD. What a hoot!

But then something unexpected happened. I had dove too deep and found myself overthinking and heading toward the obsessive. The good news is I finally woke up and realized I was having a ton of fun and I was better off just enjoying the ride. My new mantra is "If it feels good, it's good!" This evening my gut said 34C, GSB and Citrus Blast - and I had a thoroughly enjoyable shave!

A few things that I have learned:
  • Your technique will improve over time
  • Everyone is different and you need to try different products to figure out what works best for you
  • YMMV
  • Use a light, light touch, especially with a sharper blade
  • I prefer shorter, simpler razors - like the 34C
  • The PPI Russian Gillette blades work well with my beard and skin
  • If I need to shave for 5 to 6 days in a row, tallow-based soaps seem to give me slightly better protection and less irritation
And finally I scored my first tub of Cella and 100 Perma-Sharp Supers last night :-;.

Attached are a few photos.

Shave on!

That's a nice selection of razors to start with.
[snip] I was annoyed by the cost of cartridges, and disturbed by the environmental impact of cartridges and disposable.
[snip]
... 100 Astra Superior Platinum (SP) blades.[snip]
Excellent choice. :thumbup1:
I used to toss them (Astra SP blades) after 6 shaves, then after 12 shaves, and finally I decided to see how far I could push one blade. The one I'm using now has 57 uses on it. That's better than 4.1 shaves per cent.

Welcome! I too am new to DE shaving and I agree, it’s a blast! A relatively cheap hobby that has a practical outcome, what could be better?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. It's amazing how nice some of the older shaving brushes really can be.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And where is the Zen?!

Ah, of course- the tenet "if you look at it, it goes away." Brilliant!

Try to attain the perfection of form that leads to shaver/nonshaver. As with other exercises, such as watching a rock grow, mindful shaving is rewarding, relaxing, and on a non-Zen level, you have to shave anyways. Enjoy!

AA

Thank you for your kind welcomes and feedback!

Truth be told about badger and brushes, I also bought an Edwin Jagger EJ876 best badger brush and an Omega 10066. For $36.50, the EJ876 seemed to be too good a deal to pass on. I am saving the EJ876 for my 6 month wet shaving "birthday". I gave the 10066 to my daughter and I plan to buy another 10066 for my son, who recently converted to a safety razor.

I have been using the non-alcohol Nivea after shave balm (which I really like). Next, I would like to try an alcohol based after shave to see if it helps sooth irritation after 4 to 5 days of shaving. I am curious how others use alcohol-based after shaves. Do people use these on a daily basis or only a few times per week? Should I focus on products that do not contain coloring (like Blue 1) and ingredients I do not understand (like BHT)? I am intrigued by the Fine Accoutrements after shaves.

Top Bottom