What's new

My first old school SE. Need pointers/tips/links so I can make it shave ready.

Mostly have DE (except for Schick Repeaters A and C) but I love travel razors and this little all in one called to me in a big way. The blade isn't shave ready and I'm not sure how to proceed. I have read a few methods but there are a lot of differing opinions. There is much info that lapping paper is an inexpensive way to make such blades "pop".

Do you guys think I should jump in or send it off to a pro the first time to give me a baseline to compare my results with? I will eventually want to do it myself no matter what so personal experience and advice is much appreciated. Some things taken for granted by straight users are a mystery to me. Ex. How do you strop, how often (how do you hold one of these to strop)? This is going to be a fun learning experience especially if I can get a good shave out of it.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

ps. this razor was accidentally shipped to Austria from England instead of to me in the U.S. The recipient returned it to England and then it was shipped to me. It is a well traveled travel razor. :)

That is a wedge blade--basically a section of a straight razor. If you want to use it, It must be honed like a straight. I don't know much about them, but many will take a regular GEM blade. Some can take a de-spined GEM blade, and some can take a shimmed GEM blade (one which has an extra spine added over the normal spine to make it thicker). Hopefully, someone will be along soon who can explain better than me. Your razor looks like it might take a shimmed GEM blade.

Good to know that other blades can be shimmed, clipped, or fitted somehow but the purist in me wants to use the original blade.

Discovered that Bayamontate will gladly hone my blade for me. I will eventually want to do it myself or not depending on how often it needs it. Very reasonable fee so sending it to him tomorrow. In the meantime I will learn as much as I can and try to find some spares. Any help offered is appreciated about how to take care of these to assure a comfy shave.

Although I'm truly hooked on vintage DE, I am intrigued by the longevity of these "pieces of straight".

Last edited:
Beautiful razor! I have a number of wedge blade razors, but nothing like that.

I find that a wedge blade razor with a blade that is properly honed and stropped will, with proper technique, provide a shave that is superior to, well, just about anything. :thumbup1:

Enjoy, and please let us know how it goes.

--Bob

Got the blade back and it was very sharp. I'm still learning about these but it easily passed the test where you lower a hair onto the blade and a light sweep across the tops of my arm hairs grabbed them and cut the tops off.

My first shave with the Cumberland (don't know if that was a company promo or the razor name) was very aggressive. Fatboy on 29? I went slowly and had no cuts or burn but I felt every hair being cut. Smooth it wasn't. Could be a problem with the angle or exposure on my travel razor. I have an Ernst Scharff on the way so I'll find out if there is any difference when it arrives. I think they have a bit of adjustability.

Oh, also lucked up on a Star handle and stropping attachment, plus 3 blades. Here's cool note: read a 4 year old thread at SRP about free strops, sent an email out of curiosity and lo and behold Larry of Whipped Dog Straight Razor Sales sent me a free strop!!! Not to mention Bayamontate is sending along some Diamond spray. Great community.

Last edited:
Cool razor! I hadn't seen one like that until now...early razor construction ingenuity at its best!

Got this today and posted in acquisitions:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My travel razor was rough but I shaved a bit of hair off my arm with Bayamontate's sharpened blade in this razor (after adjusting the screws) and it made a world of difference. Can't wait to try it in the morning.

I think I will need some sort of shim to make the Cumberland travel razor more comfortable to shave with. I need to move the blade back away from the guard a bit. I could bend the tangs to hold it farther back but I really don't want to do that. Any suggestions?

Shaved with the ES above and it was much better. I was able to bend the tangs down a bit that hold the blade in the travel razor and hopefully make it a bit more mild. Shaving with one of these blades is a new experience and totally new feel from DE.

The Sharff is my favorite razor. The workmanship is excellent. When I ultrasonically cleaned it one of the two screws backed out. I had tossed out the water and when I saw the screw was missing my heart sank. Thought I had lost the screw forever. But it had stuck to a water droplet in the bottom of the ultrasonic, so small and light is that screw.

The Sharff is my favorite razor. The workmanship is excellent. When I ultrasonically cleaned it one of the two screws backed out. I had tossed out the water and when I saw the screw was missing my heart sank. Thought I had lost the screw forever. But it had stuck to a water droplet in the bottom of the ultrasonic, so small and light is that screw.

Cool about finding that. Would have been a real bummer. Even if you were to drop one right at your feet it seems likely you would never see it again.

I thought I would try to take a video of the HHT but wondered if there is already one out there? It's really cool to see that hair fall off like it was laser cut.

Top Bottom