What's new

My First Natural Finish

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It has been a couple of months since I last compared two identical SRs, one off the Cnat (black tail) and the other off diamond pasted balsa (clear tail), both in the same shave. This morning I decided to give it another go. This time with two Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SRs.

DSCF0992.JPG

Both shaved equally well in cutting ability, including the CdM. The Cnat finish was just a little more comfortable but not by much - hard to differentiate. I will continue shaving with this pair during this week to see which one stands out as the better. Then I might finish my other three T.H.60 SRs the same way as the winner. Both SRs are maintained on the Cnat and balsa respectively after each shave.

I'm surprised that the CNat is so close in sharpness to the balsa, but then I remember someone posted research by Gillette (I think from the 50's) and they found that apparent sharpness stops at a certain actual sharpness and beyond that apparent sharpness is increased by how well the blade slips through hair, which is why they started adding coatings to their blades. So I wonder if the CNat takes it to a point where you can't feel the blade being any sharper even if the balsa is objectively sharper.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm surprised that the CNat is so close in sharpness to the balsa, but then I remember someone posted research by Gillette (I think from the 50's) and they found that apparent sharpness stops at a certain actual sharpness and beyond that apparent sharpness is increased by how well the blade slips through hair, which is why they started adding coatings to their blades. So I wonder if the CNat takes it to a point where you can't feel the blade being any sharper even if the balsa is objectively sharper.
I also have no idea why this has happened. I am starting to feel that I was very lucky to get the (unique?) Cnat whetstone that I did. It definitely took a lot of work to get to learn how to use this Cnat.

The Cnat is very hard, does not self-slurry and slow is to cut. I have one side that is semi burnished that I use for finishing, first with plain water and then soapy water. The other side I use with a light slurry developed with a diamond plate.

My current progression for carbon steel blades is 1k, 3k & 8k (synthetics), Cnat with slurry, clean water and soapy water, then diamond pasted balsa.

I am only using my lapping films for my much harder stainless steel blades before the diamond pasted balsa.

I also have no idea why this has happened. I am starting to feel that I was very lucky to get the (unique?) Cnat whetstone that I did. It definitely took a lot of work to get to learn how to use this Cnat.

The Cnat is very hard, does not self-slurry and slow is to cut. I have one side that is semi burnished that I use for finishing, first with plain water and then soapy water. The other side I use with a light slurry developed with a diamond plate.

My current progression for carbon steel blades is 1k, 3k & 8k (synthetics), Cnat with slurry, clean water and soapy water, then diamond pasted balsa.

I am only using my lapping films for my much harder stainless steel blades before the diamond pasted balsa.
I have owned several of these Ghuangxi hones, and have yet to get a bad one. I am suprised that they seem to be looked down upon.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have owned several of these Ghuangxi hones, and have yet to get a bad one. I am suprised that they seem to be looked down upon.
Many appear to look down upon most things from China (PRC & ROC). It is their loss and helps keep demand and prices low for those of us who don't have a country of origin hangup.

I am thinking of getting another Adaee Chinese natural (Cnat) that is claimed to be about 5k grit. It is 180mm x 60mm x 15mm. Won't be cheap at about US$12 including shipping. If it doesn't work, it will make a good doorstop.

I bought a Chinese 12 k a few years ago when people started talking about them on here. It is a slow stone and I find some of my straight razors struggle to get a good finish when I use it, but other razors seem fine. I have other finishing stones now that I use, but I still use it now and again and for the price you can't really fault it, great if your starting off and dont want to spend a fortune.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
China is a large and geologically very old. The Chinese have been making swords, and I presume shaving, for well over 2,000 years. This is about twice as long as the Japanese. The Chinese have had plenty of time to sorted out what stones to use in sharpening their edges.

There may be a gold mine of different Chinese whetstones that we in the west have never even heard about.

The Chinese artisans focus more on their skills more than their tools and most are comfortable to certain sharpeness. Good quality stones are all used as inkstones that sells for thousands (maybe even more) in high demand vs few dollars as whetstone. Japanese just has a blade culture that worked well with whetstone.

The Chinese artisans focus more on their skills more than their tools and most are comfortable to certain sharpeness. Good quality stones are all used as inkstones that sells for thousands (maybe even more) in high demand vs few dollars as whetstone. Japanese just has a blade culture that worked well with whetstone.
Never heard of an inkstone before. Did some reading and now I learned a new thing, thank you.

Top Bottom