What's new

My first dance with Arko

To clarify - my belief is that beginners should start with the best, so as to be able to properly assess the quality of everything else. You need a yardstick in order to make a rank order of preference. So do you start at the bottom of the rank order and work up, or do you start at the top and eliminate those below it? In my view it's easier to eliminate non-contenders. How do you assess what's "better" when you don't know how "good" good is?

perhaps, but getting the best is so subjective. And budgets are different. Why get a Gillette tech or any DE for that matter to start shaving when you should be getting a custom 9/8s. All the quibbling about synthetics, when mustang knots are the bees knees.

Those soaps you disdain are absolutely good enough for any wetshaver.

perhaps, but getting the best is so subjective. And budgets are different. Why get a Gillette tech or any DE for that matter to start shaving when you should be getting a custom 9/8s. All the quibbling about synthetics, when mustang knots are the bees knees.

Exactly!
:a14::a14::a14:

This is the point - as a beginner I was told exactly this - that these mass-market soaps were "good enough for any wetshaver". I'm a wet shaver and they were in no way good enough for me, so this just isn't true. Why would so many people buy so many top tier artisan soaps if they weren't better than mass-market soaps? I just don't get this.

This is the point - as a beginner I was told exactly this - that these mass-market soaps were "good enough for any wetshaver". I'm a wet shaver and they were in no way good enough for me, so this just isn't true. Why would so many people buy so many top tier artisan soaps if they weren't better than mass-market soaps? I just don't get this.
And last I checked, Rolex was still in business.

for realz? you dont get hype and fomo?

I don't buy the "artisan soaps are hype" argument. I have 30 of them and they are perfectly real and they have subtle scents which are a pleasure to use again and again. I don't buy for reputation - I buy for results. I sold a bunch of B&M, DG and T&S soaps because the scents were disappointing. Actually Arko smelled better than all the T&S soaps I had.

I don't buy the "artisan soaps are hype" argument. I have 30 of them and they are perfectly real and they have subtle scents which are a pleasure to use again and again. I don't buy for reputation - I buy for results. I sold a bunch of B&M, DG and T&S soaps because the scents were disappointing. Actually Arko smelled better than all the T&S soaps I had.
Sweet. And I sold every tub of my Grooming Dept. for the exact same reason. See how it works? People have different opinions on these things. Every thread on this forum doesn't need to address the perceived superiority of GD.
That said... Arko.

What is this sorcery?

This soap is, quite simply, excellent! I went the route of leaving it in stick form and face lathering. I could stand to use a stiffer brush next time, but it still did awesome.

I’m trying to place the scent. The SO thinks that it smells like candy. I think it smells somewhat like lime. I paired it with Stirling’s post shave balm in Lime as a result. I like the mix.

Super happy that I decided to try it!

Candy??? You poor thing what have you been eating all your life mothballs lol?

Arko has a scent that can be used as a smelling salt lol!

Joking aside, I've noticed a definite reduction of insects in my bathroom since I got a couple sticks of Arko but, it a truly amazing soap!

Candy??? You poor thing what have you been eating all your life mothballs lol?

Arko has a scent that can be used as a smelling salt lol!

Joking aside, I've noticed a definite reduction of insects in my bathroom since I got a couple sticks of Arko but, it a truly amazing soap!

Haha! I have no idea why she thinks it smells like candy. Nor can she identify what type of candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used Arko exclusively for three years or so and don’t find the citron scent offensive at all. The soap is a very good performer and a very good deal relative to cost. I narrowed down my rotation to four soaps I consider favorites. Tabac, MWF, Haslinger Schafmilch and Arco. I would say Arko has some pretty impressive company.

Top Bottom