What's new

My first dance with Arko

I thought I was ordering 1 stick of Arko and ended up with an entire box, luckily I like the smell. From here it looks close to a lifetime supply

...So yeah, there is just something to be said for the simple utility of Arko (and Tabac, Speick, Proraso, et al). It's inexpensive, it's easy to find, easy to use and it gets the job done...

I am at the point in my life where I am becoming more pragmatic. I as well have tried a boatload of artisan soaps and one thing stands out above all the BS: they don't actually shave any better than Arko, Tabac, Speick, etc. What you are paying for is a hoidy toidy scent and purported post shave feel. Oh, you're also paying for the education of the artisans' children. :wink:

Why is that so important when the shave only lasts a few minutes? As well, don't you use an AS?

I never use an AS. I rely on the fragrance of the soaps I use, and because I face lather and have a good sniff as I do so, I get to savour a lot of the aroma. Scent is important to me.

I never use an AS. I rely on the fragrance of the soaps I use, and because I face lather and have a good sniff as I do so, I get to savour a lot of the aroma. Scent is important to me.

I envy you. As soon as i start lathering, my nose becomes oblivious to pleasant scents, unless i stop and take deep breaths. On the contrary, i seem to be perceiving unpleasant scents for longer.

I am at the point in my life where I am becoming more pragmatic. I as well have tried a boatload of artisan soaps and one thing stands out above all the BS: they don't actually shave any better than Arko, Tabac, Speick, etc. What you are paying for is a hoidy toidy scent and purported post shave feel. Oh, you're also paying for the education of the artisans' children. :wink:

I am not sure I can agree with this conclusion.

I love and shave with both Arko and Tabac. They both have a permanent home in my shave den. To me Tabac shaves a little bitty bit nicer than Arko, but it's close, and hard to notice the difference unless I shave with one the day after the other.

Nonetheless, the artisan soaps I've tried so far DO in fact shave a little better than either of them do. Noticeably. Not a huge amount, but surely enough to notice. They are slicker, offer a more stable lather, better residual slickness, and similar to better protection/ cushion.

The difference in performance is not equal to the difference in price - we are surely high on the curve of diminishing returns, but they are improvements. As slowly as soap wears down, now that I know I am sticking with wet shaving, the price doesn't bother me all that much. If I had to replace soap more often, the price might be more of a concern.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just received my third 12 pack of Arko this AM. That’s 24 sticks in 10 years with a few given away. I only use three other soaps now and all perform about the same and all are old brands.

I've tried the cheapo soaps like Arko, Proraso, etc. I've also tried artisan stuff like Wholley Kaw. The artisan soaps feel creamier and more dense. Maybe not any slicker, but creamier and my face feels less dry afterwards. So quit acting like they're equal in quality.

Alright, time to order some Arko. Pretty cheap on that river website.

Edit****

Although Arko is a good performer, I looked at the soap stash and backed out. Like many other here, I have too many soaps.

Last edited:
I've tried the cheapo soaps like Arko, Proraso, etc. I've also tried artisan stuff like Wholley Kaw. The artisan soaps feel creamier and more dense. Maybe not any slicker, but creamier and my face feels less dry afterwards. So quit acting like they're equal in quality.

We are talking shave quality, i.e., the actual shave performance and not scent nor post shave feel. Those two are totally subjective and for some not important.

My mind is made up. I'm not going to buy expensive artisan soaps. I don't care if they do give a little better shave. I'm not going to buy dozens or hundreds of artisan soaps to find one better than the Williams Mug soap I use. Arko also gives a great shave for a low cost. Many are satisfied with that combination. I did get a puck of Arko I'll 3017 after I use up my Williams. Maybe I'll switch permanently. Who knows?

I have never tried Arko, but have tried a similarly priced soap and those at the lower end of the price range.
They gave a decent shave. However, I liked them nowhere as much as SV which I now mainly use. This leaves with a superlative shave, both when face lathering and the final rinse.
It depends on what you are happy with. The reason I use SV, is that my skin is now great, before it felt far from perfect, indeed, I had acne until taking up de shaving with proper soap, and now love the skin I feel a better soap gives me.

My mind is made up. I'm not going to buy expensive artisan soaps. I don't care if they do give a little better shave. I'm not going to buy dozens or hundreds of artisan soaps to find one better than the Williams Mug soap I use. Arko also gives a great shave for a low cost. Many are satisfied with that combination. I did get a puck of Arko I'll 3017 after I use up my Williams. Maybe I'll switch permanently. Who knows?

You are a wise man, most of this artisan soap talk is hokum. Marketing and placebo effect.

@steveclarkus is gifting me some Arko. My usual soap in VDH Luxury because it contains glycerin. I consider glycerin an important ingredient in order to establish a hydrated later.

What beginners should do or shouldn't is nonsense. There were men who started shaving with a Barbasol Floating Head and Barbasol shaving Crème.

We get into the weeds and some of it is interesting, but in the end, it's just shaving where most everything will work.

My face and experiences, plus a willingness to except what is right before my eyes. I get great, comfortable, close shaves, what else could you want.

That's all very nice and good. But how do you provide any evidence that "artisan soap talk is hokum, marketing and placebo effect."?

Bear in mind that all the artisans I'm aware of are people of integrity who put their heart and soul into their businesses.

No offense to those who like to experiment with different scents, but my mind is especially made up about not liking a strong scent. In fact, I prefer as little as possible, which is the reason I prefer Williams over Arko. I would shave with Gillette Foamy before I'd shave with an artisan soap. Despite all the negativity surrounding foams, I find the shave with them is just as good as any other lathering product I've tried.

Last edited:
Top Bottom